New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: fall hunting  (Read 593 times)

Offline 4blade

• 6 Point
fall hunting
« on: July 16, 2014, 11:30:56 AM »
Is it worth while targeting turkeys in fall or just have a tag in your pocket if one happens by while archery hunting deer ?  What does one do different than spring hunting over decoys ?  Thanks.

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
Re: fall hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »
In NY , the Spring of course the Gobblers are gobbling and you can locate them and work them...in the Fall we can harvest either sex so usually you find out where there feeding and where they roost and try to get them in either place.  the Hens will come to a young kee-kee call or lost poult call .  its not as exciting in the fall as it is in the Spring (to me) .  You sort of decoy and bushwhack them coming in to the decoys.  The males usually separate from the Hens and Poults and will flock together.  I usually hunt them in the fall only to scout for deer and look for sign..It is fun though if you run into a bunch of them ;D @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 01:11:43 PM »
It is worth it to hunt them but like DPD said it's all about hunting the roost or feeding areas. You try to roost them the evening before and then figure out where they are going and get there. I like it it a lot because you cover some ground and scout for deer as you go and it's just great when you get 20-30 turkeys coming in. Gobblers are tough to kill but if you are in the right spot you'll have 7 or 8 or more together.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline 4blade

• 6 Point
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 02:42:47 PM »
Thanks guys, been bow, and gun hunting deer on same property since 73.  In all those years only turkey hunted 3 years with gun in spring.  1 for 3 with gun.  We have a fall archery season.  So, it's kind of like deer from a tree, let them get by you and ambush.  So you do call from a tree ?  For the small amount for the tag, I think you gentlemen have talked me into it.  Didn't know if you sat in blinds with decoys or what.  Thanks for the info, much appreciated. 

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »
Thanks guys, been bow, and gun hunting deer on same property since 73.  In all those years only turkey hunted 3 years with gun in spring.  1 for 3 with gun.  We have a fall archery season.  So, it's kind of like deer from a tree, let them get by you and ambush.  So you do call from a tree ?  For the small amount for the tag, I think you gentlemen have talked me into it.  Didn't know if you sat in blinds with decoys or what.  Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I will sit in a ground blind in the fall with decoys out in usually the edge of a cut corn field or soybean field and I won't call during the day from a tree but real early A.M. you could give a soft tree call and your liable to get some hen talk and know there in your woods.  Bow is a challenge for turk but a good one if you connect... @--0--0101
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline 4blade

• 6 Point
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 04:46:01 PM »
Thanks again DPD.  Appreciated and your answers will come in handy.  Don't know a thing about them in fall, but know the land intimately.  See them feeding all the time.  Always left them be as when they were out the deer came out.  Used them more as confidence decoys than hunting them.  But last two years gunning for them in spring has fueled a desire.  Your time and thoughts are very helpful to me.   

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 05:01:38 PM »
everyone is right on. find the food source first. once they are there, that's when the decoys and calls will pay off. they like company.

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline steelie74

• 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 06:44:26 AM »
One word of advice from someone who tries it now and then.I have tried several times to draw on turkeys from my treestands,Im 0 for 4.i would wait till the last one passes by your stand and see how that works.hitting a running turkey with a bow is much harder then hitting one with a shotgun.
(thwack)  bowhunters will know the sound.  also my license plate   52 ACRES TO MAKE INTO MY ON LITTLE HONEYHOLE.  OH MY ACHIN BACK!!

Online MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 09:04:20 PM »
Watch this video, it will explain a lot.  I should watch it again, and again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij_L7wzC3yw&feature=youtu.be
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 03:06:44 PM »
today I had 28 turkey ...two different flocks walk within 15 yrds of me as I stood in the open...It was great...had a long talk with a hen yesterday...I can't wait until the 19th...I have found 2 different tom  groups .....You can call them in, I use my own voice to and it works better for me...more so  than a regular call...they make more"whistles" and drawn out whiney yelps and then there is the gathering up call...Toms cluck and even gobble in the fall if you catch the right vocals.......but come more to the scratching up of leafs...so I like blinds...Ohh take a bunch of pebbles or crusher run with you ...flick them out into the leafs a few at a time...you'll end up with both turkey and deer.

New Page 3

Google Ad