New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Great day turned to crap  (Read 1276 times)

Offline AaronS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • Prepper Community
  • 12 Point
Great day turned to crap
« on: October 07, 2014, 03:03:54 PM »
Here's the story I almost didn't write.  I know it happens to a lot of us sooner or later (this isn't the first time for me), but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow.  I also hesitated writing because I hate giving any ammo to the antis.

Saturday started out as one of those hunting days you dream about.  A cold front moved in Friday, and we went from highs in the mid 80's Thursday to a high of 59 Saturday.  We had a strong wind out of the west, the sun was shining, and the deer were enjoying it as much as I was.

7:30 Central time I see movement downhill from me and it turns out to be a bachelor group of 4 bucks.  There was one 1.5 year old 4 pointer with a 12 inch spread, a 3.5 year old 8 pointer with a 17 inch spread, a 3.5 year old 10 pointer with a 16 inch spread, and a 4.5 or 5.5 year old 8 pointer with a 20 inch spread.  I watched through binocs as they fed on acorns and browse 60 yards below me for almost 30 minutes.  I tried calling but they weren't interested.  They eventually fed off into the thickness of the neighbor's wood that was logged 2 years ago.  10 minutes later a small 5 pointer came through.  He even looked at me and smelled my tree.  Then 35 minutes later a spike and 2 does come in, feed a few minutes under the persimmon trees next to me then leave.  Thatís 8 deer, 6 of which were bucks. 

Around 9:45 I decided to sneak out.  I knew with the high wind I could get out unnoticed, and that I might be able to get back in to the same stand that evening and cut off the bucks on their way back to my food plot.  One can hope, right?  For once, a plan actually worked.

3:30 found me back in the stand.  At 4:40, I saw the smaller 8 pointer feeding below me at the same spot the bachelor group had fed that morning.  He eventually fed off to the east.  An hour later he was back in the same spot.  I watched him for a while through my binocs, wondering where his 2 friends were.  After a bit I heard something, and it took a minute for it to register that it was 2 bucks sparring on the edge of my plot.  I searched but there were too many trees and leaves between them and I to see them.  After a couple of minutes they quit and moved further into the plot where I could see them.  It was the 10 pointer and the big 8.

By then the wind had died down, so I gave a couple of loud grunts.  Iíve never had bucks respond as good as these did!  They came right into the woods and headed my way.  That stand is 80 yards in from the plot, and the big 8 stopped half way to me to rub a sapling.  Heíd take a few steps and scan the area for the ďother buckĒ, then come a little closer.  He stopped and rubbed another sapling about 20 yards from me.  He was quartering towards me and was behind limbs, so I had no other option than to wait (and shake).

He soon headed toward the persimmon trees and I drew my bow when he passed behind a tree 10 yards away.  Just like that he changed his mind and turned, moving to my left.  He paused for a bit in the brush, but soon stopped right in the middle of my mowed lane, 15 yards in front of me.  I settled the pin where I wanted, pulled the trigger, and watched him run off with the vast majority of my arrow hanging out of his shoulder.  I somehow apparently caught part of the shoulder blade and only got a few inches of penetration.  I was (and am) sick.  I was able to trail him about 300 yards before he stopped bleeding, and never did find my arrow.  I found online today who owns the property in the direction he headed, so Iíll call them tonight to ask them to call me if they find him or my arrow.  I fully expect him to heal up because Iíve seen deer hit there heal just fine in the past.  Heíll be sore and limping, but should heal up and still chase does.  At this point I pray that I see him again and have the chance to redeem myself, but this stinks.  I wonít guess his score as an 8, but I know if he would be a 10 pointer with the frame he has, heíd score in the mid 150ís.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 03:05:43 PM by AaronS »
If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
1 cross + 3 nails = 4given

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
QDMA Member

www.santapawspetpark.com

TalkHunting Community

Great day turned to crap
« on: October 07, 2014, 03:03:54 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BeaglePup

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Great day turned to crap
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 03:23:36 PM »
Happens to us all, maybe not on a buck like that but it does.  I have creased my share over the past 39 years.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 03:23:44 PM »
You are right. Most of us have been there and if you haven't, you will eventually. Nothing I can say to make you feel better about it but it does show your character that you are upset..  Maybe you will have another shot at him.
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 03:30:07 PM »
tough one....it does show character that you "feel" it....hopefully he survives and you get another chance...don,t beat yourself up as it is a game of inches and it happens

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 03:33:01 PM »
Been there, done that as well. Yes, your character as a true outdoorsman is exemplary because it bothers you. It would for any of us but unfortunately it does happen and we deal with it, sometimes a lot more internally than we show. He will heal to fight another day and you will heal also to fight another day. It does take the steam out of us for awhile though, I do remember that. Get back out there. You don't need to 'redeem' yourself, just go out and be who you are and another opportunity will present itself!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 04:19:55 PM »
I agree with everyone else here. Don't beat yourself up. It has happened to all of us. Sure you feel bad that shows your an ethical hunter. Congrats on that and be proud of it. My stand partner took a beauty of a 10 point a few years back. It had an arrow stuck through its left ham, broadhead and fletching still intact. Amazing he had survived but he did.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 04:48:09 PM »
Sorry to hear your story, but it happens to us all sooner or later> Still hurts!!
Better luck next time out----maybe he will show up again!? @--0--0101
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 04:56:03 PM »
like everyone said, it happens. doesn't sound like a lot of penetration. my bet is he'll lay low for a few weeks and be good as new. that's the good news anyway

good luck. hopefully you get another crack at him
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 07:35:42 AM »
It happened to me for the first time last year.  I still replay it in my head trying to figure out what went wrong.  In the end it is what it is, as everyone else has said, eventually it happens.   We can practice all we want to perfect our skills but while a target is immobile the hunting environment is totally dynamic and unpredictable.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline ordindy1

• 2013 Turkey Champion
  • 8 Point
  • There are none so blind as those that will not see
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 07:49:46 AM »
It does happen, but that doesn't make it any easier to take.
Just curious. What is your bow set at, and what broad heads are you shooting?
I blew threw a shoulder blade at 15 yards once.
Turkey Championship Winner 2011, 2012 & 2013
Been hunting for 45 years.

Offline AaronS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • Prepper Community
  • 12 Point
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 08:59:58 AM »
Thanks everyone.

It does happen, but that doesn't make it any easier to take.
Just curious. What is your bow set at, and what broad heads are you shooting?
I blew threw a shoulder blade at 15 yards once.

Bow is set at 70 pounds, 31 inch draw, shooting 100 grain 4 blade Slick Tricks on the end of a carbon arrow.  I can see not having an issue with a younger deer but this was a tough old guy.
If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
1 cross + 3 nails = 4given

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
QDMA Member

www.santapawspetpark.com

Offline ordindy1

• 2013 Turkey Champion
  • 8 Point
  • There are none so blind as those that will not see
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 09:17:53 AM »
Yep, sounds like that should work?
Those big boys are a different animal that's for sure.
Better luck next time.
Turkey Championship Winner 2011, 2012 & 2013
Been hunting for 45 years.

Offline lefthandpale

• Spike
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 10:22:27 AM »
I did the same thing on a doe last year. Saw her on camera just a couple of days later doing just fine.

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 10:23:07 AM »
It happens to everyone sooner or later, but sounds like he will recover with few or no effects
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 10:53:24 AM »
Sorry to hear been there...they are tough..
I once shot a 7 pt dogging a doe....I had a beautiful huge 8pt I was waiting to come in for a shot just 30 yrds from me when a doe brought the 7pt in...his rack was all messed up and he was limping when I saw what I thought was a arrow shaft sticking up between his shoulder blades...I took one last look at the 8pt said have a nice day and shot the 7pt...he barely flinched and walked away...When I got to him It was apparent that he had been hit by a car...still in velvet during the summer. His ribs broke, sending one up and half way out of him...the front left side was a mess when we skinned him and his hide and meat looked funky leathery  under the hide..and like he managed to fight off an infection...I drove him to the DEC and turned him in for a new tag...

So I'm sure if the arrow didn't work it's way in to either bleed him out or take lung and you find him...then he'll be fine...Good luck
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:45:27 PM by growalot »

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad