New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Mock Scrapes  (Read 805 times)

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
Re: Mock Scrapes
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 07:03:44 PM »
I used the Code Blue Scrape stuff that comes in the vacuum packed bag. I made a scrape that afternoon and had pictures of a buck working on it that night. I also poured some Bob Kirschner Silver Top lure into it as well. I made two scrapes and had a buck picture in one and hoof prints in the other. I've used other products in scrapes with not a lot of success. I read recently where freshly turned dirt is a good way to attract bucks to start making scrapes there. Someone mentioned that above in a comment as well.
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 08:20:09 PM »
Yes, the fresh dirt thing seems to get them going - - I've often wondered about that in areas with a high turkey population - with all of that scratching going on, do the bucks lose their mind?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 10:43:51 AM »
I read an article years ago and had to try it. The author wrote that almost any type of smell would attract deer to a scrape, even human urine. About 5 years ago I gave it a shot. I made a mock scrape and urinated in it. I then put a camera on it and left. 2 weeks later, I had pictures of does and young bucks in the scrape. Now before anyone says "yeah, but you didn't get any pictures of big bucks" I have to say we NEVER got pictures of big bucks in that area anyway. Too much hunting pressure..

That was the day I quit carrying a pee bottle in the stand. I have peed in several scrapes since then...
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
  • Deer Hunter---Landowner-BEAR CREEK Hunting Lodge
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »
I made three mock scrapes today and hope to make three more this week . Still playing catch up managing my land and hope to get in the woods hunting soon . Just starting to notice some scrapes and some revisted rub lines...
QDMA,NRA,SCOPE ,MEMBER.Retired in March of 2014 after 30 yrs in Law Enf.

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 04:38:56 PM »
Thanks for the info. Here's what I plan on doing in 5 - 10 days.

Hang my dripper outside in five days. This way dripper will be adjusted to the day time dripping when put in use.

Use scent control at all time while making a mock scrape.

Find a natural hanging branch to put my dripper on. If no branch is available 4-6 feet from the ground tie a branch to that level.

Scrape out an area below the branch. Make sure fresh dirt is exposed. I'll use the horns I made for rattling.

Pee in the exposed fresh dirt area and put buck scent on hanging branch.

Climb into my treestand and wait for Mr. Big to come by.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 05:46:26 PM »
Sounds like a plan!

However I wouldn't hang the dripper on the licking branch. Put it up high over the scrape. It's unnatural so I try to put them about 7 ft high(as high as I can reach).  The licking branch is a licking branch. They also rub their interdigital gland secretions on it. I order Harmon's interdigital gland scent online and put that on the licking branch.  Harmon's gives good service.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

New Page 3

Google Ad