New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Groupings  (Read 470 times)

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Groupings
« on: September 17, 2014, 09:27:25 AM »
have you ever experienced your shots grouping better the farther out you go? When I start out I start 10-15 yards then go 20-30 and stay there a while. Then as season gets closer I start heading back to the shorter shots...What happens is my groups are farther apart and a bit low at the short distances and at the 30 yrd mark I have to be careful not to "robin hood" and they group a little high on first shots...I dial my eye and form in, but when I go back to the shorter shots I'm back to spaced and low  until I shoot a few. All that said...
This is on the ground...when practicing out of the stand this doesn't happen @--0--0117 I wonder if it's because I shoot instinctive and have gotten so use to shooting low at close range in an elevated stand..

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: Groupings
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:43:18 AM »
Aim small, miss small.

You didn't say but I assume you are shooting with fingers and likely a recurve/longbow?  Either way same rules apply.

I've shot a lot of trad bows using various sighting methods and all out instinctive.    My guess is that you feel more comfortable with the shorter shots so you are not as focused, whether you are truly conscious of it or not.

The closer you get try picking out a smaller spots to focus on.  Even if it's down to an individual hair for close shots.

Also when shooting from an elevated position are you lowering your arm or bending at the waist?  Lowering the arm changes the geometry of your form and will change you draw length.   This is a problem for all types of bows but more so if you are not pulling against the wall that compounds have.  Bending at the waist keeps everything else aligned and will cause less of a variation or high/low from various heights.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:44:49 AM by MI_Bowhunter »
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline growalot

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 12:10:19 PM »
No I am not I shoot a compound with a release....I started out..hhhmmm 18 years ago shooting a recurve /fingers then for 15years shot a compound /fingers...but the new bow I had to go with a release...Oh always bend at waist......It's never a problem because I rarely ground hunt...I think I'm noticing it more this year because the knee has me doing much more ground shooting...my tree stand sessions have all been great...I have even noticed, unlike some years,when tired.... I tend to pull to the left...I shoot a bow rt. handed but am left eye dominate...I shoot a left handed gun...Anyhow this year that's not happening  which is good..I have downed a few doe with shoulder shots due to that left drift...which is why I will never use mechanicals they drop were they stand and the broad head has gone through both shoulders...

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 12:15:53 PM »
Interesting, I have not run across very many, if any, that shoot instinctively with a compound and release.  Could be that your brain has learned to compensate for the elevation and just needs to learn to adjust to the new angles.  It's also possible that you are somehow compensating somewhere for the instability of your knee.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline growalot

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 03:27:52 PM »
Now that could be it...though I'm still trucking along the knee is in the fore front of my thoughts...with it' subtle  nag nag nagging...my usual stance is off... though as said good in stand and when I say spread I mean 2-4 inches. Just wondering if anyone else noticed farther shots being better grouped than closer ones..

Offline Webfoot96

• Fawn
  • Puttin' folks on webbed footed creatures.
    • James Creek Outfitters
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
You couldn't even consider my farther shots a "group" LOL!

Web
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic, you're really just doin 'em a favor!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 07:52:19 PM »
30 yards is my magic distance. I think I get bored at 20. i'm even better at 40 than 20. very odd
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad