New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Why not ?  (Read 508 times)

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
Why not ?
« on: June 03, 2013, 08:20:15 AM »
Food plot seed for elk, and moose. Why do you not see any food plot seed company's marketing a product towards these animals? I know the place's they live in are harder to get equipment too and tougher soil but a good throw and grow product might just be the ticket. They two can use the minerals for bigger racks.
What are your thoughts
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Why not ?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 09:14:24 AM »
I don't know much about them...but I assume, they being Cervids as are deer, eat basically the same types of things and have about the same types of mineral requirements as deer...just in larger quantities.....If this is the case looking at their range and habitat...cost of advertising budgets and taking into consideration the resourcefulness of hunters....Companies have found doing so would be not a good return for advertising dollar. That hunters would just use what they would for wht or blk tails..
Still not knowing much about them ..due to size  I would think that they tend to browse more on brush and trees and unlike deer eat water plants

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:22:44 AM »
Food plot seed for elk, and moose. Why do you not see any food plot seed company's marketing a product towards these animals? I know the place's they live in are harder to get equipment too and tougher soil but a good throw and grow product might just be the ticket. They two can use the minerals for bigger racks.
What are your thoughts
I do not know much about them, but like growalot I would assume that companies do not see a lot of profit in doing it.  Still a throw and grow type of product might help on Elk. Seems to me that I've heard that moose eat a lot of water plants
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:32:10 AM »
Just wonder what are the restrictions on elk and moose feeding, i.e. food plots within the states that have them?
Also, most areas that have them have drawings to hunt them, so why invest in food plots?
Above is just me thinking out loud.     

We have a small herd of elk in our mountains but no moose.

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline AaronS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • Prepper Community
  • 12 Point
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 02:02:26 PM »
If I had to guess I'd say it all comes down to money, and that seed companies don't think they'd sell enough for it to be profitable.  Whitetail hunters make up the largest hunting group and largest hunting spending group there is, which is why there are so many products geared toward deer/deer hunters.
If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
1 cross + 3 nails = 4given

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
QDMA Member

www.santapawspetpark.com

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 08:13:02 PM »
knowing how much a deer can eat, you would need a huge plot to feed those critters. they would plain wipe out an acre in a day.

that and the market might be too small to make money
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline gbcimages

• Fawn
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 01:24:21 PM »
Where my property is located i have deer elk moose and bear. i'm going to experiment on some small food plots. I'll try that sample pack that WTI offers first.It's legal to use attractants for them. my property is at 3200 ' elevation and borders State and timber co land.
Most farmers around here doesn't  grow the kind of food plots  that u all do. There is a lot of alfafa  fields here.
My piece of property is mostly timber acreage  so  i'm trying some small plots in the simi open areas.i'll use a small tiller for my plots. I  use attractants at the moment  that i make myself for hunting and feed. I had a bull elk on my camera and a bear a few days ago and of course deer.
At the moment where my property lies the temp is in the 50's and raining not to far off from snow
total different climate  here. So i half to know when to plant my plots. So i'm curious myself to see if they will grow.the soil is around 6.5 and well drained .

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »
Where my property is located i have deer elk moose and bear. i'm going to experiment on some small food plots. I'll try that sample pack that WTI offers first.It's legal to use attractants for them. my property is at 3200 ' elevation and borders State and timber co land.
Most farmers around here doesn't  grow the kind of food plots  that u all do. There is a lot of alfafa  fields here.
My piece of property is mostly timber acreage  so  i'm trying some small plots in the simi open areas.i'll use a small tiller for my plots. I  use attractants at the moment  that i make myself for hunting and feed. I had a bull elk on my camera and a bear a few days ago and of course deer.
At the moment where my property lies the temp is in the 50's and raining not to far off from snow
total different climate  here. So i half to know when to plant my plots. So i'm curious myself to see if they will grow.the soil is around 6.5 and well drained .

every pack of WTI seed has planting dates for your area. my guess is you are past your planting dates. check to make sure you aren't past your dates.

also, w/ those big animals, they may wipe out small plots pretty fast. the good news is you have big hay fields to support most of the pressure. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline gbcimages

• Fawn
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 04:33:52 PM »
Here i don't think we have the animal density as some other states so i'm hoping when i plant them that they will last.
Last year in some areas we had a bigger winter kill up to 50%.

New Page 3

Google Ad