New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: My Best Buck to Date...UPDATED WITH STORY  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
My Best Buck to Date...UPDATED WITH STORY
« on: November 18, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »
My wife calls this buck Bambi the Big...It's been years now since I shot this buck (1988) so I'm a lot younger in the picture. It's an eight pointer that had a 26" inside spread and field dressed at 238 pounds which is huge for Georgia. It scored 163 3/8 and while I've harvested many deer since that time it has been tough to top this deer.

The story behind Bambi the Big… November 11, 1988

A little background on the piece of property we hunted. It was a small 140 acre track in the shape of an “L” with the back portion of the L was a 40 acre cutover about 3 years old. The back of the cutover had a good size creek on it which ran out of a large beaver swamp that was located off our property in the corner of the cutover.  The remainder of the property was mature hardwoods and pines mixed. One side of the property was border with an 80 acre soybean field and the other side was border with 700 acres of 10 year old planted pines. The planted pines were a great bedding area and the soybeans a great food source. You could not ask for a better piece of property to hunt located in prime deer country. During my preseason scouting I had located some really large deer tracks in this cutover and some of the largest buck rubs I’ve ever seen. During bow season I had jumped a buck in the cutover that was just huge body wise. So I had set up a stand at the back corner of the cutover near the beaver swamp overlooking the cutover for rifle season.

I had scheduled two week’s vacation during November and was planning on heading down to camp on Saturday morning after I got off from working a midnight shift. Tom Mobley a friend of mine that I had worked with in Atlanta had got a job in marketing and transferred to Dallas, Texas. He knew that I was passionate about deer hunting and called my on Friday before I went on vacation and asked if I was still hunting. He had been talking with his marketing director in Dallas about hunting in Georgia and his boss wanted him to set him up a hunt in Georgia. So when he call and asked me if they could come and do a little hunting I told him to bring him on but I knew Tom had never done any deer hunting to my knowledge. He then asked me if I had a gun he could use I just had to laugh as I knew Tom had blown a ton of smoke up his boss's hind end. I picked them up at the airport about noon on Sunday went and got out of state hunting license, packed our gear and off to camp we went. We arrived about an hour before dark and by the time we unloaded the truck it was too late to hunt that evening. We had a good dinner and just told hunting stories the rest of the evening. Tom’s boss Bob had just taken a really nice 10 pointer in Texas the week before and just kept telling me how big the deer were in Texas and that Georgia hunting didn’t hold a candle to them. I indicated that that was true that I had read some really good things about Texas whitetail hunting.

I’ve never been one of those guys that get in the woods one of two hours before daylight. Thirty minutes is about right for me but that morning we got up early as I knew I had to put these guys on a stand. I didn’t have the collection of rifles back then that I have today. I let Tom have a Marlin lever action 1894 44 mag equipped with a Redfield 1 ¾ X 5 powered scope. He had never shot a gun with a scope on it. I told him to just put the crosshair behind the shoulder and squeeze the shot off if he saw a buck. About an hour before daylight I put Tom in a stand that was at the edge of the soybean field and told him to pay attention to the field at daylight as deer were often in the soybeans early. I then took Bob and put him in a stand with some heavy trails coming out of the planted pines leading to the soybean field about middle ways down the property. I said I planned to hunt til noon and would be back to get him. I then went to the stand overlooking the cutover. It was around 28 degrees that morning with a heavy frost on the cutover. I remember that I had really gotten cold after all the walking putting those guys in the stands. About 7:15 I heard a shot that I though come from the stand that Tom was hunting on the soybeans. At about 8:00 I saw two small beagles coming across the cutover headed toward the beaver swamp. About 15 minutes later I heard the beagles hot and heavy on a rabbit and headed down the creek on the other side. Man what sweet music they were making and 25 minutes they were gone off our property and I could not hear then anymore. The fact that they had run so far so fast I knew they were on a deer and not a rabbit. At around 9:15 saw a few does and a small 6 pointer. After listing to Bob and the Texas deer stories I wasn’t about to shoot the six pointer. About noon when I was about to get out of my stand in the distance I could hear those beagles getting louder and louder and could tell they were headed back in my direction. They had been gone for over 4 hours and just kept getting closer and closer. I stood up in the stand and was keeping a close eye on the cutover when I heard this blowing noise getting louder and louder. I looked across the cutover at about 140 yards and saw the huge body buck running headed back to the beaver swamp. I was hunting with a Browning BAR 30-06 with a Leupold VariX III 3X9 scope. I pulled the rifle up and found an opening and squeezed of the shot and saw the deer stagger in the scope and he then went over this little hill and out of sight. I felt pretty good about the shot and then about 10 minutes later here come the Calvary those beagles were coming across the cutover right on his trail. When they passed over the small hill they stopped barking. I got down out of the stand and went to the other side of the hill and there he was with the dogs. He was huge and his rack was so high off the ground while laying on his side I knew I had taken something really special. I told those old beagles they had done a good job and if I had a T-bone steak they would of got it for sure.
When I got back to pick Bob up it was 12:50 and he wanted to know if that was me that shot. I told him that it was and I'd taken a typical Georgia 8 pointer but we needed to get back to camp to get Tom to help us. When we got back to camp Tom was sleeping and I asked him if he shot that morning. He indicated that it was just like I had said a 8 pointer with two does stepped out in the soybeans and he put the crosshairs on his shoulder and shot but the deer just run off. I told him we go get my deer and then go back and check to see if he may have hit his. We loaded up in the truck and went back to the cutover and I was playing things real cool. Bob was pretty excited about us getting a deer and as we were walking across the cutover I told him he was right over the top of that hill. He went running over that hill and stopped turn around and said "typical Georgia 8 pointer my butt that’s a blank blank trophy”. He was so heavy the three of us like to have never got him on the back of the truck. When we got back to camp we went to the soybean field and I put Tom back in the stand and ask him to show me where the deer were. I walked out in the soybean field about 65 yards from the stand and found good blood and the buck had run over this little rise in the field and expired about 25 yards from where he was hit. Tom had no idea he had hit the buck, first time ever deer hunting and first time every shooting a deer rifle. Nothing like beginners luck.  It was a nice 8 pointer with a 17 inch inside spread. Needless to say his boss Bob was really empress with some Georgia deer hunting. When we got the deer to the cooler there must have been 40 hunters around looking at that buck. This one guy asked me if I had shot this buck off of Charlie Fuller Road. I told him that was where our lease was next to the soybean field. He lived right down the road and said I had shot the smaller of the two bucks he had seen in that field during the summer. He indicated that the huge 8 had been with an 11 pointer that was even bigger. The buck was 6 ½ years old and the thrill of a lifetime.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 05:49:54 AM by Split toe »
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BeaglePup

Re: My Best Buck to Date...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:22:35 AM »
That is one big boy for sure.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Online BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 11:29:02 AM »
Let me explain, that is not Split Toe's son, its Split Toe himself in another life!!! Many years ago...I mean many....But that is the biggest whitetail I have ever seen....And the story behind it is just as good as the deer is!!! 
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 11:35:33 AM »
He is a nice one.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 11:50:58 AM »
That is one good looking deer.  I agree, that one would be hard to top!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 01:48:05 PM »
Awesome buck!!! Can't wait to hear the story behind it.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 03:17:22 PM »
I reconize the truck, camper and deer but who is that young fellow?  --099-780 @--0--0105

Yes Bambi The Big!  Truly a great 8!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:23:36 PM by Deerhead »
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 04:27:46 PM »
dandy buck. I like the big 8's
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline rhawkins

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »
Certainly one to remember.  Hope you find a larger one in your sights this year.  Good hunting.
Randy Hawkins
USAF, MSgt (ret)
Lifetime NRA Member
NWTF Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman

Deer Hunting and Land/Wildlife Management Rocks

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 08:15:05 PM »
I'm not real sure you will ever top that with at least another 8pt. That's huge. Congrats

Offline kevin w

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 07:34:25 PM »
Congrats!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 08:33:38 PM »
Awesome buck!!! Can't wait to hear the story behind it.
OK I added the story...sorry it's so long
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: My Best Buck to Date...UPDATED WITH STORY
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 09:16:51 PM »
thanks for the story I love reading them great deer
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »
Yep, that's a dandy anywhere, but certainly a monster for Georgia - well done!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online BoBallistic

• Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 01:38:20 AM »
Split - Thanks for posting the story of "Bambi the Big". I never get tired of hearing it. The club members tried and get Split to tell it every year at deer camp. I have to admit it is the biggest GA whitetail I had ever laid my eyes on....

There was a huge buck taken here in Tennessee a few years ago on a WMA hunt in a place called Catoosa. When I saw it, the buck was still in the back of the pick up truck and it was shot about 9:30 in the morning chasing..one monster buck. There was a crowd around his truck for sure. The buck was shot only about 1/2 mile from where I was hunting at that morning. Of course I saw only a few smaller deer that morning....LOL...

Split is one of those guys who can tell stories and jokes and keep you in stitches or the edge of your seat with everyone of them....I keep telling him that Foxworthy has nothing on him....There is another guy in our hunt club called "Sonny" and he and Split Toe go back a long way and make up a great comedy team. Get some spirits in them and a big roaring fire after the hunt. Great times and stories at our hunt camp....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad