New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: SCOPES!  (Read 468 times)

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
SCOPES!
« on: December 10, 2013, 02:53:39 PM »
We have hashed the optics question over and over here and Iím sure at camp and ranges again and again. Discussing which ones are best, what size ocular lens is right, how much variable power is needed and so on. The simple fact is eye relief is the singular must important scope adjustment. You can spend hundreds or even thousands on a scope and improper eye relief makes it worthless. The scopes available today are much improved over the ones years ago. Today they for the most part all have greater relief adjustment. Take your time reading the instructions that came with your scope and understand all of the workings but most importantly reread the sections on eye relief and focus until they are well understood.

After your scope base is properly mounted attach the bottom rings firmly but not thread locked and torqued. Turn the scope down to its lowest power and lay it on and just snugly tighten the top rings, just tight enough to hold it without torqueing it down.

Pick up the empty gun hold it down in the ready position close your eyes pull the gun up to fire position, open your eyes. If you cannot instantly see through the scope you must figure out why. Do you have to alter your head position? Which way? Once youíve determined the required adjustment or which direction you must move the scope if there is not enough relief adjustment, bring it up to the fire position with your eyes closed and open. By shouldering the gun with your eyes closed you are relying on ďfeelĒ and if you have the same feel every time then this position is your natural shooting hold. If you bring it up with your eyes open your hold will alter without you realizing it. After repeating this exercise until you have it just right, attach a small piece of tape to the top rear ring and the scope tube and draw an alignment mark on each. Remove the top rings and scope. Remove one screw at a time in the bottom rings and apply thread lock snug them up but donít torque them until all of them have been thread lock treated. Let this sit for a day at least then start the final installation complete with thread lock and proper torqueing. Use the alignment marks on the tape to position the tube on the bottom rings. Snug down the top ring screws without thread lock at this point. Then pull the gun up again to make sure it is correct. If it is correct do the final torqueing and thread locking. Within a few hours it is all done and ready to go and you can now remove the pieces of tape.

It must be mentioned here that this adjustment is unique to each individual. Adjust your equipment to suit you. If you use someone elseís equipment adjust yourself to it. When I sight in someone elseís gun I leave the scope where they have it set and work with it that way. If I mount a scope Iíd like the owner present to make sure it fits them or Iíll adjust it when they pick it up.

Of course the only way to get comfortable with it is: Practice, practice, practice! Really, you knew it was coming.  @--0--0137
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: SCOPES!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 05:04:07 PM »
Great information as always Dutch...
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
SCOPES!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 09:15:06 PM »
Good stuff as always Dutch. Thanks for the tips. I think it may be helpful to mention what type of thread locker to use.  Blue or medium strength should be used.  Avoid the high strength red.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 11:19:05 PM »
Once again Dutch has done us right.  I couldn't even begin to tell you how many times I have done this without thinking about it...it never dawns on me that others haven't been shooting as long as some on here and just assume that everyone should know this stuff...

About the only thing I do differently is instead of the tape to mark alignment, I use fingernail polish, that I leave in place after final assembly...it basically gives me a permanent reference point, and/or a quick check to make sure nothing got bumped out of place.

TT @--0--0107
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 12:30:16 AM »
Well its the 4th of July weekend and have you taken out your deer/hunting rifle and given it a good cleaning or check to make sure the receiver screws are properly torque? How about your scope? check the rings and bases and see if they have not worked their way lose? What about a good scope cleaning using those Zeiss clothes and Q-tips?

Every year before heading to the range, will set the rifle in the cradle and remove the scope and check to make sure the base(s) and rings have not worked their way lose! I will make my scope with a piece of masking tape so I don't changed the eye relief distance and will do a vertical check of the reticule (most of my rifle have cant levels on them and now is the time I check it to make sure it is still true. Once the scope is off the rifle will clean it thoroughly using those Zeiss disposable wipes and Q-tips.

Then I will remount and re-torque the scope back into its original position. When I take it to the range, sure it has changed after remounting the scope, but all you got to do is tweak the adjustments and you are back on target.

But the purpose of this post is to remind everybody to have a back-up scope on hand. It doesn't have to be a Swarovski, Zeiss or Nightforce, but a good well built quality scope. Currently, I have 7 extra scope that are not mounted on any rifles, these are my back up just in case during the season, I have to change it out for some reason. My backups do include one Swarovski, one Zeiss, one Leupold, two Nikons, one Vortex and one Trijicon. So I can grab the one that most fits my hunting rifle and area and mount it....

A good Nikon Prostaff, Bushnell DOA or Vortex Crossfire II is all you need, you don't need to spend big bucks on a back up scope. The power is not important, but I would recommend a lower power scope. somewhere is the 1.5 to 2.0 low end and no more than a 9X, more like a 7 or 8 power will work just fine. Have lense covers for you main and back up scopes as well....

How are your rings and base? Over the years I have changed out many rifles to use Picatinny bases and Mark 4 or similar rings, Not only are these more solid, but it also give the shooter more confidence when shooting as well. Remember the old saying that you only as good as your weakest link...this also applies for rings and bases as well.

If you don't have a back up scope get one! Just some ideas....hunting season will be here before you know it....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 04:35:47 PM »
It's always a good idea to check with your local gun dealers & stores to see if they have any used scopes. Every once in a while you can find some really good scopes at really good prices. Just make sure you check them over for any signs of abuse or damage. It never hurts to have backups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 08:24:07 PM »
Dutch - Good idea, if you can find a scope manufacturer that warranties the scope and not the owner and has a lifetime guarantee (such as Leupold or Nikon and a few others), buy it and send it back to the manufacturer for refurbishing. Most of the time all you are out is shipping....but everyone needs a back up.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad