New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: A little bit closer  (Read 967 times)

Offline tikkaman

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Hunt in Iron Range MN & Dunn County WI
A little bit closer
« on: August 18, 2013, 08:31:23 AM »
To being ready for my first bow season.  I got the peep sight adjusted yesterday and I bought 3 beman ics bow hunter 400 arrow with practice tips.  Has anyone used these arrows before?
Hunt with your kids not for your kids
Mathews switchback
Tikka T3 lite S/S  30-06

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: A little bit closer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 09:10:15 AM »
yes on the arrow I hunt with them work well for me      %^$^     you just need a good hunting hat    ##$%#1118     can't wait to hear you stories you need to start a journal
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
A little bit closer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 09:20:57 AM »
I also shoot Beeman ICS Pro Hunter 400's. that's all I've ever used with my Drenalin. My bow tech matched it all up andnits always worked great.

By now you have probably started ripping fletchings.  It's about time to stop trying to shoot groups and start aiming at different bulls each shot. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 09:52:53 AM »
Sounds good, tikka!!     Beman's are some good arrows.   I shoot GoldTips, but just about all the arrows out nowadays are great.   The trick is matching what works best on your setup.    You're shooting great so I'd say you found the right combo!!    Best of luck this year!!
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline foodplot19

• 8 Point
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
I have some friends that shoot them and they like 'em tikk.  I still shoot the old Gold Tips Made in the USA.

I can't wait to hear your stories.

Best of luck!!
Class of 88
Journeyman Lineman 17 years
Love to spend time outside with the wife and kiddos
Proud to say everything on or with my bow is MADE IN USA!!! Mathews Switchback XT
Constant boredom interspersed with moments of shear terror!!
Team Backstrap Obsession 14'-15' Whitetail Championship

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 02:10:11 PM »
can't say that I have. I shoot carbon express. either way, all carbons are miles ahead of the old aluminum shafts I use to shoot.

good luck. practice until it becomes automatic. that will help when the fever hits
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline tikkaman

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 10:09:16 PM »
I also shoot Beeman ICS Pro Hunter 400's. that's all I've ever used with my Drenalin. My bow tech matched it all up andnits always worked great.

By now you have probably started ripping fletchings.  It's about time to stop trying to shoot groups and start aiming at different bulls each shot.

Not a Robin Hood yet,  ##$%#114 still waiting to shoot it.
Mathews switchback
Tikka T3 lite S/S  30-06

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
A little bit closer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 11:31:41 PM »

Not a Robin Hood yet,  ##$%#114 still waiting to shoot it.
I'm not referring to a Robin Hood. I'm saying when you get a bow set up right and shoot at the same bull with 3-4 shots you will start ripping fletchings off the arrows that are already in the target.  It gets expensive. A Robin Hood is when you one arrow sticks into another arrow. 

I never had that problem until I got my Drenalin. The 2nd group I shot I busted a Robin Hood. This happened at the bow shop the day I got it.  He set it all up, I shot one group and handed him the bow, he adjusted the sight a little, then I shot 2 more arrows and the 2nd one robin hooded the first one. I couldn't believe it. Then about once a week I was dropping off arrows and picking up others I had refletched. He finally told me to stop shooting at the same bull if I wanted to stop paying him to refletch my arrows....Duh!   Why didn't I think of that?  I don't think I've had an arrow refletched since.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

Offline tikkaman

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 09:37:51 PM »
@ least you were doing a good job of keeping a steady stream of business going for you favorite bow shop!   :2)

I am so ready to send a few arrows towards a target.   I'm still waiting on a friend of mine to find his extra release.  He misplaced his last year and bought another one,  but he found the missing one so he is willing to give me his spare.  I'll give it another week but losing patience, September 14 is coming real soon.
Mathews switchback
Tikka T3 lite S/S  30-06

Offline russcat

• 14 Point
A little bit closer
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 10:08:21 PM »
Yes it is. It will be here before you know it. But you have time.

Another word of advice if I may. Don't shoot more than 12-15 arrows per practice session. Shoot 2-4 arrows then go retrieve your arrows giving your muscles time to rest. Eventhough you may not realize it or feel it your muscles tire and your accuracy will suffer. THis is something I wish someone would have told me when I first started into archery. I spent many frustrating evenings trying to sight in my bow when all that was wrong was my bow muscles were tired. Now days I shoot about 9-10 and I'm done. 
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

-Joshua Crutchield

New Page 3

Google Ad