New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Cross bows in New York-Can it be true?  (Read 601 times)

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
Cross bows in New York-Can it be true?
« on: April 15, 2014, 01:43:35 PM »
I just heard that NY State has approved cross bows for the last two weeks of the 2014 archery season and I cannot believe it. If this is true, what was their thinking as the last two weeks of the regular archery season is part of the prime time for rutting whitetails in NYS. I am very pleased with this huge step forward and would hope that it will be open for the entire archery season in 2015. This will allow many senior hunters who cannot physically draw their bows any more to enter the woods once again. I never thought I would see the day.
Foxhunter
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
Re: Cross bows in New York-Can it be true?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:01:19 PM »
The only problem is that they left it in the legislature hands still and not the DEC. And you can't hunt completely in the archery season just the last 2 weeks. A minor victory for the crossbow enthusiasts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:06:22 PM »
WI is allowing crossbow for everyone this year. good luck all
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline gander

• 8 Point
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 07:12:56 PM »
I really don,t understand the crossbow situation down there. I am glad it is open for the full bow season here as I loved using my compound but elbow issues made me hang it up.I would only get out in gun season without my crossbow.
Reguardless of the weapon type you still have to get out there and hopefully get a chance at one.
 With the exception of some setbacks because of weather and disease are the governments not complaining about to many deer in many areas?
 You only get one shot at a time and much over thirty yards gets iffy with a lot of crossbows.
 At the end of it all isn,t it about getting people into the woods to enjoy the outdoors.
 I just think there are to many unnecesary rules sometimes....my opinion for what it,s worth.

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »
Sometimes the war is fought with small victories first! Take little baby steps, get people used to the idea and they find out the world as they know it will not end with a crossbow season! We have it here for the entire season in Maryland. I have one but have not used it in hunt in yet but I turned 60 last year and muscles and bones are starting to ache after shooting the compound. One day I will probably need to use the crossbow and will be thankful that I can be out in the woods still hunting!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 08:11:55 PM »
I believe it was last year or the year before when Michigan legalized crossbows for everyone.  The DNR does want you to get a free crossbow tag.  My guess is so they can gather data as to who's hunting with crossbows.  Used to be that you had to get a doctor's slip and present it to the DNR before they would allow you to hunt with a crossbow.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 07:30:40 PM »
Good luck! I hope the expand it over time
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF