New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Arrow Aiming  (Read 857 times)

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
Arrow Aiming
« on: June 20, 2013, 07:59:37 PM »
Would like to know how everybody aims their arrow. I have read where you 'float' the arrow, then release it somewhere in the vicinity of the target. The other school of thought seems to be to pick a spot, don't lose sight of it and follow the arrow through until it hits the spot. What does everyone do? I have been picking a spot and seems to work for me. Thoughts? Doesn't seem like you can do both or am I missing something?
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline Woods Walker

• 6 Point
Re: Arrow Aiming
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:24:44 PM »
I focus not on the spot I want to hit, but on a MOLECULE on the spot I want to hit. The harder I can focus the more accurate I am. I know that I have to see the arrow throughout this process, but I blot that out as much as I can. I even cant my bow to have a little as possible in my line of sight. 

The absolute WORST thing I can do is start "thinking".  The more my brain tries to intervene with my muscle memory the worse the shot will be. When I'm shooting well I don't even recall coming to anchor. I am of course, but it's automatic.

No pins, no sights, no yardage estimation. Just look/concentrate/focus and let the body take over. 
Hunt hard,

Kill swiftly,

Waste nothing,

Offer no apologies.

>>>---------------------------->

NRA Endowment Life Member

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 09:06:35 PM »
aim small and you will miss small. I pick a spot myself
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Woods Walker

• 6 Point
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »
"...aim small and you will miss small."

I'm not one for tattoos or other body art, but if I ever had a tat done, THIS is what it would say!
Hunt hard,

Kill swiftly,

Waste nothing,

Offer no apologies.

>>>---------------------------->

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 11:46:29 PM »
Do you sight along your arrow Bear, or do you have a certain anchor point like maybe along your jawbone?   
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 07:19:49 AM »
When I shot a bare bow, none of that worked consistently for me.  I'm left eye dominant, but shoot right handed.  Never gave it a thought.  It wasn't until I switched to a compound bow, with a pin sight and bowstring peep, that my accuracy improved.  I actually started putting dents in my aluminum arrows at 25 yds.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 09:27:05 AM »
I'm like ML with eye dominance and shooting ...so I have never been able to use sights...I do have the peep Eliminator which I love for target ...but I lost a monster the first time shooting live deer...which ended up causing me to buy a brand new bow and not put the sight on...haven't had even a long trail since....I pick a spot and my eye goes from broad head tip to spot and I shoot....just pull up and it's there...I practice so much and from so many yardages and tree heights after 17 some years of bow hunting it's just habit...any time a shot is off during practice it's due to concentration on steps....which are...to repeat...

This is your only shot

Bend at waist

DON"T GRIP BOW

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 09:52:04 PM »
I sight along the arrow. I think. I never did have an anchor point, like having my hand touch a certain point on my jaw. That's probably not a good thing but I've learned to shoot fairly well the other way. I just never learned with an anchor point but wish I did. I tried this year when I started shooting in the Spring but it felt really uncomfotable. I was shooting good the other way so I figured if it isn't broke, don't fix it. What's your opinion?

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 09:58:50 PM »
I sight along the arrow. I think. I never did have an anchor point, like having my hand touch a certain point on my jaw. That's probably not a good thing but I've learned to shoot fairly well the other way. I just never learned with an anchor point but wish I did. I tried this year when I started shooting in the Spring but it felt really uncomfotable. I was shooting good the other way so I figured if it isn't broke, don't fix it. What's your opinion?

if it's not broke don't fix it. I had to relearn how to shoot w/o an anchor when I switched to the PEEP ELIMINATOR. it's kind of a moving anchor.
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 08:54:08 AM »

Bear, you're the only one who knows what works for you.   I had the same problem when I started trying to use a peep on a compound bow.    Threw my mechanics and form off and I just couldn't get comfortable with it, so went back to what I know and what works for me.    With a recurve, I aim along the arrow.   I shoot 1 above and 2 below and bring my right hand back to where my ring finger on my right hand just touches my chin on the right side, then release.    With the bow canted right, that gives me a good look down the edge of the arrow.     I don't hold very long at all.    Once the animal is in the right position, it's maybe 3 seconds between when I first begin my draw and when I release the arrow.    You may not have a "defined" anchor point, but to maintain shot consistency, you have to bring the draw back to the same spot every time.    That's sort of an anchor point.     Stay with what works the best for you, and get lots of practice.    Maybe experiment with some different things just to see what happens but like you say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
Then I probably do have an anchor point, just a little less defined than some. I do draw back consistently and most arrows hit pretty consistent where I want them to. The guy that used to work at the bow shop I went to said that if I did have any inconsistency left or right was probably because I didn't have that 'specific' defined anchor point. I don't really have that problem so wherever I do anchor, it must be working. Maybe I need to film my shots so I can see just where I do anchor. When I pull back, it may be just instinct to where I draw back to from all the practice I do. Either way, it works and I don't want to overthink this and upset my 'instinct' and start thinking too much!

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 02:16:14 PM »
That would be a great idea, Bear!   Give you a chance to see exactly what you're doing all the way from start to finish.    I just put another string on my recurve and with 2 months before season, I gotta put in some serious practice time.   I may do the same and film it.    Just don't go all "Hollywood" on us!    --099-780   
      NRA member
      47 years, in pursuit!

New Page 3

Google Ad