New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Would you?  (Read 799 times)

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Would you?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 10:08:38 PM »
food is food  ##$%#111  when do we eat
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 10:18:16 PM »
There are many in this state that say " if it's brown it's down " , always nice to put something in the freezer .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline AaronS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • Prepper Community
  • 12 Point
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 07:11:41 AM »
Congrats on the buck neighbor!
If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
1 cross + 3 nails = 4given

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
QDMA Member

www.santapawspetpark.com

Offline 4blade

• 6 Point
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 07:13:52 AM »
Nice deer and congratulations.

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 10:04:16 AM »
If I'm hunting meat then yes I would. Here the farmers don't want you to pass anything small deer eat just like big ones to them. I would usually pass a young spike but if he has got some age on him say 3yrs he is done. I agree there is no right or wrong here as long as you are happy I say roll on it's your hunt your tag your decision.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline lefthandpale

• Spike
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 10:33:04 AM »
If I know my buck population is up I will take one as I hunt for the freezer mostly. Big boy walks by I will try to take him down. I can't eat the antlers.

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 03:18:31 PM »
We have a one buck rule here in Indiana, so now if Mr. Big walks by, i will have to pass on him and wait for MRS Big.
There is always next year. @--0--0117
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline weberj62

• 4 Point
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 10:03:31 PM »
I have but he was stalking me. No for real he followed me up until I got to this gaint oak and was at full draw when he walk in at ten yards.

But in the early days is first come first serv e.  Got a family to feed then will bone hunt.
 ##$%#15
respect my authority!!!!

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 07:22:48 PM »
Me personally no, I am holding myself to deer that are at least four years old....but I won't say its wrong either.  The land I'm hunting is my own property so I am managing it for more mature bucks.  I often carry kids from church or my 72 year old Dad, I allow them to kill anything legal.
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
  • Deer Hunter---Landowner-BEAR CREEK Hunting Lodge
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 08:32:09 AM »
I would pass as well but, don't begrudge those who do. I too believe taking an adult doe would be better suited.
QDMA,NRA,SCOPE ,MEMBER.Retired in March of 2014 after 30 yrs in Law Enf.

Offline Powers450r

• 10 Point
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 09:00:50 AM »
We only get 1 buck tag. I think hunting for freezer he is great meat. I usually try to hold out for a big one but when it gets late in season I'd rather eat the spike than the tag.
The Hoosier Buck Empire Team
The Clover is Green
The Trees are Tall
I wait quietly not to be Seen
So I may put you on my Wall
One only knows what one can Teach

Offline Huntinggrandma

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Me when I was in uniform, for wedding annoucement
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 09:18:24 AM »
if it is legal it is down until the freezer is full, than we start passing on younger deer
A life member of NRA
NY lifetime Sportmen License holder
US Army WAC vet 62-68 SP5

Offline jackson

• Spike
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 03:12:47 PM »
will I have plan A and plan B  plan A  says I go until muzzle loader season to try and get the big boy on the block . BUT when muzzleloader season comes in I go to Plan B which says if it is brown put it on the ground. But all kidding aside I still try to get a 6 point or better. or a nice big Doe . South western Ohio we do have some nice big farm land Does. 

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 04:51:20 PM »
I have, I usually know what our age count is in the area I hunt and a couple of times I have taken spike and 4 point yearlings for the freezer.  Don't get me wrong I would not pass up taking that big guy but I fill me freezer first during hunting season.  In Virginia we get 6 deer tags.  Once the freezer is taken care of and a few folks I know love to get the meat then I sit and wait for Mr. Wonderful.

This is exactly how I feel too. In Alabama you can shoot more than enough deer over the course of a season so I'll fill the freezer with a decent size Spike or Doe and then wait for Mr. Trophy! Normally I get Does and let Spikes pass but if the freezer is empty a Spike could be in trouble if he's of any decent size!
Air Force Veteran

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 09:54:20 PM »
Used to be that I would try to shoot the first buck I saw, as we get one buck tag only (unless you get the combo license, which costs more money, but you can take 2 bucks)  After shooting a real nice buck, I have become a bit more discriminating, but I still hunt for meat.  Last year I passed up a 6 pt (after an 8pt and 9pt were taken at my place) and ended up not filling my buck tag.  This year, no, I would not pass a spike.  I only have 2 packages of venison left (after having taken 2 does last season)
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

New Page 3

Google Ad