New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Here is how it went down...  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
Here is how it went down...
« on: April 16, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »
Bugfixer, WV and I leased a 312 acre farm in Kentucky this past January. We knew it had deer on it but was unsure about the turkeys. The landowner told us he saw a lot of turkeys but we hadn't seen any turkeys or even sign of them while there in Jan & Feb. We leased this because of the great deer potential but some turkeys would be nice.

Skip ahead to turkey season...

Thursday Night (2 days before season opener):
We arrive at our camphouse that is on the edge of our hunting property. We unpack, cook some supper and relax and catch up. Off to bed by 10 PM so we can get up early and scout for turkeys. We have no idea if there are even any turkeys here so we are a little worried we may have driven here for nothing.
PS... we haven't moved our beds there yet so we are sleeping on cots. Bugfixer forgot his pillow and sleeping bag and we ragged him quite a lot about it..  silly bugfixer...

Friday morning (1 day before season opener):
Bug gets up all bright and chipper as me and WV slowly stumble out of bed. He goes and stands on the steps out our back door and hits an owl call. Gobbles light up the morning stillness. OMG!!!  There are birds everywhere!!! We can hear at least 6 to 8 birds right out the back door!!  What a relief! We were worried there were no turkeys and they were everywhere! We decided to leave them alone. Now that we knew they were there, no reason to go disturb them. We spent the morning checking some trail cams and eating breakfast.

Friday evening:
We left the camphouse to go roost around 6 PM. We walked about 100 yards and spotted 3 or 4 gobblers in a cut corn field strutting. Bug and WV stayed there to watch them and I went to a different spot to roost. Other than a VERY close encounter with a skunk, my evening was uneventful. Bug and WV watched those birds all the way to roost.

Saturday morning:
We setup on the little cut corn field. Bug and I on one side and WV on the other. The birds pitched in about 100 yards from us and went the other way. Nothing we did would stop them. 4 big gobblers. They were joined by a fifth before they eased off property into the CRP field next to us. We had some more gobblers cutting up behind us so bug and I took off after them. Long story short... we had 6 other gobblers in a big cut corn field with no way to get to them or cut them off. We played cat and mouse with them for several hours and then returned to camp for some breakfast.

Saturday evening:
Bug and I went back to the little field to setup where they had roosted the night before. WV went to a lower field by the CRP to roost. We sat down around 4:15 pm and at around 4:30 we had a tom and a few hens enter the field. They moved to the exact opposite side of the field from us, maybe 450 yards away. We decided to just sit it out and see what they would do. More hens were steadily coming and we even saw a hen fan out her tail. I have never seen that before. It looked like she did it to clean it. As we watched that show with our binoculars, we heard a gobble from behind us. shortly after, a huge gobbler and his 2 gobbler minions (we call him boss hog) entered the field and was making a beeline for that first gobbler. As soon as the first bird (lets call him lilman) saw the other gobblers, he started easing away. He had gathered up about 6 or 8 hens but he didn't really care about them anymore. Meanwhile, several more gobblers had shown up and were keeping their distance to watch the show. Boss hog and his boys ran lilman slap out of the field and into the woods. Meanwhile the other gobblers made their way in, keeping an eye on boss hog. lilman eased back out of the woods on the other side of the hens and kept his distance. Now, we have 9 gobblers in the field. All strutting and putting on a show. A couple of them start acting aggressive towards each other and start to fight. Boss hog will have none of that and runs over and whups up on both of them. One of them gets knocked down and they all jump on him. I have never seen anything like that in my life. If was like WWF for turkeys! During all of this, a squirrel sneaks up on us from the top of the dirt bank we are leaning against and barks at us from 6 inches behind our heads. We almost had double heart attacks!

Eventually, they all calmed down and just when we were beginning to think they would roost on that side of the field they started working towards us. This is now around 7:10 or so. We have been watching this show for almost 3 hours! They quickly made their way right to us and then a hen exploded out of the tall grass in the corn field and flew right over our head to roost 20 feet behind us. We were in the right spot but she started flying way out of our range. Now we are thinking this may all be for naught as they may all do that. However not all of the birds were ready to do that. One gobbler got a little too close and I shot him in the face. He jumped and started to stagger off but a second shot slammed him down. When he started flopping, the other gobblers started heading his way. Another one got too close and bug shot him in the face sending him to flopping. We had just doubled! First time for us. boss hog and his 2 minions had stayed back through it all and decided to go the other way. So, to sum it up, we had a heck of a show with 9 gobblers and probably 10 hens, saw a huge gobbler fight, saw a hen show off her fan, had a squirrel nearly make us pee our pants and then ended the afternoon with a double kill. Both our birds had over 11" beards and they weren't even the biggest. In fact, my bird had several feathers in his fan broken so I think he was one of the ones that got his tail whupped. We high fived, gathered up our stuff and birds and started the long walk back to camp in a VERY good mood.

Sunday morning:
We went back after them again and while we did get on some birds, couldn't close the deal. As we were packing up to go home, we saw a gobbler 200 yards from camp heading across a pasture... we decided to save him for the next trip...

During all of our turkey adventures, we saw a ton of deer and deer sign. the future is looking bright at our new Kentucky lease...

BTW... we do have one membership available. If anyone is interested, let me know. We plan on going back to get some more thunder chickens before the season is over.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:14:47 AM by Hunt Master »
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:02:40 AM »
Nice story and account of the weekend.  Sounds like an amazing experience.  And it appears y'all have landed on a jewel of a lease.  Congrats on the double boys!  Job well done!
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
Re: Here is how it went down...
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 10:25:24 AM »
Great Story and Way to go!!!     ##$%#11

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline bugfixer

• Administrator
  • 12 Point
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 11:02:53 AM »
It was am awesome turkey hunt and a great weekend with friends, even though I forgot my sleeping bag and got made fun of.  I did go out and buy a sleeping bag and pillow and left it there...problem solved. Thanks to WV who kept us fed with fresh yard eggs and bacon for breakfast. I am looking forward to heading back up real soon to fill my other tag.

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 12:06:57 PM »
Glad ur new lease is so great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 12:43:41 PM »
Great story and better birds...you boys are going to be hard to beat...lol...Congrats!!

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »
Sounds like everyone had a great time!! Congrats!!
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline BeaglePup

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
That sounds like a GREAT weekend guys.  I would have loved to see the two of you jump to heaven when the squirrel nailed you.....I hate a Tree Rat.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline JALA RUT

• Sept. 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Definitely sounds like a turkey Honey Hole!
2014/15 Deer Hunting Championship Team#18; Buck Dynasty
Hunt Safe, Hunt Hard, Hunt Ethically and Have Fun!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 07:45:52 PM »
Congrats guys on an awesome weekend of hunting, those doubles are always SWEET!!! Sounds like a great place to hunt both deer and turkey! Good luck the rest of the season.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 08:22:37 PM »
That's the best hunting camp story I have ever heard!  Sounds like you guys have a terrific place to hunt.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline AaronS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • Prepper Community
  • 12 Point
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 09:43:10 PM »
Sounds like a great time!
If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
1 cross + 3 nails = 4given

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
QDMA Member

www.santapawspetpark.com

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 11:05:35 AM »
Yes It Was A Great Time. Had A Blast. Look Forward To The Next Trip. I am sure we will find something else to tease Bug on. We won't even mention the 3 hrs sleep total  I got all 3 nights do to "Someone's" SNORING.  @--0--0127

Congrats To You Both On Great Birds.

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 01:16:59 PM »
why does wv seem to be the only one that doesn't get anything when you three get together      ##$%#1119   
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline yari

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 05:19:33 PM »
time spent w/ good friends is priceless. good story
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER