New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: question...anyone use 100 grain rage broadheads on crossbow  (Read 1628 times)

Offline gander

• 8 Point
question...anyone use 100 grain rage broadheads on crossbow
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:28:10 PM »
Hey guys...I have been using boltcutter broadheads on my excaliber for years but now going to try 100 grain three blade rage broadheads(mechanical) with my new excaliber matrix 380..anyone use these or have any info on them...thx

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
Re: question...anyone use 100 grain rage broadheads on crossbow
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:07:58 AM »
I used the 2 blade for years. In my experience, the mechanicals flew better than the fixed blades and the rage on the end of a crossbow bolt does some nasty stuff!
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline Tattooed Hunter

• 6 Point
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 11:21:27 AM »
I used rage 2 blade 125 gr in my Tenpoint.   Only had one get away.  arrow went in 8 inches broke off and found the other half within 5 yards great blood for 20-30 yards then drip, drip, nothing searched for 2 days, never found him.  Other than that, had great luck with the rage.  Much better than the Muzzies I was using.  The rage just fly better
A bad day hunting is better than a good day working.

Online BeaglePup

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 11:27:59 AM »
I used raged fixed and mechanical 125's on my cross bow.  But be careful, use the mechanical that are made for crossbows.  Several archery experts in my area have told me that compound bow broadheads are made a little different than the crossbow ones.  The force at which the cross bow fires can cause the mechanical broadheads for compounds to open upon firing.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline bberger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 11:40:48 AM »
Father in law uses 125gr 2 blade rage on his crossbow with good luck,  I cant speak from my own experience, we cant hunt with crossbows unless we have an injury that prohibits us from pulling a bow.
Bob Berger, Chief Engineer, WHBF, KGCW, ThisTV
Rock Island, IL

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 05:54:25 AM »
My son used the 100 grain two blades on both deer and turkey. They work great and fly better. You should be very happy with them also.

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 06:15:35 AM »
thx everyone..always a bit cautious when trying new equipment...even went to the source and they said they would be fine...if not sure people suggested using dental elastics for peace of mind

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 06:27:26 AM »
But be careful, use the mechanical that are made for crossbows.  Several archery experts in my area have told me that compound bow broadheads are made a little different than the crossbow ones.  The force at which the cross bow fires can cause the mechanical broadheads for compounds to open upon firing.

I heard that and I have also heard that this is more off an issue with high speed bows; ones exceeding 340+ fps.

I have not hunted with them but I have shot a std rage out of two crossbows (268fps/290fps) while field testing them them and they did not appear to open until impact.  The only reason I didn't take them to the field was another head was closer to my field tips poi.  (Unfortunately the other head, from what I could tell,  failed to open on impact   >:( when I needed it to)

You can hang a piece of paper a few inches in front of your broadhead target  when shooting.  If the broadhead has opened prior to hitting the paper the marks will be evident.   The paper should not be enough to make it open.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 01:47:25 PM »
I used a rage broad head on my xbow last year and it worked great. Just be sure the one made specifically for xbow's.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 02:47:05 PM »
I have had great success with 100 grain Rage broadheads and as every one has stated, make sure you buy the Rage Xbow heads as they are made to handle the added energy of the cross bow launch. My archery shop suggested that I try the Grim Reaper heads (Xbow) with my new Mission cross bow so I am going to give them a try this fall. I have shot several deer with my compound and the 100 grain Rage heads and the results were incredible.
Fox
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

New Page 3

Google Ad