New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: PRODUCT REVIEW - Vortex Diamondback 10x32 Binos  (Read 5590 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
PRODUCT REVIEW - Vortex Diamondback 10x32 Binos
« on: November 20, 2013, 06:15:50 PM »
Got them in yesterday and immediately went back and look through them to get a feel. They are light around 18 ozs. Only cost $200. Took them to work today and look out over a field that range from 100 to 600 yards. Like all binos these days, they have adjust cups if you wear glasses and the right eye piece has a adjustable wheel to bring both into one good focused picture. Next week,  will take them down to GA to our hunt club and do some field testing.

I wished they would have put in clicks stops for the right adjustable eye piece. Something tells me that it will very loose and times goes buy. My 1980 Leupold 9x25mm has click stop adjustment for both eyes. These were made by Lecia for Leupold.

Glass is OK, first thing I did was to put the Vortex Viper HD's (8x42) next to them. Then put the Zeiss against them. There is a big difference. Not $400 worth, but still a difference. But like all the Vortex products I buy, they are well build and well packaged. If treated decent, they should last you about 20 years of so.

This is the first preliminary review of this product, will post more as I get use to them and find out their good and bad points....more to come!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 04:15:59 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
Re: PRODUCT REVIEW - Vortex Diamondback 10x32 Binos
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 05:09:01 AM »
After using them up here in Tennessee and one time in Ga hunting, I have decided to keep these binos. At first, felt good about them, then after using them a few times, I have questions whether I was going to keep them or not. Kept and saved the box they came it just in case.

The Glass is very good for an inexpensive pair of binos. They are also very light 18 ozs! The only trouble I may have is the right eye focus. you will need to check the focus each time you use them and make sure it is set right. The left eye focus is fixed but the right eye has an adjustment. I am worried that over time this right eye focus ring will loosen up and become very loose. I have another cheap pair, many years old that is like this and I put a piece of tape over the focus ring to hold it in place. This is what I think will happen. I have other more expensive pairs that you can adjust and it will stay adjusted. My Leupold's I purchased back in 1980 was made for them by Lecia and both eye has click stop adjustments! Even today these are excellent pocket binos.

I have a pair or the Vortex Vipers HD and wrote about them and how good they are. These little Diamond Backs have good glass but are not in the same league as the Vipers are (Wonder if they are made by someone else?) For early fall hunting with leaves are on the trees these Diamond Backs will work just fine for seeing into the brush and through trees.

For $200, you cannot go wrong with these binos especially with the guarntee they have. They have very good glass and are very light, you will never know you are wearing them. Hope this helps......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 06:19:41 AM »
Nice review Bo thanks for the information!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 07:34:37 PM »
Just got back from a 10 day hunting trip in GA where I used the Vortex Diamondback 10x32 Binos exclusively. Even though I had the Vortex Viper HD and the Swarovski EL with me, I focus (no pun intended) on the Diamondback's.

I am upgrading my review of these little binoculars. Once you get the right eye focus and use them a good bit, you will find these are very good for 150 yards and in, maybe 200 yards. They were perfect for the dense GA woods. I could easily see into the brush with these and they were very good at dawn and dusk. I saw plenty of deer and were able to get a good look at them. Keep the lenses clean, which I did every day, along with the scope on the rifle and my glasses. These routine helped me with all my optics I used that day.

All in all, these were every good (almost excellent) buy for the money. Think I paid a shade under $200 for them. Will be down in GA three more times this year and will hunt here in TN a half dozen times. Will use these bino for the rest of the year and then report back. Next time down in GA, the leaves should be down off the trees and it will open up shooting lanes, then the bino's will be put to the test!

While I was hunting had a Vortex Viper HS 4-16X x 50mm came in and will mount it on a AR10. Vortex guarantee is like Leupold's they warranty the product not the owner. 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 04:41:24 PM »
good to know you don't need to break the bank for a good pair of binos. thx for the review and info
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 08:19:59 PM »
Just returned from another week in the Georgia woods. Since most of the loggers have left, have used these binos on cut overs as well as close in observations. The leaves are almost all off the trees which gives a longer range to test. It is also much brighter in the woods. Since the first week down there where the leaves were on the trees and darker in the woods, it really pushed these little binos to their limits in picking up light and seeing details into the woods.

One day took the EL's and these Vortex Diamondbacks and compared the two over the clear cut. It wasn't much comparison, the EL's are my best binos. But there again, the EL's cost 10 times what these Diamondbacks did, 10 times!!! After the week was over, was still impressed with these binos especially for the money. Like any binos, you got to keep them clean, every morning, I wiped them down with a Zeiss cloth along with the rifle scope.

I have another week (maybe two) to go in the woods down in Georgia and now will start hunting here in Tennessee for another 4 weeks. Will use these binos for the remainder of the season in both states. There is nothing like real woods testing of any product.

So far, so good, very good. Am glad I went ahead and purchased them. I would recommend them for any hunting situation, well most any. If you hunt in Alaska, then that would be out and on an Antelope hunt. In both cases you will need to buy very good optics. But for most of us, these would make a fine stocking stuffer for this Christmas......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »
Great review Bo. Thanks!
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline KINGOWISH

• Invite Only
  • 7 Point
  • Deer Hunter---Landowner-BEAR CREEK Hunting Lodge
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 12:02:47 PM »
I bought a pair from Cabelas and forgot which model and power.The best thing they are guanteed for life and no questions asked.
QDMA,NRA,SCOPE ,MEMBER.Retired in March of 2014 after 30 yrs in Law Enf.

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 06:49:47 PM »
King - That is a great guarantee. If you don't mind, dig out your paperwork and find out what details about them. Share some of your war stories with them and your hunts that you have been on with them. I would like to hear a few of them.

I have said this before on TH a few times but if it wasn't for Leupold and offering their lifetime warranty on the product and not the owner wonder where optic community would be. I got my first Leupold back in 1971 (Serial Number is prefix with a "B") which means it was made in 71. Because of that great warranty, I currently own 34 Leupold scopes. I go my first Zeiss (4X x 36mm) back in the very early 80's and at that time they offered only a 10 year guarantee to the original owner. My first Swarovski scope had a warranty of 25 years to the original owner. But Leupold did not care who owns the scope or how many times it changed ownership, they guarantee it for life. Nikon back in the late 90's was the second manufacturer who offered the same type of guarantee. Leupold clearly own the marketshares in riflescopes for many decades because of their warranty. Back then, the Cabela's brothers only sold fishing equipment. But as we all know, Cabela's has changed a great deal. I love their hunting clothes and I do own several scopes that I use on my 17HMR and 22 MAG, etc. There are a few guys at work who swear by their Cabela's and Redhead scopes and binos.

Currently, Meopta is making Cabela's bino. I own three Meopta scopes and they are clear as a bell and you can use them as a hammer. Built very tough!!! I don't know who currently is making Cabela's scopes or where they are made, but the few Cabela's scopes I purchased a few years back, it looks like a Nikon scope. If anyone knows please let us know.

But I go back to when Leupold was the only company that was offering an unlimited lifetime guarantee on their products and not just the original owner. I could sell it to Split Toe and he could sell it to Dutch and he could sell it to someone else and the product would still be guarantee. My last 4 scopes have been two Leupold VX-6, one Zeiss Duralyt and the forth one another Leupold VX6.

So please find out about bino and write up a report on them and share your thoughts about them....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 08:26:13 AM »
Last Review for these Diamondback binos....just returned from the last week of the season. It was rainy, foggy conditions. They still performed great. Cleaned the lense when I got down there. After running them though the ringer this season, used them one last time in both ladder stands and ground blinds. I still have high praise for them especially for a $200 pair of binos!!!

I did have one fault. Like most binos and this is not singling out the Vortex but wished all bino manufacturers would have the adjustable dipole be a click stop instead of continuous adjustable. I have a few more pairs of binos that are the same way and over time, they have a way of becoming loose and easy to turn and get out of adjustments. I have a pair of Leupold's from 1980 (made for Leupold by Lecia) and both eyes have click stop adjustments. Set it and forget it...love that feature about it. That is the one feature I would change about all binos not just Vortex. What this means to the average hunter is that he/she has to get the binos adjusted for their eye as part of their routine when they get on stand.

Also like all bino you go from a dry environment to a damp one, the lenses fog up on the outside for a few minutes. This past weekend Split Toe asked me to see my binos and went inside the trailer (dry warm environment) and brought them outside and sure enough they fogged up a bit for a few minutes until the temperature/humidity stabilized the binos. Gutshot can recommend an antifog product that works great to solve for this problem. They are several on the market today and would not hesitate to get some and apply it to the lenses of my scopes or binos....

Final words for this product -  would still give it a buy recommendation. For the price and quality for under $200, these are going to be hard to beat. Like all Vortex products, they do carry a life time warranty to any owner and not just the original owner. Vortex may also be my next spotter scope as well. These binos will stay in my fanny pack for my short to mid range binos.   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 05:59:49 AM »
These Vortex Binoculars were donated for the auction at Summerblast 2015 for Jacob and his Dad to go on their fishing trip with Jimmy Houston. I am sad to see them go, but the winner of the auction got a good pair of binoculars that can be used for either/both Turkey and Deer hunting. For the two years I had them (and I did purchased them new) they were great light weight very clear, sharp binoculars.

I hope they enjoy them as much as I did writing about them.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 09:27:11 PM »
These Vortex Binoculars were donated for the auction at Summerblast 2015 for Jacob and his Dad to go on their fishing trip with Jimmy Houston. I am sad to see them go, but the winner of the auction got a good pair of binoculars that can be used for either/both Turkey and Deer hunting. For the two years I had them (and I did purchased them new) they were great light weight very clear, sharp binoculars.

I hope they enjoy them as much as I did writing about them.....
Had them out at the cousins place today and they work great , spent some time watching the bucks and the one that I will be after this fall was in the field for about 45 minutes . Looks like they are just about right for the north woods , Thanks BO .  ##$%#117
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 06:54:55 PM »
Well, I am glad that I donated them to Summerblast 2015 and glad Bug Fixer bought them at auction...but every since I have had regrets because they were very good binoculars for the money, my first $200 and under pair of binoculars that I had purchased.....These I got in today will take down to GA this weekend and do a short test on them and will let others judge them as well....they are made in China of course.....

In preliminary test today, and they got here around 7:30 AM this morning for UPS (did not know they worked this early, maybe they are on their Christmas Schedule now), but they do come with a nice case and two straps, one for the binoculars and one for the case....These don't seem to be as good as the first ones I had...just a bit off not sure, but it takes longer to zoom and focus on objects, but at 5:15 PM this afternoon and the woods in the back of the house were dark, you cannot see into them but with these, you can and could for about another 10 minutes....they are light about 15 to 16 ounces, focus on a bird in the bird bath about 5 ft away and could tell you what kind of bird that was sitting on top of a pine that was 300 yards away....

All in all, am pleased I got them in today and will throw them in the truck to take down south of me......will report on them at a later date, sometimes after Thanksgiving.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 05:30:18 PM »
Ever since I donated my Vortex Diamondback Binoculars to Summerblast I have had some regrets, so a week before Thanksgiving 2017, I ordered a new pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x32mm binoculars and took them down to use in the blind with me this year....wow are they good for the money..another $200 and under pair of binoculars. Great binos for the money, Split Toe, Deerhead along with other hunters in the club, also said they were good, light, sharp to the edges....I used them looked about 15 minutes before daylight and during almost noon time hunting and again in the afternoon...no arm fatigue here!! These binos are very light and will make a perfect companion with shots under 150 to 200 yards....I can grab them and look at something in the tree line or back inside the trees....

So all in all, glad I finally bought them....now have some Athlon Binoculars 10x34mm coming this week..they cost me right at $200....will see how they stack up against the Vortex and other comparably binoculars.....     
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 07:32:12 AM »
Got an email from Split Toe the other day, telling me that he bought a pair of Diamondbacks (10x32mm). He found a deal on it and got it plus a harness and flashlight and free shipping for around $159.99.....They arrived and he hasn't said whether he likes them or not. He certainly like the pair I bought down with me.....

Many years ago, Split Toe, Jap51, Cobb Guy and a few others all bought some small Nikon 10x25mm Prostaff Binoculars for around $70 to $80.....they have been some good ones, small, compact and where we hunt, you might need them or might not...we had under 75 yards shots.....noticed I said had! With the clear cutting that took place for 3 years it has opened us a very long shots, over 300 to 400 yards. Most of the guys never realized just how long of shot that really is.....And the White Tails down here don't stand around out in the open, they are getting trotting or running across the clear cut. Not like on the Hunting Shows on TV where they have these incredible long distance shots, so it is a matter of adjustments for all the guys....Now I shoot at 200 and 300 and even 600 yards shots every year, but those are measured distance and believe me you need very good optics to see and judge the deer that far out.....I have brought down to metal gong targets that I would like to see put up at 200 (the 6" metal plate) and 300 yards (the 10" metal plate) just for target practice. But you will need some good binos (like the Vortex) to see them at those distances....

Would like to hear from Split Toe, in his own words, how he likes the binos......As the planted pines grows back, our shooting distances will get shorter and shorter but the deer should flock to it!!! We all are hoping.....we will cut out some shooting lanes and food plots. The loggers plan of cutting roads around the area where they cut and it will and has created some very small opening that deer dart in and out of....so it will be challenging for us to located the deer....with or without the use of good binos.

I know that on Nov 4th of this year, read my story on "Had My Chance" seeing all those deer real close to me and had my binos really working OT trying to size up deer, find them in the woods, seeing legs move and trying to find their outline, those binoculars paid for themselves on that day.....Spotting the big buck with those binoculars heading my way, but using those binoculars that way was a first for me.....Now, out West, we use them like that a lot!!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2018 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad