New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Part 4/ Master of his Domain  (Read 872 times)

Offline 3 beard

• 4 Point
Part 4/ Master of his Domain
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:51:53 PM »
Master of his Domain (Part 4)
By; David Orlowski

Solomon remained frozen in position so as not to give away his presence. Even though close to the security of his bedding area the buck remained wary. He'd move ahead a few steps at a time, then stop and sniff the air currents for any sign of danger. Nothing wrong as he stretched out his neck and sniffed the ground either. So he moved forward nearing his bed, slower now, nose to the ground.
       With the buck within eight yards now, Solomon could see the tips of the big antlers moving slowly through the sparse brush. But just before he stepped into a small opening the huge whitetail stopped and began working over a small beech sapling. While watching the buck shred the sapling Solomon tried to keep his own nerves under control and readied for the draw of his bow. Is this really going to happen he thought, this deer is so close to home, so close to safety. Tension was running high, who would win this round.
      Finally the buck eyed up his handy work and stepped forward as Solomon came to full draw in one fluid motion. Followed by the release which sent the arrow flashing across the short distance of seven yards.  A second later he saw the arrow parting hair and heard a loud thump as the arrow entered just behind the front leg into the lung area. A second later he watched as the buck did a ''mule kick'' and jumped sideways and stood trying to figure out what had happened.
     The buck turned and walked out of sight into the bedding area with its tail flicking. Solomon had seen this reaction before and knew he'd made a lethal hit. He continued to listen but heard nothing more as the forest fell silent. Then he leaned back against the tree as emotions ran through his head that he had truly beaten his challenger at his own game. I'll just sit back and give it some time so as to make sure he's down for good.
     Twenty minutes later he climbed down and followed the trail into the bedding area. He noticed a few drops of blood spattered on the snow covered leaves after moving a few yard along the path. Ten yards further as he crested a small knoll he saw the buck piled up a few feet short of his bed. Then as he held the massive antlers in his hands and admired his prize he noticed where the arrow had pierced the bucks left side and exited on the opposite. Just the type of shot I expect from myself, he said out loud.  I'd expect nothing less from myself on a trophy like this. Then as he stood up and grasp one antler in his hand and began the drag and old thought came to mind. As in nature, you only need let your guard down for a second, make one error and you are no longer the master of your domain. \

The End 
If you enjoy reading 1800's mountain man material I have a book advertised for sale in the commercial ad site.

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: Part 4/ Master of his Domain
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 07:46:55 PM »
As you can see, I read all 4 parts at one time, is that cheating? I have the mountain  man book and truly enjoyed it, my father has it now and is enjoying it. Thanks Dave
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:26:54 PM »
I read all 4 parts, too, one right after the other.  Good read!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 11:05:51 AM »
I red all 4 parts and really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 08:24:44 AM »
Just re-read the 4 part series, it was still good the 2nd time around.   Seems like I was right there, watching.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

New Page 3

Google Ad