New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Hunting with youngsters  (Read 843 times)

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Hunting with youngsters
« on: September 21, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
Today was the start of the 2 day early doe season in MI.  I had the pleasure of taking a friend's 18 yr old daughter deer hunting for the first time in her life.  Dad went along as the photographer.  Unfortunately, she did not get the opportunity to displays her shooting skills, but I will have to say I was impressed how she handled a 12 ga the day before.  Although she has shot other firearms, she had never shot a 12 ga. before.  She had me take one shot, just so she could see, then she proceeded to shoot 4 slugs at a target 50 yds away.  Her first two shots were 2-3 inches to the right, and the other two were quite a bit farther off.  Not bad for not being familiar handlind a 12 ga, and the gun not sighted in for her.  Both her dad and I told her both her first shots were killing shots.  We did see a couple of does, unfortunately, they were behind us.  At any rate, both Dad and Daughter had fun, and are ready to do it again, during the regular firearm deer season.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: Hunting with youngsters
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 02:05:56 PM »
That's awesome ML, you are doing some great stuff there and to get dad out there with a camera to capture the event is pretty neat.

Keep doing what you are doing, love the stories
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 08:31:30 PM »
They'll be back on Sunday afternoon.  Hopefully, I'll have better news to report!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »
Just getting a new hunter in the woods is well worth it. I hope she had luck today

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 07:29:17 PM »
I really enjoy taking 1st timers out. WI youth season is in 2 weeks. I can't wait

nice work
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:03:40 AM »
I'm sorry to say the young lady was not successful in getting her first deer.  She was able to take a shot at a doe, but missed completely.  Her dad went out with her, I simply kept checking from the house (my blind is only about 60 yds from the house, and have a pretty good view of the area)  He texted me and said she was going to take the shot, and I could see the doe.  From the doe's reaction, I didn't think she was hit.  I did go down to help them check.  We were unable to find any indications of a hit.  No hair or blood.  I'm sure she was affected by it, but didn't show it much.  Both her dad and I tried to reassure her that things like that do happen.  They went back to the blind and stayed pretty much until legal shooting time was over.  They did see another doe walking down the path, but all of a sudden it turned abruptly and ran to the north, into the neighbors property.  I have seen them do that quite often.  At any rate, they had a pretty interesting afternoon, and she's ready to come back on Nov. 15, the firearm deer opener.  She should be able to hunt both the opener, which falls on a Friday, and then Saturday.  I'm definitely looking forward to this upcoming season.
NRA Life Member.

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Hunting with youngsters
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:24:17 AM »
Sometimes a miss will make them want to come back more than after taking a deer. A first timer simply viewing deer  in the woods is a big plus. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 08:31:03 AM »
Glad to see you helping out with a young hunter. I am sure she appreciates all you did for her.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 09:29:55 AM »
Great Job Louie. Even though it wasn't a success,I am sure she will remember those hunts the rest of her life. I hope she returns next year and finishes what you have started.

New Page 3

Google Ad