New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: I have a wild ....  (Read 526 times)

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
I have a wild ....
« on: May 16, 2013, 06:10:41 AM »
Apple tree that produces every year...that is so unusual around here...and It has some buddies coming along as well....When we first bought this place I found wild apples scattered all over....so I started cutting the maples away from them...to give them more light...and there were several mature trees in the hedge rows....they all dropped early and had good little red apples on them...and one day I noticed a whip coming along and the following year Flowers!...one apple, then a year later it just grew crazy fast and had more apples...... yellow medium sized ones...that held on through Oct... @--0--0118....Last year the tree was loaded and this year it is just filled with blossoms....Thirty feet away there is a 3yr old tree.....5ft tall and it is loaded with blossoms.
I found some whips near it that I will dig and trans plant....I have fun finding new trees on the place....I found some red current whips that were whips for years...then I trans planted them....I now have 4 1/2 ft x 4ft current bushes
Do any of you do this and what neat things have you discovered? 

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
Re: I have a wild ....
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 06:47:36 AM »
we have a couple of wild apples that produce nice red apples most years, they are in blossom now.  we got lots of thorn apples that produce hard little red apples every year, the grouse seem to like them, but I could do without the thorn apples
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 07:02:46 AM »
Our land was an old homestead.  Covered with crabapple trees, they look like small green apples.  Wild blackberries, dewberries and muscadine grape vines.  Alone with just about every kind of oak tree native to our area, different holly trees/bushes.  I cleared the undergrowth, started food plots and have planted fig, chestnut, hazelnut, plum, along with a Jujube tree (also known as the Chinese date).  Wish I did not have so many gum ball trees also!!!

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 08:00:53 AM »
That is the one thing I wish I had PJ....different oaks...I can't get a wht oak to grow on our place...this entire side of the valley has lots of reds...we have over 200 on our place...and the other side of the valley has both reds and whts......Funny how a few miles can change a land scape...we also have nearly every kind of native berry you can think of growing here and the goose berries have taken off like wild fire in the last few years....

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 08:53:42 AM »
Our land was an old homestead.  Covered with crabapple trees, they look like small green apples.  Wild blackberries, dewberries and muscadine grape vines.  Alone with just about every kind of oak tree native to our area, different holly trees/bushes.  I cleared the undergrowth, started food plots and have planted fig, chestnut, hazelnut, plum, along with a Jujube tree (also known as the Chinese date).  Wish I did not have so many gum ball trees also!!!

PJ

so that is where the gum balls come from that they sell at the store.   if I plant one will a gum ball tree come from it    ##$%#1119
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:06:01 AM »

PJ

so that is where the gum balls come from that they sell at the store.   if I plant one will a gum ball tree come from it    ##$%#1119

You do not want this gum ball!!!!     :P

The tree is nice, it is the fruit we hate!!!      @--0--0122

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 07:20:14 PM »
that's what i have had great luck w/. i can't grow a bought tree.

put them in a 6' tree tube and they will be sticking out the top in 1 year. it's amazing
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline heflinsi

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • 2015 Buck
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 09:02:08 PM »
I have all kind of oaks, wild plum, blackberry, locust and wild cherry. lots of mucadines and persimmon.  I usually buy all of the fruit trees from walmart at the end of the season when they are marked down on clearance.  I have gotten them as cheap as $1.50 but usually its around $6.00 per tree for 6-7 foot trees.
Gysgt USMC Retired

New Page 3

Google Ad