New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Mock Scrapes  (Read 801 times)

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
Mock Scrapes
« on: September 23, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »
What scent do you use? Do you use a dripper? There are usually fresh scrapes in my neck of the woods on Halloween. Would you make a mock scrape the week before Halloween or wait until you saw a fresh scrape?
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Mock Scrapes
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 05:05:38 PM »
I have used a dripper and they do work . You can put one out when you see scraps in your area , try to put them near or on a well used trail if you can and try to use a natural overhanging branch if you can . Here is a picture of one of mine . 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:05:17 PM by sundowner »
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 05:53:02 PM »
they are field scraping at my place in Ashland already. very surprising.

I personally think it's the smell of fresh earth that sparks there curiosity. I normally clear the leaves before I get in stand. you'd be surprised how many deer want right to the spot

I've pee'ed in some w/ good luck too. no sure fire answer from what I've read. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline GOLEE

• 7 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 06:16:52 PM »
I like to get in the woods on those proven scrape/Rub lines and set a tree stand or a bull blind. I have seen the same consistent thing for years, with the same size tree, limb ect... that has a scrape under it.. I simulate that tree that they like to lick the lower hanging branches and make a scrape under it. So I go down a line and pull limbs to about 4-6 ft and tie them back in the summer, making a line in a area on a trail that adds to the potential of scrapes in that line.. Since our rut is just starting on our gun opener, I go in there at noon opening day and check for the scrapes, and generally find that there there, when I run my camera, I find that their mostly nocturnal.. I find the largest one in that group and hit it with dominant buck tinks, and it will get that buck or bucks going during the night and day now, thinking he has another buck cruising his area for doe.. The big Boy will wear his self out checking that scrape line.. I have killed 2 really nice deer doing this, and lost the deer of my life 2 years ago. I had night trail pics of him making the scrapes, and when I doctored the line, he came in at daytime 2 days in a row.. He got passed me both times.. But I pulled him.. It works on those dominant scrape lines for sure.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:19:27 PM by GOLEE »
By Gods Grace I lived
NRA Member
Scout Master
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 07:25:12 PM »
golee...never heard that one before...sounds like a good idea that may be worth trying here for those nocturnal fellows

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
  • Deer Hunter---Landowner-BEAR CREEK Hunting Lodge
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 07:26:21 AM »
I've tried drippers before,gels,dominant buck lures in the past but to no avail. I recently saw on a hunting program a spray can by Buck Bomb called Scape blaster.It worked on TV and might be worth trying.Of course I had to buy it...I like the concept and might not leave too much of your scent if you spray it on your mock site. I wonder if anyone has had any luck with those other buck bomb products.... ##$%#116
QDMA,NRA,SCOPE ,MEMBER.Retired in March of 2014 after 30 yrs in Law Enf.

Offline GOLEE

• 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 07:33:39 AM »
I've tried drippers before,gels,dominant buck lures in the past but to no avail. I recently saw on a hunting program a spray can by Buck Bomb called Scape blaster.It worked on TV and might be worth trying.Of course I had to buy it...I like the concept and might not leave too much of your scent if you spray it on your mock site. I wonder if anyone has had any luck with those other buck bomb products.... ##$%#116
I have never used the buck bomb.. cant say on that one, I have used all of the tinks products, code blue and golden estrus.
By Gods Grace I lived
NRA Member
Scout Master
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 08:54:25 AM »
I've also used a lot of scent products on scrapes and mock scrapes. I've put cameras on them and studied results. Some products seemed to turn away deer.

The best product I have used has been Active Scrape by Wildlife Research.  I get much better results with active scrape using a dripper.  I have gotten pics of bucks and does on mock scrapes doctored up with active scrape.  I have also got pics of coyotes and a bobcat peeing on my scrapes.  Active Scrape seems to work the best for me with a dripper.

My advice would be to choose 2-3 products and conduct your own study with trail cams.  Then let the deer tell you what works best. Then next year you will know and should have some fun working your scrapes.  Make sure you wear rubber boots and rubber or nitrile gloves and go overboard on scent control.  Try to time your trips into the woods to refill your drippers or change out memory cards before or during rain. It helps to remove your scent and you will see more activity. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 05:12:50 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.  Good luck hunting to all!!!    %^$^

Offline Woods Walker

• 6 Point
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 10:38:06 PM »
I used many different kinds of commerical scents in scrapes over the years and 99% of the time they ignored it. The other 1% it spooked them away (Tinks Gel). That's when I threw all that stuff out and started peeing in scrapes with my own "lure". It's worked FAR better than anything else I ever used. My hormones are the same as a buck's so when they smell mine they may wonder, "Now just who in the heck is THIS *&^%$ in my area??

Does seem to be curious about it too. Maybe they wonder who the new stud in town is!

Either way, it's FREE, it works, and it comes with it's own multi-purpose applicator.
Hunt hard,

Kill swiftly,

Waste nothing,

Offer no apologies.

>>>---------------------------->

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 10:21:14 AM »
Interesting Woods Walker. I will try that. For those who use drippers. How long do you wait to hunt after putting your dripper out?

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »

Interesting Woods Walker. I will try that. For those who use drippers. How long do you wait to hunt after putting your dripper out?
I see no reason to wait. If it's an active scrape he's in the area. If it's a mock scrape catch him by surprise. Good luck!
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 11:23:10 AM »
I have tried everything and have no luck with any of it.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline lefthandpale

• Spike
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 08:35:58 AM »
I have never tried a mock scrape. but the responses on here has got me interested in trying some this year.

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 09:24:17 AM »
Man I'll never forget them scrapes we used to see in northern Missouri. They were the size of car hoods. It would really get the excitement level up to come across a line of scrapes like that and see the size of some of the tracks and cedar trees 8-12 inches in diameter shredded.  We don't see that stuff down here.  Dang I miss Missouri. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

New Page 3

Google Ad