New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: JALA RUT 2013 Hunting Journal  (Read 2126 times)

Offline foxhunter126

• 10 Point
  • Foxhunter
Re: JALA RUT 2013 Hunting Journal
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 07:20:22 PM »
Nice going Jala, that is a nice animal for sure. I was down to my camp in Naples on Tuesday and Wednesday last week but did not hunt. Had to repair a section of rotted roof eves and no chance to hunt. Went out this afternoon in Scottsville, NY which is South West of Henrietta and had 12 does during the late afternoon. No signs of rutting or grunting here as yet. Glad you had a great hunt and thanks for sharing.
Foxhunter
Eat,Sleep,Hunt
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Wild Turkey Federation
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Region 8 Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)
Executive Committee NYS Fish and Wildlife Board (retired)

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
JALA RUT 2013 Hunting Journal
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 09:07:09 PM »
That's a great buck right there.  Good job on the hunt.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline JALA RUT

• Sept. 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 05:09:19 PM »
Well, I haven't been out bow hunting since I got my buck on 10/26...Didn't want to take a doe just yet with meat already in the freezer, hoping that by letting the does go at this point maybe one of them will be hot in estrous dragging a big buck behind her during gun season.  So, instead, I checked trail cam last weekend and freshened up a mock scrape by one of my stands.  Yesterday I primed my new 30-06 rifle barrel and today got it zeroed in at 100 yards.  Looking forward to opening of gun season on Saturday 11/16/13, however, I can only hunt until about 9:30 in the morning opening day.  I have to go to a wedding that day --- of all days, OPENING DAY!  But at least after that I'm off of work for the whole week...Good Luck all .......Hunt Safe, Hunt Hard, and Have Fun!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 07:38:40 PM by JALA RUT »
2014/15 Deer Hunting Championship Team#18; Buck Dynasty
Hunt Safe, Hunt Hard, Hunt Ethically and Have Fun!

Offline JALA RUT

• 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »
A couple of the bucks from the last trail cam check...

Offline JALA RUT

• 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 10:47:56 AM »
11/16 - Gun Season started today...In stand early...but unfortunately had to be out of stand early too.  Can you believe a Wedding this afternoon, of all days, - A wedding on the gun season opener.  Oh well, so no all day sit for me today but at least I'm off work all week.  As for the weather, warm with temps in the 40's to start with and forcasted to get into the low 60's, light SW breeze.  Hunting the Creek Mound Stand.  Passed on a doe at 7:00 and saw two more doe about 8:10.  Then out of tree by 9:30.....Good Luck all!

Offline JALA RUT

• 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »
Well, way behind on the Journal so time to get her caught up, now that Gun Season is over and we are into the Muzzle Loader Season.
I had the opening week of gun season off of work and put in some major stand time, after my shortened opening day, with 5 all-day(dark to dark) sits.  The number of sightings started out slow for the week but activity picked up as the woods settled down a little later as the season progressed:
11/17 - Evening hunt in Cousin's Ladder, Breezy with temps in the 40's, saw nothing.
11/18 - Late morning to Evening hunt in Cousin's Ladder, Windy with temps in the 40's; Passed on a small 3 or 4 Pt, and passed on 2 doe.
11/19 - My first all day sit during gun season, Behind Pond Ladder, Breezy with temps in the 30’s-40’s.  Only saw 2 doe but also saw a group of 4 raccoons and 2 fox (Prob the same fox in the morning and late afternoon).
11/20 - All day sit in the Behind Pond Ladder, Slight Breeze with temps in the high 20’s - upper 30’s. Saw no deer but saw a nice flock of turkeys which included some long beards….Will be looking forward to May 1st for some turkey action!
11/21 - All day sit in the Behind Pond Ladder, Slight Breeze, 30’s - upper 40’s.  Saw a small buck and 3 doe plus that flock of turkeys again with some long beards mixed in the bunch.
11/22 - All day sit in the Behind Pond Ladder, Calm with S&SE 6-8MPH winds with warm temps in the 40’s to low 50’s.  Only saw 1 deer, but was a cool sighting; a small 4point came into my mock scrape.  He was actually standing in it and lip curling smelling my scent canister hanging about 6 yds from my make scrape.  Then he walked up to my scent canister before walking away right in front of my stand…Passed on him at about 10 yds! Love those close encounters! Also saw a flock of turkeys and raccoon
11/23 - Morning hunt in Cousin’s ladder Stand until about 12:30, Windy with N winds about 12-15 MPH.  Saw nothing.
11/24 - All day sit in the Behind Pond Ladder, Windy and Cold with 15-20MPH winds and 25 MPH gusts, temps upper teens - mid 20’s. Passed on a small buck and saw another deer…unsure on buck or doe, plus saw a nice thick coated mature gray fox.
That about rounds out opening week of gun season with minimal deer activity.  Back to work and will be hunting Fridays - Sunday the next two weeks until the gun season closes.  Ended up doing 4 more all day sits over these six days but the deer activity seemed to have picked up as well:
11/29 - All day sit in the Behind Pond Ladder, Cold and Calm with N – NW winds about 6-8 MPH with temps in the mid teens to low 20’s and only Saw1 doe all day…makes for a long day in  tree!
11/30 - Morning hunt in the Behind Pond Ladder until about 1:00, Cold and breezy with SE-S winds about 8-15MPH with temps in the mid teens.  The deer activity picked up seeing 9 doe and passing up shots at five of them…No bucks.
12/1 - All day sit in the Behind Pond Ladder, Mild and calm with SSW 6-10 MPH winds with temps in the 30’s-40’s, saw 1 buck and 11 doe.  The small buck was chasing two doe.
12/6 - All day sit in the Behind Pond Ladder, Chilly with slight W breeze,  8-10MPH winds with temps in mid 20’s – mid 30’s.  Seen 2 buck and 10 doe, passing up about a 40 yd shot at a small 8 point.  Was kicking myself after that because I wanted to get a deer with my new rifle so bad…Also passed on a small 3 or 4 pt plus some does.  Had a nice plump button buck come in and bedded down about 20 yds from me for about 20 minutes before he busted me trying to get pictures of him.  Plus saw a flock of turkeys with a bunch of long beards in the mix to include a two bearded gobbler….pretty cool.
12/7 - All day sit in the Behind Pond Ladder, Chilly and Breezy, 10-12MPH WNW winds mid 20’s –low 30’s.  Saw 8 doe and my first “shooter” buck of the gun season.  At about 3:10 he walked out of the pines along the stone wall walking at a quick pace about 70-80 yds out.  Never slowed down enough to settle the cross hairs on him, tried grunting and bleating with no luck.  He just kept walking on his mission and never presented a shot I was confident in taking so in a matter of seconds he had come and gone with me even pulling the trigger.
12/8 - Last Day of New York’s Regular Deer Season; Morning hunt in the Behind Pond Ladder, Cold and calm with 6MPH W winds and temps in the low 20’s.  Saw 1 buck, a “shooter buck”, I think the same buck from yesterday and 6 doe.  Ended up breaking in my new rifle taking the buck at about 9:40 AM, a mature 11 Point.  Not a huge buck but a respectable buck!
Story and pics for the Journal to follow.
Good Luck All……….Hunt safe, Hunt hard, and have FUN!

Offline JALA RUT

• 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 06:47:02 PM »
Finally got time to add the story and pics for my 11 Point:

I was off work for the final weekend of the NY Gun Season so I could finish of the gun season hunting Friday thru Sunday.  Did all day sits, dark to dark, Friday and Saturday with no shots.  Passed on a small 8 Point Friday and saw my first Shooter Buck of the gun season Saturday but couldn't get a shot I was comfortable with taking so no shot!  Sunday I was only able to hunt until 11:00 so the plan was for a sit in the same spot where I saw the shooter the day before from sunrise until 11:00.  I knew the weather was supposed to be downright frigid and the ground would be extremely crunchy from frost so I planned to head into the woods extra early to give the area time to settle before sunrise.  I was hoping that the Shooter Buck was going to make an appearance again and I didn't want to risk spooking him out of the area heading in too late...so I was in my stand a good hour and a half before sunrise...and it was cold!
A little after light I had two doe come running through and I was thinking maybe the buck was chasing them but didn't see anything more.  Then at about 9:25 I saw three doe slowly walking through the area.  They were about 65 yards away and I debated taking the mature doe.  I wanted to get a deer with my new rifle so bad.  I took my rifle off the hook but I decided to pass on her and hung it back up.  She was a mature doe but with two fawns from this past spring and just didn't have the heart to take her...plus I still had visions of that shooter buck in my mind so I passed.  So I watched them with the binoculars instead.  Suddenly while watching them the adult doe snaps her head around looking off into the woods, followed by the other two deer doing the same.  They were intently looking into the woods and I could tell they were definitely hearing something that I couldn't.  I scanned ahead with the binoculars ... nothing.  Then, I see a doe doing trotting through the woods heading the direction of the other three deer...then, I see him.  She is being followed by a shooter buck and they are still heading down towards the other three deer.  My first thought is that he looked similar to the one I saw the day before.  At this point the other three deer decide to start walking away but as the doe and buck approached they circled back to their original spot.  Now the followed doe is about 70 yards from me and the buck is walking behind her.  I line up the scope and ..... BANG!  My new rifle roars.  The buck bounded ahead and went down.  I couldn't believe how fast it came together.  I pulled out the binoculars and checked him out from the stand...Looked like he was down and out!  I put my gear away and took a picture of the buck down from the stand.  Then I climbed down and walked to him.  Broke in my new rifle on a last day of the NY Gun Season 11 Pointer! (12/08/13 @ 9:40 AM)     

Offline JALA RUT

• 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 06:48:21 PM »
and the pics!

Offline JALA RUT

• 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 06:50:05 PM »
a couple more

Offline JALA RUT

• 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
When quartering him up we found that he had a dislocated shoulder apparently hit by a bowhunter.  Found the broadhead lodged in behind the shoulder.  It's amazing what these deer can withstand sometimes - Bow season closed on Nov 15 and here he is still walking around with an imbedded broadhead on Dec 8!

Offline JALA RUT

• 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 06:57:51 PM »
Made it out for a final deer hunt with the smoke pole the last weekend of muzzleloader...had to get out with it at least once!
12/15 - A short evening hunt on the ground behind Cousin's Ladder looking for a doe, cold snow covered landscape, with mild breeze 8-10 MPH out of the East.  Sat from about 2:30 until sunset.  Saw nothing but the snowy landscape was beautiful.  A fitting way to close out the 2013 Deer Season 

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 08:12:14 PM »
My dad was a meatcutter for many years, and used to cut up quite a few deer back in the 60's & 70's.  He was constantly warning us to be careful any time we were helping him cut one up, as it was not at all unusual to find broadheads in them, particularly around the heavy bones.  As you said, it's amazing what these dudes can deal with.  I don't think I'm tough enough to survive in the wilderness with something like that sticking in me.  My friends and I have also killed several deer through the years that we've found shotgun slugs in, but otherwise seemed perfectly healthy at the time of the shot.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline JALA RUT

• 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »
Well with the NY Deer Season over, time for me to tally my deer hunting log!
I logged a total of 151.75 hrs on stand...32.5 hours during bow season before I bagged my Bow Buck, 116.75 during gun season before I bagged my Gun Buck, and 2.5 hours during MuzzleLoader Season. 
I logged 79 deer sightings...17 Buck, 60, Doe/Antlerless, and 2 Unknown...I know at least 4 of the antlerless sightings were button bucks including one time the button buck bedded down less than 20 yards from my stand.  Love those close encounters!
Plus, lots of other cool sightings out there, including a flock of long beards, one of which had two beards...first time I've seen a double bearded gobbler in the wild...Now waiting for Spring Turkey Season - Come on May 1st!
I saw less deer over all but it was a good season with tagging two mature bucks!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »
That 8pt is impressive.  that photo would make a good poster!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline JALA RUT

• 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 07:11:49 AM »
Thanks Louie!

New Page 3

Google Ad