New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 2011 Safari Trophies Coming Home - Finally  (Read 1493 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
2011 Safari Trophies Coming Home - Finally
« on: August 22, 2013, 12:54:41 AM »
I just wanted to share some good news and sad news with you. The good news is that we got a call from the taxidermist saying our Safari animals are ready for pick up. The sad news is that of my three trophies, I am only going to bringing home two of them. Billy lost two of his six trophies. Thanks to our Taxidermist, Billy will bring home all his trophies, but three of them will have replacement hides on them.  We will picked them up over in Franklin, NC in week or two. Remember, our Safari was in spring of 2011. Two and half years later the trophies in any form comes home, finally.

Here is the story, I went over to South Africa on my first Safari in 2009 had all the taxidermy work completed by a local taxidermist, no problems. About eight months later a big crate arrived and I drove down to Atlanta and picked the crate up and drove it back home. All the trophies were fine…they look really good on the wall. Waterbuck, Kudu, Impala, Bushbuck, Warthog, Zebra Rug (and shot and left three jackals).

In 2011, I was ready for another one and took Billy with me. He is my shooting buddy for many years now, I drugged him along on his first Safari. We had a great time, Billy took 7 trophies, and I took three. The outfitter has a huge salt house where his staff skins out the animals and salts them down ready for the next step in the process. Note: Since 2009, the local taxidermist (who done my 2009 Trophies) retired and sold the business to someone else, one that our outfitter did not see eye to eye with. So the outfitter took another approach in trying to get out trophies back to us. An approach I would not recommend to anyone else.

This time he was going to salt our trophies down, have a Dipper and Shipper come by and take them back to his shop in town, dip the hides in a brine solution and get them ready to ship to the Tannery in Raleigh NC, boils the skulls and ship the horns to the taxidermy in Franklin, NC.  You can have them either wet tanned or dry tanned depending on what type of mount you want to have done. A wet tanning is what you have done for a wall mounted trophy, like most of our deer mounts. If you want a rug type mount, then a dry tanning process is what you have done.  After the tanning process takes place then they are shipped to the taxidermy for final mounting.

When the skins/hides got to the taxidermy, we got a call. The taxidermy over in Franklin NC wanted to talk/see to us in person. Billy and I drove over and were shocked. The taxidermist told us that there was too much damage done to the skin on the Zebra that he could not complete the mount. I got a most of the hind in rug form but completely lost the mount. He was able to salvage the Nyala and Blue Wildebeest with some adjustments. All the hinds had damage on them, but some could be saved, some could not. I have to adjust the style and turn of the mounts for it to work out. Not proper care had been taken with the hides and bugs got into the hides and eat their skins up. Billy lost some of his trophies but after some searching and working with taxidermist found replacement skins for his Kudu, Impala and Bushbuck. The Red Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest and Waterbuck hides were ok. He had a rug made out of the Zebra.

The outfitter washed his hands of the whole thing. He told us that it would have been the dipper or tanner who caused the problems and he suggested for us to contact them to see what they could do. We are so disappointed all around, when you spend $20K+ on a Safari you want at least to get your trophies back to hang on the wall. To be fair, the outfitter has offered for us to come back over and shoot our trophies again for free. Well nothing is free. Would cost $2000 to $2500 to fly back over and another $5000 to stay at the outfitters place for a short seven day Safari…so you are looking at another $10K to replace the trophies that got mishandled from the get go. When we met the Outfitter he said he would use another taxidermist in the area. The question is, why did not he use them last time?

We feel like this is the wrong way to do business. In a way it is our fault for trusting everyone involved. Our problems could have been at the outfitters ranch or dipper and shipper plant or could be the Tannery. We both feel our taxidermist is the right one. He has gone head and shoulders to help Billy find substitute hides for his trophies. I'm sure if I wanted a Zebra, the taxidermy could come up with one, but for me it would not be the same having something on the wall that you did not shoot. He has done lots of Safari Trophies and we are thinking about booking a Safari with him, never again with the original outfitter, just the way he handle the whole process.

We are suggesting to anyone who leaves the country to hunt or Alaska or anywhere they cannot bring their trophies home with them, let the local taxidermy where your hunt is do your mounts!!! With this process we just went through, there was to many people handling our trophies, something was bound to go wrong. Just happy to get my two Trophies, the Nyala and Blue Wildebeest home. Am looking strongly at going to New Mexico on a Oryx/Gemsbok and Aoudad hunt, but for sure have the taxidermy work done locally.   
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: 2011 Safari Trophies Coming Home - Finally
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 04:43:48 PM »
I heard the tough economy has been extremely hard on the African outfitters. I heard several went out of business.

glad you got some trophies out
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 02:53:54 AM »
Yari - Thanks for the reply...yes that is true...the outfitter told us that he had only 4 Safaris in 2012 and three so far this year....

Our trophies have been over in the states for over a year now and we both think the tannery is where the problem is but we cannot prove it....

Everyone we talk to over in SA told us that the country has been going down hill since the early 90's. They also tell us that a lot of younger people are leaving SA for Australia, Germany, Netherlands and the States....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:42:04 AM »
It could have been worse and yould could have got nothing back. It does suck though. Please post some pic's of  mounts when you get them hung on your wall.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline BeaglePup

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 10:58:53 AM »
I know it has been a nightmare for you from what you have said here on TH since you were in SA.  Glad to see that you are going to finally have your trophies.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 08:25:01 PM »
Thanks BP - After I got back from the 2011 Safari in May of 2011, had all those knee surgeries and that certainly did not help the situation.

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 10:06:13 AM »
We have a date of Sept 14 to meet with the Taxidermist in Franklin, NC and pick up the Trophies....this will bring to a close the 2011 Safari. The only down side was the Zebra Trophy. I was hoping to have a Zebra Shoulder mount and to in-between the Nyala and the Blue Wildebeest....will put the Zebra Rug I had made that I had made back in 2009....

Billy will bring home his 6 Trophies and mount them on his wall.....

The final cost will be between $20K and $21K....

Going on Safari is like working in a Nuclear Plant, the paper work never ends, you have got to look at the smallest details and the end cost is very expensive.
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
2011 Safari Trophies Coming Home - Finally
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »
Can't wait to see the pics. I'm sure you will be relieved when they finally make it home.

Ya I know, everything is hard nowadays.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 10:05:53 AM »
I am attaching a couple of field pictures of the trophies that I took and the two that will go on the Wall probably this coming Sunday afternoon...I will be glad to close this chapter and looking forward to going to New Mexico for Auodad and Oryx (Gemsbok) in 2014....

All were taken with a Nosler TGR Model 48 in 300 WSM, using a 180 gn Barnes TTSX bullet....the Blue Wildebeest was taken at 211 yards and the Nyala was taken at 140 yards...if you look closely at the Nyala you can see the bullet hole right behind the front shoulder, the little spec....he took two steps and fell, the Blue Wildebeest was a facing shot and he dropped in his tracks....

First picture is of the Nyala and second picture is of the Blue Wildebeest....the Zebra I took was completely lost.....improper handling by either Outfitter, Dipper or Tannery (here in the states) lead to the destruction of the hide....

So the moral of this story is to get a local taxidermy to do your trophies, no matter where you hunt at... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline rhawkins

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 11:37:51 AM »
What a great post.  One of the best educational articles I have read and thanks for posting. I am sure that it is difficult to think about the loss of your animals and you money.  The memories however are incredible and I hope that the picture s you took were good enough for framing.  This kind of hunt is certainly on my bucket list.  Thanks again for sharing. 
Randy Hawkins
USAF, MSgt (ret)
Lifetime NRA Member
NWTF Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman

Deer Hunting and Land/Wildlife Management Rocks

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 04:57:45 AM »
rhawkins - Thanks for the compliment. Like all my post, I try to inform, educate and share a laugh or two along this journey we call life.....we did get the boys home Saturday afternoon. Initially, I put down deposits on three animals so when I got the final bill, it was for two trophies. Like I said, lost the Zebra completely. It is almost like shooting and animal, having a good blood trail and never finding him.

The final bill was almost $1400. I will add that to the total and come up with a final figure. The tanning of the hides is really what cost, that really surprised me. I don't any sponsors that are paying for any of my trips, just work and save money fo the next one.

The Taxidermist I cannot say enough about. He covered up some damage cause by the bugs and you cannot tell it every had any problems. Wilderness Taxidermy over in Franklin, NC; Bill and Linda Fuchs, great couple, both hunt and they have been all over the world hunting and fishing!

I must admit that he did stir my interest in another Safari over in Namibia and a Black Bear hunt in Newfoundland, but a little more reasonable. I will start laying out the cost of another Safari and see what I can come up with....

I will post a couple of pictures of the boys on the wall in a few weeks after I get them mounted, got to move a few things around first...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 06:55:03 PM »
question for you would you go again
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 08:43:38 PM »
It was a good day at the BoKnows308 house...Finally got the newest members of the family up on the wall...See picture...it started out with a blank wall with 3 basket of flowers hanging from the ceiling (been there since 91) so finally removed them...mirrors also have been there since 91 and have not decided whether to keep them up or not and the rest is history...

The Warthog was from the Safari in 2009, the European mount is of a 10 pointer I wish I had never shot, but wished I would had let him walk for another couple of years. The Whitetail is from a hunt down in Southern Ga. This was the last deer on the last day...did see a much bigger one (thinking it was his dad) on the first day, within one hour after getting on the stand, but did not shoot the first thing I saw...that makes up that wall..Zebra rug will be laid down in the morning in the man cave....

This closes the book on the messed up Safari of 2011...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad