New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Part 3/ Master of his Domain  (Read 439 times)

Offline 3 beard

• 4 Point
Part 3/ Master of his Domain
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:49:15 PM »
Master of his Domain (Part 3)
By; David Orlowski

Since he knew the crafty whitetail wouldn't return anymore this day he wandered back to the cabin. I'll stay out of the forest for the rest of the day so he isn't disturbed at all as I know every nerve in his body will be on full alert for awhile after that encounter. 
       The day turned into evening as Solomon ran the plan through his mind a few more times before turning in for the evening. Anyway you don't get a chance at a buck like this very often so I better make  the best out of it. Even though I've wandered through his territory and left a bit of scent I doubt he'll abandon the area because of it.
       Sleep was hard to come by as Solomon tossed and turned as the thought of the buck flashed in and out of his mind. Finally at four a.m. he gave up on sleeping and readied for the hunt. Once he slipped into his buckskins he then wrapped his feet with some pieces of beaver hide before slipping on his knee high leather moccasins. He figured since he'd be on stand for a length of time he wanted his feet to stay warm. Then he grabbed his gloves before picking up his bow and arrow before leaving.
       Standing outside the morning air temperature hung in the thirties. The morning was still, not even a slight breeze was detectable. Might as well get moving before the deer leave the fields and head back to their bedding areas. Moments later he worked his way downstream so as to avoid disturbing any deer in the field. I'll slip up the hollow on the left and cross over just above the bedding area. A half hour later he arrived and sized up the location before choosing a stand. Perfect he thought, as he climbed up into the branches of a large white pine just twenty yards below the bucks hideout and ten yards right of the trail.
     Then once in place Solomon leaned against the tree and began the wait. The buck will never know I'm here as the morning thermals will be rising and carry my scent up the hill away from that sensitive nose he relies on. With the bow laying across two limbs he sat and waited for the next hour but nothing was moving except for a chill creeping down his spine. That is until darkness began to give way to daylight that he noticed a silhouette standing on the bench below. Minutes later as it began to move Solomon could see the outline of the large rack as it slowly moved up the trail a few steps at a time. As he picked up his bow any thought of being cold drifted away as adrenaline started coursing through his body. The buck continued to close the distance slowly but not before checking its back trail.     
   To be continued,  (Don't forget to contact me at dorlowski57@yahoo.com for info on my new book.)

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: Part 3/ Master of his Domain
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 07:44:02 PM »
I like short stories, part 4 next
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association