New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Rifled Chokes Accuracy?  (Read 903 times)

Offline jbow

• Spike
Rifled Chokes Accuracy?
« on: December 03, 2008, 09:49:16 AM »
In Tenn all of our WMAs are shotgun slugs only for deer so, I was trying to sight in a scope on my smoothbore Rem 870 using rifled slugs. The shot were pretty inconsistant.

An oldtimer that was there suggested a rifled choke that they make now. Does anyone have any experience with Rifled chokes?  I need to get the slugs consistant before I trust it to hunt with. Until then I will continue to use the Bow.   

Offline cc

• 2008 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: Rifled Chokes Accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 10:21:36 AM »
good question jbow been wondering the same thing.

Offline deerjunkie

• 6 Point
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 10:29:50 AM »
Two years ago I bought a slug barrel for my Mossburg.   It is a smooth bore barrel so I used rifled slugs.   I tried the 3" magnum slugs but when I put a scope on the gun I dropped back to 2 3/4" slugs.  I could get a 6 inch circle at 100 yds with it.

Offline pawguy

• 6 Point
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 03:20:28 PM »
i tried rifled chokes and did not get consistent grouping, i even tried letting others shoot gun but still was either 4 inch out at 100

i just recently bought a rifled barrel for my 870 cause that is what the buds use  and with rifled barrel and winchestor partition golds at 2 3/4 inch it is dead on at 100 and 2 inch low at 150

Offline one_eye

• Fawn
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »
I've been shooting rifled in NJ since 1975 mostly from a Remington 1100 smooth slug barrel .Even with a reciever mounted scope it shot 4'' or less groups @100 yds.With 870 or 1100 make sure the magizine cap stays tight.If possible get a full rifle barrel with canilever scope mount and shoot 2 3/4'' sabot slugs

Offline mikeypmcg

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • Spike
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »
these guys claim 2 in groups at 100 yds with a smoothbore barrel, i like them i am able to hold 4 in groups @ 100 yds with them.  Havent shot a deer with one yet, (been using the .308) but the damage they inflict to the plywood target and trees beyond is incredible!

http://www.brennekeusa.com/start.html
venison is yummy.

New Page 3

Google Ad