New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Start of the rut  (Read 913 times)

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
Re: Start of the rut
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 07:54:16 AM »
Nov, 15th
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 09:26:06 AM »

Our little band of hunters usually think of prerut anything before November.  Our Seeking and Chasing phase November 1-14.  Peak breeding is  Nov 15-24th.  These are all approx dates that vary by days either way.  I Love being out hunting with a bow during the chasing phase, and usually schedule a full week during that time to be hunting.  Our biggest bucks have been taken in early October and later November.  But most of our sightings of big deer occur those first two weeks in November as things are winding up for actual breeding.   
The question is when does it start.   For us the bucks start scraping late October and start testing the waters.

I agree with 4Blade. IMO the rut is a multi phase process that occurs over 3-4 weeks. My favorite time to hunt is late October to about November 10. The bucks usually leave their bachelor groups in the last week or so of October. When this happens is when I tend to see the most buck movement.  The bucks are usually ready long before the doe's.  Then usually between around November 15-25 is when the breeding takes place. This is when you see the bucks running through the woods grunting with their tongues hanging out in exhaustion.  This 8-10 day window is entertaining.  You just never know what will come crashing through the woods.   During this time I'm only trophy hunting as the meat from either a doe or buck is not very good.  Hopefully by now I have a doe or two in the freezer and can enjoy hunting for a mature trophy the rest of the season.   
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline tiller

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • Hooks & Bullets Magazine
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 11:28:05 AM »
The middle two weeks of Nov.
Michigan's Hooks & Bullets Magazine, Co-owner / Publisher
First Flights Aviation Services, Aerial Photography
Cutting Edge Bindery LLC

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 01:52:19 PM »
The last week in January!
Air Force Veteran

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 11:29:17 AM »
I live in Southwest Wisconsin. The most buck activity on my land is the last week of October and the first week of November. This has been pretty consistent over the last 25 years.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »
Basing mine strictly off of when my fawns show up, ( first week in August the last four years) I would say 15 Jan-30th.
Gysgt USMC Retired

Offline bberger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 10:36:10 AM »
The rut is usually the first couple weeks in Nov.  Either the 1-2 week, or the 2-3 week,  and our 16 1/2 day gun season is always in the time frame,  which I am sure is part of the management plan, but makes bow hunting harder with everyone stomping through every batch of cover there is unless you have your own land.
Bob Berger, Chief Engineer, WHBF, KGCW, ThisTV
Rock Island, IL

Offline trashfishandcullbucks

• Button Buck
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 10:53:03 PM »
For those hunting in Texas, the link below is a good resource for determining the rut in your area:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/planning/rut_whitetailed_deer/
"The recreational value of game...is inverse to the artificiality of its origin" - Aldo Leopold

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »
Thanks TFACB. I've got that saved in my favorites and always re-read it each year.  It's based on science.  It's crazy how wide the time frame is in each area for breeding.  I try to focus on the peak times which are usually consistent with what I see in the field. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline GOLEE

• 7 Point
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 09:12:36 AM »
Good article.. I have seen this to be pretty accurate in the past, and looks to be right there again. As Russ stated, I apply this to actual field scouting reports, and Mine is about a week earlier, but  a very good article by TPWD..thanks for the info.
By Gods Grace I lived
NRA Member
Scout Master
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 01:57:57 PM »
mid nov is usually at prime time breeding here...late nov gets quiet and then dec. they want food...

Offline trashfishandcullbucks

• Button Buck
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 10:18:02 PM »
Even within a general area, the rut can vary quite a bit, largely due to the sex ratio.  Many folks don't seem to like doing it, but it is fairly simple to determine the rut for any property or area.  Fetuses mature at a fairly constant developmental growth rate, so it is easy to measure fetuses from harvested does and backdate to determine date of conception.  Obviously, the more does you collect, the better idea you will have of the entire breeding season.  Measureable fetuses can be collected 4-6 weeks after conception, so as long as the season is still open, the more does you can collect, the better the information you will have on the rut.  It is also nice to see the rutting season become shorter as the sex ratio tightens up over time.
"The recreational value of game...is inverse to the artificiality of its origin" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 01:56:38 AM »
Peak predicted 11/9/14

I may miss it as I will be in Nashville on business that week @--0--0126
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline staywarmguy

• Fawn
    • Stay warm. Hunt longer.
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »
I'm in NE Ohio and generally start hitting the stand for rut on halloween.
Stay warm. Hunt longer.
www.huntersapron.com

New Page 3

Google Ad