New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Fly rod challenge  (Read 479 times)

Offline 3 beard

• 4 Point
Fly rod challenge
« on: May 20, 2014, 12:27:30 PM »
Well I tried my expertise at something that I didn't have the first clue about over the weekend. That was installing a new cork grip on my Fenwick fly rod. It was pretty bad shape but I wasn't give up the rod just because of a worn out cork grip. Did a bit a research on the computer and decided on one of the ways mentioned. Turned out really great, can't even tell it was changed except for its new look. Trimmed off the old cork first and cleaned off the residue with steel wool and alcohol. Then boiled some water, placed rod butt in it several times till the glue warmed up, then pulled straight back till it slipped off. Then cleaned old cork off end of rod shaft and cleaned it thoroughly with alcohol. New cork handle holed was a bit snug so I twisted a drill bit with my fingers to remove a slight bit more cork. It slid on easily now so I glued it in place. Then I trimmed two small sections for the rod butt and glued them in place to dry. Once dry I slid the metal rod butt over it after applying glue and aligning everything. Now all that's left is to get out on the stream and enjoy it. Thanks to all the info on the computer it made things simple. Amazing what a few pictures or video does in fixing things.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Fly rod challenge
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 05:34:04 PM »
nice work. it will be all the sweeter when you catch your 1st trout
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 10:00:02 PM »
That's a good post.  Most people would have just bought a new one.  Sounds like you and that rod have a good relationship.  Hope y'all catch many many more together. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 02:24:54 PM »
As an avid flyfisherman I appreciate your work on that rod! Good work! Have any before and after pictures? It will be sweet when you land that first fish on it!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline RoughRiderND

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 12:21:23 AM »
3 Beard:

I have been building fishing rods for 40 years (dang that sounds old) starting with fiber glass and now multi-generational graphite and boron. Each rod is unique and has given me great pleasure to give it to a friend or a new fisher-person.

The first feel of a fish on something you envisioned and created is profound. You will know the feeling soon enough when your line goes tight on the re-newed fly rod. No offense to store bought equipment, most of it is excellent and a good investment.

Our hunting and fishing heritage is almost exclusively a highly personal tradition which is handed down from one generation to another, mostly verbally and experientially. 

Bless you for extending and enhancing that tradition with your own hands. Some day we must all place our stuff into the hands of the young cause the last time I checked, there ain't no trailer hitches on hearses. Well done!
6 years preparing with father and brother
57 years tramping fields and streams harvesting and eating the products of fin, feather and fur.

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 04:40:52 PM »

3 Beard:

I have been building fishing rods for 40 years (dang that sounds old) starting with fiber glass and now multi-generational graphite and boron. Each rod is unique and has given me great pleasure to give it to a friend or a new fisher-person.

The first feel of a fish on something you envisioned and created is profound. You will know the feeling soon enough when your line goes tight on the re-newed fly rod. No offense to store bought equipment, most of it is excellent and a good investment.

Our hunting and fishing heritage is almost exclusively a highly personal tradition which is handed down from one generation to another, mostly verbally and experientially. 

Bless you for extending and enhancing that tradition with your own hands. Some day we must all place our stuff into the hands of the young cause the last time I checked, there ain't no trailer hitches on hearses. Well done!
Well said Rough Rider
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline 3 beard

• 4 Point
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 08:07:21 PM »
I know what your saying Russcat. I remember my father toting me along at a young age. I ended up enjoying fishing so much it's a big part of my life. Then my daughter was born and she followed in my tracks as a fisherman. Now she has been teaching many of her friends who never experienced it before and they just can't get enough of it. It's great to see all them show up at the house waiting to go fishing. I just enjoy watching the excitement on their faces when they catch fish.

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 08:29:14 PM »
So how has the fishing been going 3 beard? I had the grandkids up for all of the derbys over Memorial Day weekend. The streams were too high fast and muddy the weekend before that.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

New Page 3

Google Ad