New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: DPD's 2014 Hunting Journal  (Read 2113 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: DPD's 2014 Hunting Journal
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 12:54:45 PM »
congrats. good to hear about the bolts. I worry about penetration
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 10:45:22 AM »
went out first day on Saturday Nov. 15th and I didn't get a chance to catch my hunting journal up to par.  I saw a nice deer too far away for a decent shot but he went over to my partner who harvested him.  a nice 8 point.  it was really a dull day only saw 1 more deer when I was going home and that was running from someone @--0--0117 .  Today I saw 2 deer before light going into my stand I waited for them to travel up the bean field but they decided to travel down the bean field.  It was raining steady and cold but I held out till 9:30 and had to leave and dry the clothes out.  nothing moving and hardly anybody hunting in this weather.  I will hit them again tomorrow , it is suppose to get colder yet. @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline yari

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 07:14:21 PM »
good looking buck
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 03:31:13 PM »
another Day in the woods , today I went late due to the heavy wind and below 0 windchill ...... I wasn't going to go but I was shamed into it by my partner --099-780  His son-in-law, myself and my partner were the only ones in the area to brave this super cold temps.  and... it payed off for his son-in-law which got his first horned buck ever.  He only started hunting 3 years ago and I was with him for his first deer ever.  Now his first buck..although a spike that should have been more but horns were broken off during some fighting I would believe and when he shot him he ran into a tree and broke one side off.  He is a 1 1/2 year old , nice eating size.  I will be late tomorrow due to other commitments but I'll be there.  I also saw a Huge Buck too far away to shoot at but he was looking for a girlfriend, nose to ground and didn't pay attention to me in the upper part of the lot..Deerhead, don't worry, lots of hunting time left and I'm after Big Boy now ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:37:17 PM by DPD »

Offline yari

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »
time for backstraps!!!!!!!!!
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 01:05:44 PM »
went out late again due to other commitments.  bluebird day still real cold but wind has subsided and sun is out , our friends to the North are still getting hammered with snow storm and out buffalo area but its gorgeous here today for hunting but the problem is nobody except us are hunting the area where we are. nothing moving , I will be earlier tomorrow.  My hunting partner did see 2 Doe that his son-in-law kicked out from a small spot but they were too far away for a shot.  Better luck tomorrow and my son comes in Friday for a week of hunting.  He will start saturday @--0--0118

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 07:43:29 PM »
I am continually hunting each day in this horrible weather.  I have seen some nice bucks and now a few does but not for a decent shot...The weather here in NY hasn't been the greatest as you probably have seen and the hunters are down again this year...tomorrow is another Saturday and maybe more deer will move
at least my son made it up to go fro Maryland @--0--0118

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 11:53:47 AM »
Well, my season has ended today, unsuccessful this year.  Many hunters think that success is harvesting game but I take a look at the whole years worth of seasons and the experiences that I have had.  The past few weeks of our southern tier deer season has been very busy for me.  I haven't blogged everyday because sometimes I am just too tired to do it ;D...To summarize the seasons this year, I had my chances this spring with a nice gobbler but it didn't work out.  This fall has been very busy from fall turkey season thru our current deer season.  experiencing God's creation this year has been especially productive.  A lot of firsts for me after 50 years of hunting.  I was with my partner on a crossbow kill, I was turkey hunting and he was crossbow hunting in the same blind when he harvested a nice 1 1/2 spikehorn,  I was so impressed I went out and purchased a crossbow myself.  Next year will see how we both do.  I didn't have much production after that seeing a lot of game and experiencing all sorts of wildlife and weather conditions that have been not nice ;D .  some pictures are on the forum.  I didn't blog everyday but tried to get some experiences into the forum from my Iphone, but, you just can't get them all.  Yesterday I took the picture of one of my stands with 8 inchs of snow on it.  I sat for 3 hours without seeing anything but I did get a chance to hear a hen talking and a gobbler gobble just 50 yards from me.  Made an "unproductive" day well worth being there.  Today I picked another stand and cleaned off more snow,  we saw deer tracks on our tracks of yesterday and there are a lot of deer left where we hunt including a huge buck.  I had a first today, we saw about 30 wild swans go over real low and "honking" if you could call it that, I have seen wild swans on the lake I live on but just 4 at the most.  This 30 flock really excited my partner and myself.  a beautiful animal and it made my day.  Unproductive, I wouldn't say with the 1,000's of geese, flocks of mallard ducks, wood ducks, turkeys, deer, fox and you name it that I experienced in God's creation.  Will start my journal next year now I prepare for the coming of our Savior and my trip to my Florida home for a couple of months.  God be with you all!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 06:23:59 PM »
Hearing those 30 swans flying overhead must have been pretty amazing.  I have had 4 or 6 fly over a few times ( I live near a lake and my neighbor has a nice pond behind my property)  The swishing of their wings is pretty neat to hear, as well as their honking, if you can call it that. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Viking1204

• 12 Point
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 09:26:36 AM »
Great stories, bummer you didn't get a deer this year but like you said it's about the experience and you still had a great time! Good luck next year!
Air Force Veteran

New Page 3

Google Ad