New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: No Decoy Out!  (Read 556 times)

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
No Decoy Out!
« on: May 05, 2014, 07:23:40 AM »
Snortwheeze just suggested something to Growalot so I'm going to throw something out to you. How many have ever 'not' put a decoy out and just called and what happened? I had an experienced turkey hunter tell me that once but I've never tried it. He said he doesn't put one out but he still calls them in and kills them. Under what conditions would you not want to put one out? We put them out to keep the tom focused on it and not us so how does it work?
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
Re: No Decoy Out!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 08:04:54 AM »
I have killed more turkey's without decoy's than with decoy's.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 10:32:21 AM »
Here at home where they do not gobble ..I have killed more with out a decoy..but I call much lower and less..though every year I try them...

At camp always use at least 2 and call louder  and more frequently. The birds Gobble like mad down there..even during gun season for deer...they gobble every day..and the hens yelp a lot
Hens at home don't..they softly cluck and purr

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »
the one I shot Friday the decoys were in my vest I did not put them out
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 03:21:16 PM »
I prefer putting them out. I have killed a few without a decoy, but i prefer one to hold there attention while i get my gun on them!! -0078
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 05:38:38 PM »
in open areas i use decoys for the visual effect. in the woods i go without since visabilty is limited.
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 06:47:17 PM »
Without decoys the toms come in quicker looking for a lady friend, more times than not when they see the decoys they approach more cautiously and sometimes stay away from the decoys. I use them more in open fields or plots than in the woods
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 07:23:58 PM »
My very first turkey, a tom, I killed I did not have any decoys out, but all the other turkeys my kids and I have killed have been with decoys. I have never hunted inside the woods and have done all my hunting out on a point of the woods in the fields on a high point to get the most visibility I can.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »
Whenever I have used a decoy, the toms see the decoy and seem to hang up out of range.  I did shoot one bird once, while using a decoy, but when it saw the decoy, I had the impression he was about to leave, so I took the shot and got him at 40 yds.  Last year, I didn't use a decoy (cause I didn't think I had time to set one up) and the bird came in about 40 yds away, and I didn't give him the opportunity to think about leaving.  That was a 40 yd shot, too.  Both my birds were taken during the late season in May.  They have already been chasing hens for a whil
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 08:17:29 PM »
Like most of you, I have mixed results - it's not necessary to have decoys to kill a tom, but sometimes it does seem to bring them in.  I've seen videos of turkeys attacking decoys, and even trying to mate with them, but have never seen such a thing in real life.  They have great eyesight & great hearing, so it stands to reason that they'd be more cautious of the decoys as they get closer.  I would guess I use them about 25% of the time but wouldn't consider myself an expert on when & how (suppose if I did I'd use them all the time).
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad