New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Today's range work  (Read 378 times)

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Today's range work
« on: April 18, 2014, 05:15:48 PM »
Not as warm as in Bo's neighborhood 49 degrees. But it is what it is. Burnt powder! Ah! The high it gives me.

I took three of my favorite ATT (long distance) boys out for a walk today. They were Spin Doc, Coop Creedmoor and Jarrett Catbird. The temp as I said above was 49, BP was 30.14, Hum 45% and Wind 3-5 from 3 o'clock. As you can see the slight wind drifted the lighter pills a little more. I used the center of the bull as POA with every shot. Yes this was off rest and at 500 because I had the trap setup for LongDoc. Spin Doc (pic1) as I expected cut paper with 4 out of the 5 because of the heavier pill and higher velocity. The Cooper 6.5 Creedmoor (pic 2) did very well and grouped with a 3/4" dispersion with the 110 target pills. The Jarrett 243 Catbird (pic 3) with the 105 VLD grouped in a 5/8" dispersion. The Catbird has turned out to be a very capable "yote getter" replacement, but I still miss him.
I mailed my dime to Bo so we'll have to do without.  @--0--0105 Time for coffee and warm up a bit.

Next trip to the range I think I'll dust off Brain Surgeon and Trama Doc. Let them talk while LongDoc is cooling off.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:18:56 PM by Dutch-Hunter »
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Today's range work
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 05:21:27 PM »
That's some impressive shooting at 500 yards Dutch... @--0--0123  @--0--0123  @--0--0123
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 01:09:26 AM »
Dutch - Many fine groups, especially at 500!!! Holy cow, I cannot see that far without a spotting scope! I run out of gas before I could get to the targets!! But for you, its all in a days work....You are funny, you name your rifles too! hahaha....we both much be crazy....

Now might be a good time to remind folks why we name our rifles. These rifles are not your typical Off-the-Shelf. These rifles are put together piece by piece to our specs and most are built around one bullet! These are not cheap either. When I posted my "The Cost of Accuracy" a few weeks ago, some of the comments I thought were negative for what I was trying to say. As you can see Dutch's groups are amazing and his rifles are built to his specs for one purpose - Long Range! and when he goes down to Arizona later this year to shoot at 2300 yards he surely won't take an off the shelf rifle with him. He will take a rifle that shoot a 350 gn pill over a mile away! With these custom rifles, you can feel the quality in the rifle when you pick it up. They look awesome and shoots awesome! Of course I love my Savages, Remington and old Winchesters too.

So that is why Dutch and I (and maybe a few other crazies here) name their rifles. These are not rifles to use, they are part of our families and deserve a name. You are sort of adopting a pet rifle. With every rifle you have, there is a story behind each one, right Dutch.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 07:00:01 AM »
I can only dream of shooting groups like that.  Longest shot I have ever taken was 300 meters, while at basic training.  All we had to do is hit the target which it's between 3 and 4 feet high and maybe 28" wide. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 07:08:13 AM »
Naming a rifle is our way of extending our family. Everyone names their children and pets so why not a gun?

I should have put in the post that these are proven rounds. By that I have tested and tweaked then re-tested and re-tweaked each load for each gun. Then and only then will I load up multiple rounds to those specifications. There are also many range hours involved. By the time we find "THE" load between loading, unloading, reloading the time investment alone may be a couple hundred hours. "THE" load is not by any means the "ONLY" load for that gun. Each load always has to go through the same proofing process. Each gun may have multiple perfect loads depending on intended target and range.

Bo is exactly right, the cost of accuracy can be substantial. We are not bragging or pounding our chests when we talk about our powder eating children. It is more like a proud poppa talking about their kids achievements. I rarely put and dollar amounts in my posts but I'll give some here. The K77 I picked up in MO was 67,000, the Jarrett was 8500, LongDoc's scope was 9800 his barrel was 1700. With the K77 (he's so pretty) as the axception I guess and arguement could be made that they had better shoot and shoot well. Even with improved equipment and proven loads accuracy is not a given. We could all ask Bo's new friend the Accuracy Internation owner. The best equipment in the world cannot do it alone the shooter must pay their dues behind the trigger.

Another thing that should be metioned here is how long Bo, I and the other TH shooting freaks have been doing this. Between Two Tales, Bubbabrown, PA, Bo and myself the combined experience is in the 200 year neighborhood. Which equalls many tons of lead down range. Let's be completely honest here guys gun geeks just love guns. It can be looking at, firing, collecting or building them it doesn't matter we just love guns.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
TO old to care!

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:49:35 AM »
I'm now convinced that Dutch speaks a different language than the rest of us.  When he said only 4 of 5 "cut paper" in his initial post above, I didn't realize he was talking about just that little round thing in the center of the paper - I assumed he was talking about the whole target (which at 500 yards, hitting that paper 80% of the time would currently make me ecstatic).  I'm going to be feeling pretty good when I can be get groups like that at 200 yds w/my .223s on a consistent basis - guess I'll need to dust off the old Ruger #1 7mm mag in the safe to be able to consider shooting something out at 500 (and will need to find a range to do it on - I'm not aware of any beyond 200 in this area).

Very nice work Dutch, those are some outstanding results to compensate for all of the effort you've poured into those guns and loads!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 02:12:50 PM »
Mad - You are exactly right, Dutch is in a class all by himself. What I call "The Dutch Standard" the rest of us can only dream of shooting groups like that at 500 yards...I have 4 Ruger No.1 and have sent them all to be cryo treated and sent to E Author Brown in Minn (Dutch's neck of the woods) to go through their be Accurizing Process. They shoot a lot better now. But still no where that a good bolt does. Good Luck with your 7mm RM....let us know how it works out...

Louie - 300 meters is still a long ways out there....but where Dutch lives, it must be flat as a pancake (Southern Slang)! His range is in his back yard! Lucky Dog....

Dutch - I agree with you in not posting the $$$ amount we have in our extended families...It doesn't serve any purpose. And you are right on the money (no punn intended) with the human factor. You can buy all the fancy rifles that are so called one holers, but if the shooter cannot shoot and always think of the problem being the rifle, then he is the problem, not the rifle. Just like in reloading, you have to get your own routine down when you reload, the same way you should shoot. Get your routine down for breath control, postion and pressure on the stock, trigger finger control. And have you had your eyes check lately??? Dutch can tell you right now that many of our rifles can easily out shoot us on any given day. But the actual component cost is a diminishing return on your money.....

How long have we been doing this Dutch? I know I have been a range bump for over 30 years now! more closer to 40....I think I was 28 when I actually joined a range and started shooting on a regular bases. Was at a pay range about a half dozen time per year before that.   

Dutch you are right between a lot of us here on TH we have sent a lot of lead down range. Don't tell the EPA !!!

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 03:00:40 PM »
I hear there is a mining company that's trying to open up shop downrange from Dutch - the ground penetrating radar readings from their satellites have indicated the mother lode of lead just below the surface of the earth there.    @--0--0118
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Doin' what I love!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 04:19:24 PM »
I hear there is a mining company that's trying to open up shop downrange from Dutch - the ground penetrating radar readings from their satellites have indicated the mother lode of lead just below the surface of the earth there.    @--0--0118

I appreciate the lead concern. Several years ago I designed, built and patended my own bullet traps. In a normal year of range shooting I fly 75-100 pounds of lead. Now take that times 47 years it turns out to be a dangerous amount of haz mat. I felt it was my responsibility to protect the environment from my habit. I have tried to get these traps made affordable enough for the average shooter. To date the cost per trap is still around 2100. The ballistic steel is very expensive and hard to machine.

Gun Geek! Proud of it!
TO old to care!

New Page 3

Google Ad