New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Corn is doing great part 3!!!  (Read 470 times)

Offline foodplot19

• 8 Point
Corn is doing great part 3!!!
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:38:16 AM »
Finally the server is back up and running!!!!  Now I can show the pic's of the corn and the upcoming beans!!!!  Here they are.  Hope everyone had a fun and SAFE 4th!!!!! ##$%#1119
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:43:58 AM by foodplot19 »
Class of 88
Journeyman Lineman 17 years
Love to spend time outside with the wife and kiddos
Proud to say everything on or with my bow is MADE IN USA!!! Mathews Switchback XT
Constant boredom interspersed with moments of shear terror!!
Team Backstrap Obsession 14'-15' Whitetail Championship

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Corn is doing great part 3!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:32:22 AM »
Looking good.....
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BWHTR

• 6 Point
  • "Go for what you want not for what you can get"
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »
What is your secret?  I planted corn for the first time ever (about 3 acres) and it was doing great. One weekend I checked it and it was healthy and about 2' tall and 2 weeks later I went back and it was yellow and had been decimated by grasshoppers.  I assume that you are supposed to apply a pesticide to keep the critters off!  We also have about 4 acres of peas planted next to the corn and it is still doing great.  Do grasshoppers only like corn?
"If I am not hunting or fishing I am probably talking about hunting or fishing"

John 3:16
Bow Hunting Addict
NRA member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation member
Pope and Young member
Walnut Bayou Deer Management member
Mathews Bows

Offline foodplot19

• 8 Point
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:55:39 PM »
 @--0--0129
What is your secret?  I planted corn for the first time ever (about 3 acres) and it was doing great. One weekend I checked it and it was healthy and about 2' tall and 2 weeks later I went back and it was yellow and had been decimated by grasshoppers.  I assume that you are supposed to apply a pesticide to keep the critters off!  We also have about 4 acres of peas planted next to the corn and it is still doing great.  Do grasshoppers only like corn?
I'm not sure what the secret is. I planted it when everybody said it was too early.  We had plenty of rain and I really put the fertilizer to it. Checked it today and the ears are full!!
Knock on wood the grasshoppers have not been a problem. 
Last week I finally put Milorganite on the beans and it seemed to help a little bit. The beans in the test cages are about 14"-16" tall. Outside the cage they are anywhere from 3"-6". 
Thank You.
Class of 88
Proud to say everything on or with my bow is MADE IN USA!!! Mathews Switchback XT

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
Corn is doing great part 3!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 10:45:03 PM »
Man yea that's lookin good

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 08:02:04 AM »
BWHTR...I'm having the same proplem with the power plant...I planted field corn next to it and hardly anything came up...VERY THIN....wire worms got the seed...the the weeds had plenty of sun to grow...but left them for this was suppose to be a visual barrier...that has the growth slow but they are green and healthy...The power plant right next door....the beans are great and getting hit hard...the corn I threw in is doing great but the sorghum in the mix is just 2ft tall and turning yellow...the power plant on top of hill is now taking off great and is 3ft tall and the beans and the sunflower are 2ft tall..

The lower field is drier and sandy...It may be an iron deficiency due to all the rains we had this spring -summer....I'll be fertilizing today before the rains and if that doesn't work buying a few bags of iron-x...I pulled a couple of plants and the roots looked good so I don't think it's bug related

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 06:04:47 PM »
corn is a huge nitrogen hog. beans need potassium and phosphorous I had no luck w/ beans this year. last year they were rock stars. sometimes mother nature has different plans
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline foodplot19

• 8 Point
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 09:58:04 PM »
corn is a huge nitrogen hog. beans need potassium and phosphorous I had no luck w/ beans this year. last year they were rock stars. sometimes mother nature has different plans
Everything worked out this year yari.  I just hit it at the right times. I believe I put 100 lbs of 46-0-0 on that small plot of corn.  I'll get some current pic's and send them to ya in the next week or so. If we don't get some rain soon our beans are going to be just stubble.  Speaking of rain it is just now starting to sprinkle on the truck windows. Hopefully they do a little better.  I planted Winter Greens last week in the beans thinking the beans were going to get big enough to shade the ground.  Hoping that the beans help the Winter Greens with the nitrogen.
Class of 88

New Page 3

Google Ad