New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Long Range Bow Shots  (Read 705 times)

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
Long Range Bow Shots
« on: July 16, 2013, 08:50:15 AM »
I have been shooting bow @ 60yds for a few years now and would not think twice about taking a live shot at deer at that range if the conditions were right. So this summer I decided to move back just for practice/fun.  (If you have not done it then you should because it is a blast)
I have a pin now sighted in from 20 to 80yds and am keeping a group of less than four inches at 80yds., but when I try to sight my 90yd pin in I am LUCKEY if I keep three of four arrows in the kill zone of a 3D deer target.
I am not planning on ever taking a live shot over 60yds, but after shooting 80yds. And then move up to 60yds. It really seems like a chip shot now.
Does anyone else shoot longer distance and may have any ideas that may help me figure out why I am having so much trouble getting my 90yd pin dialed in. I really just think that 80yds is my max, but I am open to any ideas if you may have any because I was hoping to get to 100yds dialed in. 

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Long Range Bow Shots
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 09:18:01 AM »
Not sure about the 90 yd thing other than it simply gets harder and groups get wider as you move out.

Back when I had an inferior bow I would go out in a round hay bale field with my range finder and practice shots at different ranges. I would pick a spot on the bale, range the bale, and let it fly. Of course i was always testing my limits. i took a lot of shots out to 100 yds or so. Its neat to see what the arrow does at longer distances.  It was lots of fun. Nowadays I have a Mathews Drenalin and can't shoot into hay bales without burying my arrow.

You know your limits better than anyone. Just keep in mind at 60 yds the deer will move from the time you release your arrow to when it arrives at the deer. Those things have such incredible reflexes. My personal limit is 40 yds on a calm deer. An elk or larger animal with slower reflexes I think I could put it in the kill zone at 60. But not a deer....unless it was asleep....lol
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
Re: Long Range Bow Shots
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:15:01 AM »
I haven't shot that far. When I think its my form. I pull out the video camera. Video yourself at 60, 80, and 90 yards. Just a thought. Awesome, shooting.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 09:48:28 PM »
good idea about the video gobi. you can learn a lot watching yourself.

I use to shoot 80 all the time. now I have a 50 yard max range. I need to find a new range

food for thought. randy ulmer shot a big elk last year. the first shot was 35 yards and the second was 105, if I remember correctly. both were double lung and complete pass through. our bows are lethal at a lot longer ranges than we can shoot. that said, russ is right. at longer ranges any animal movement can be a real issue. only shoot at ranges and conditions you are completely comfortable with. we owe that to our prize

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
Long Range Bow Shots
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 10:04:51 PM »
That's some good shootin there. My personal comfort zone is 30 yards or less. I'm sure my bow can shoot farther but the person doing the shooting can't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline foodplot19

• 8 Point
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 12:31:32 PM »
Lig, not sure the answer. I shoot at about all distances. Especially further, like you said it makes the shorter shots seem easier. Last year I tried the 80yd shot. Everything was perfect. I was on the ground in tall grass and they were all in the food plot. I flat smoked her. She just started to step when the arrow got to her. I sware it looked like a mortar flying through the air. But it flew great. 30' more could make a difference. Is the arrow grazing your sight? I know on my single pin I have to be careful where I move the sight.
Class of 88
Journeyman Lineman 17 years
Love to spend time outside with the wife and kiddos
Proud to say everything on or with my bow is MADE IN USA!!! Mathews Switchback XT
Constant boredom interspersed with moments of shear terror!!
Team Backstrap Obsession 14'-15' Whitetail Championship

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 09:43:58 AM »
Foodplot19, that's a great shot and CONGRATS.

I found something that has helped me out ALOT. A friend of mine told me to try his stabilizer and I did. All I need to say is that I have bought my own. It is made by B-Stinger and with 6oz. of extra weight on the front it is amazing. I am not really sure how this alone helps so much, but it does. Or at least it does for me. I got my 80yds. groups much tighter and I am doing real good at 90yds. now.

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 07:49:45 AM »
I hear ya, ligpd.   I like shooting long range to hone skills but my bow's not fast enough to shoot that far while hunting.   Too much reaction time for the animal.    I won't shoot much over 40 yds. at an animal, but it's cool to watch an arrow fly 100 yds. and hit your target!!
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

New Page 3

Google Ad