New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Handy Rifle  (Read 457 times)

Online MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Handy Rifle
« on: November 10, 2013, 05:54:54 PM »
Our new local Dick's sporting good store has the Handy Rifles in various calibers for $199.00!  Love to have something like that chambered in either .357, .44 or .223.  Might as well add the .308 Win.  Won't happen since I recently purchased two new toys.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Handy Rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 08:56:02 PM »
I bought one in 22-250 a couple years ago. I honed the barrel and put leupold rings and bases on it with a leupold 3x9x50. Planned on it being my little yote gun. I still have it and use it some but it just isn't an accurate gun. 3 in groups at best at 100 yds.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: Handy Rifle
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:00:43 AM »
Ive been wanting one of these for a while. I was looking at the 308 or the .357.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 11:06:49 PM »
I bought one of the Handi-rifles in .223 a few years ago with the intention of having my wife use it on 'yotes around the house since it's such a simple gun and she's not (yet) an experienced gun person.  It was on sale & I feel like I got a good deal, but I got one with a bull barrel on it and that was a mistake on my part, as it is so unbalanced (front-heavy) that she really struggles to shoot it unless she has a good rest for it.  I suppose the weight helps minimize the recoil a bit, but on a .223 that's generally not much of an issue.  I do need to replace the piece of junk scope that came with the gun, but overall I'm relatively pleased with how it shoots from a rest at 100 yds.  I wouldn't want to carry it around in the woods much due to the weight & balance, but to keep it handy around the house when a coyote trots by, it will do the trick.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 01:54:44 PM »
ML - Go ahead and get you one! Maybe they will be an after Christmas and before New Year's special pricing on them.....I would get the 223 model..add a 308 later ( by next deer season)..I would put a good scope on it maybe something like a Vortex Crossfire II on it and do what Russcat did, Hone the barrel! This can easily be done by you...on inexpensive barrels the don't do any polishing on the inside  (They got to cut corners somewhere). By honing or polishing the inside of the barrel, you can improve its accuracy dramatically. If not, then after you shot it a couple hundred times, it will accurate.  For sure, clean the barrel after every shot for 30 to 35 times. This will also help its accuracy.

Don't be afraid to experiment with different weight bullets...find out what twist the barrel has and go from there. I have 223 twist anywhere from 8 to 12 inches and believe me they are very sensitive to what ammo you shoot in them. If necessary call the factory to see what twist is in it. They will be more than glad to help...

Madgomer - I have been using heavy barrels for over 40 years now. Carried on up and down those Colorado Mountains on 15 Elk Hunts. You are right, they are front end heavy and after the first couple of hunts, installed a bi-pod or carried shooting sticks with me. Most are 26" long!! You cannot hold it on the target for very long before your left arm starts shaking....but these days I use short 20" heavy barrel for most of my deer hunting and they weigh just as much as a regular rifle does about 7.5 to 8 lbs. But believe me they are accurate, very accurate.

Put a good scope, base and rings on it....good luck and let us know how it shoots and what you top it off with.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad