New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Question for you Archery Gurus  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Webfoot96

• Fawn
  • Puttin' folks on webbed footed creatures.
    • James Creek Outfitters
Question for you Archery Gurus
« on: September 15, 2014, 07:59:51 PM »
OK Guys and Gals.  I love sitting in a tree stand, bow in hand.  I'm by no means an expert and my equipment leaves me wondering so here goes.  Last year pull the bow out of the hard case to start practicing and I'm shooting nice groups but all high and right.  Make the sight adjustment and I'm good to go.  This year pull the bow out and start fliggin aeros and the same thing - high and right with very good groups.

Does this mean something needs "tuned" or is it just normal for a bow to get "silly" in storage?  I have enough adjustment to dial her in but I'm really wondering what makes this happen.  I treat her gingerly even though she is in a hard case and it still happens.

Any ideas?

Web
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic, you're really just doin 'em a favor!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Question for you Archery Gurus
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 08:12:08 PM »
happens all the time to me. it's just a matter of duplicating the exact form from last year. after a month you will get back to your hunting form. it could be as simple as your anchor point, what part of your hand the bow is resting on, are you centering the pin in the peep, bubble level, flinch before the shot....

I never move my sight after a long rest. the form comes back w/ practice. at first, just go for reps and build up your strength. I shoot 40+ arrows for 2 weeks 3-5 times a week. after that, I concentrate on hunting conditions and making every shot smooth and exact and look for a surprise release. I also make sure my pin stays on the target until the arrow hits. don't try to watch your arrow. makes a huge difference

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline tikkaman

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Hunt in Iron Range MN & Dunn County WI
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 08:18:31 PM »
As the great and wise Dutch hunter says, practice. 
Hunt with your kids not for your kids
Mathews switchback
Tikka T3 lite S/S  30-06

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 08:58:25 PM »
Strings will stretch a bit over time but I think the issue is as already been mentioned. After a long break you are not using the same form as you were before. It does not take much of a variance in how you are applying pressure to the grip or anchoring to cause this.  Shooting a bit to get those muscles back in shape will help a lot.

If its been a few years since you had a new string/cables you may want to check the timing on the cams just to be sure. If the string has stretched its nothing more than a few twists in the right place to get things back into alignment. Most bow shops should be able to check it for you.

Sent from my Barnett Raptor using alien technology

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:18:02 PM »
string stretch is a real issue but what you generally see there is low shots. Sounds like your grip may be too tight or your not letting the bow fall out of your hand after release.
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline bberger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 10:40:50 AM »
This is one reason I love the IQ bow sight, that little dot makes sure you keep the same form every time.
Bob Berger, Chief Engineer, WHBF, KGCW, ThisTV
Rock Island, IL

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:04:03 AM »
 ##$%#1119  never had it change from year to year     @--0--0117  not sure
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 01:17:53 PM »
Lots of things change from year to year. On the bow and your body, get it set for you now and you should be good to go for a while.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 08:19:24 PM »
Could be a lot of things mentioned above here but as you, I am not a bow guru so at the first sign of trouble, I will take it to the bow shop and ask him to check the bow over, even had him watch me shoot to check my form. Don't panic and start changing everything. Most important, try to relax, analyze, check everything and it will come back around for you. Keep us posted!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline Webfoot96

• Fawn
    • James Creek Outfitters
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 06:15:48 PM »
Thanks for the help folks.  It got a little better tonight.  I'll just keep at it and keep you informed.  I do find it quite amazing that I can pick up a shotgun an smoke waterfowl after a six month layoff but have to regain form with a bow.  After all they both relate to muscle memory in one form or another.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out folks.

Web
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic, you're really just doin 'em a favor!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 08:00:19 PM »
there are a lot more moving parts w/ a bow than a shotgun. i'm a pretty good shotgunner. I've hit 47 out of 50 during sporting clay leagues, which I think is good. I can pick up a shotgun any day after a long layoff and hit 35-40

on the other hand, I've shot 298 out of 300 in an archery league. if I took 6 months off w/ a bow, i'd be lucky to hit 250.

it's apples and oranges. two totally different animals
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline GOLEE

• 7 Point
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 08:50:49 PM »
It certainly could be your bow mechanics.. However if it keeps happening, it could be your body mechanics when your cold and stiff, and tend to push a shot just a tad. then you warm up and start shooting straight.. You may try to warm up before shooting and see what happens.. If not its generally the sights... Or.. you may try to add some weight to the balance and force your self to pull in in at sighting.. Just guessing .. I have some similar issues with bow at first shot.. Im generally high.. I added some weight to pull my nose down and bingo.. My cold shots are grouping 3-4 inches, but with a CB..
By Gods Grace I lived
NRA Member
Scout Master
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity

Offline foodplot19

• 8 Point
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 09:04:46 PM »
All have hit on good points.
Are you left or right handed? Could be simple mechanics or that your draw length is wrong.

fp19
Class of 88
Journeyman Lineman 17 years
Love to spend time outside with the wife and kiddos
Proud to say everything on or with my bow is MADE IN USA!!! Mathews Switchback XT
Constant boredom interspersed with moments of shear terror!!
Team Backstrap Obsession 14'-15' Whitetail Championship

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 03:45:09 PM »
A lot of variable with a bow and also shooting a bow is a LOT mental. You can do a lot of shooting but still not improve if your form is off. I still do a mental checklist when I go to shoot and when I forget sometimes where the arrow hits on the target reminds me to go back start the checklist!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")
Cumberland Bowhunters Club

Offline Webfoot96

• Fawn
    • James Creek Outfitters
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 07:21:23 AM »
Well Folks,

I've taken a lot of your thoughts to heart and put them into practice.  Still shooting and REALLY bearing down.  Relaxing, concentrating, mental checklist etc. and I'm still high and right.  If I set the pin low and left on the target and release, I'm on the money.  Now here is a thought with a question.  If it is something in my form and it's that consistent, should I reset the sight to compensate for my issue at this point?  It's 3 weeks till go time for my week long archery hunt.  Two years ago it was two arrows, two dead deer.  Last year I didn't have the time to practice like I should have and missed two nice bucks in one week.  That's already in my head and what is going on now is not helping my mental state going in this year.  Thoughts?

Chuck

New Page 3

Google Ad