talkhuntin.com
Thank you for visiting the TalkHunting Community. We encourage you to register and jump right in. Since membership is free, what do you have to lose? This is a place to learn, have fun, share your experiences and express ideas. As a member, you can add your own comments and topics, participate in the promotions and really enjoy all that TalkHunting has to offer.

Don
Bass Pro Shops

Author Topic: Leupold VX-6 Review  (Read 2132 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • 10 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Leupold VX-6 Review
« on: April 12, 2013, 09:21:26 PM »
After installing a Meopta Artimus 1.5-6X on the Kimber 8400 using factory picatinny rail and Leupold Mark 4 Rings and shooting two very good groups at 100 yards decided to upgrade the scope on the rifle. You can tell by the groups that this is capable of shooting 1/2 MOA out to 300 yards.

The new scope is a Leupold VX6 2-12X, 30mm tube, 42mm Obj, Fire Dot and BDC reticule. (see attached photo). Cannot tell you how good a scope this is. Sure it is expensive but the Kimber 8400 isn't cheap either. All in all it is a good set up. The Leupold VX6 is a good as any of the Zeiss or Swarovskis that I own. You can tell Leupold put a lot of thought into the design of this scope.

The last three weeks have shot similar groups as the attached target shows a nice 5 (4 shots in the small group)shot group at 100 yards. The Kimber has 12 twist and really likes the 155 gn Bergers. Next couple of weeks will try it out at 200 yards. The Leupold lowest power 2X will work out great hunting those thickets and the upper power 12X will be good for those longer shots out to 300 yards....will let you guys know how this setup works out.....

The Meopta Artimus 1.5-6X ended up on the Savage 20" short heavy barrel in 308 that ended up back at my house after the guy who I sold it to could not get it to group. The Savage was at the range this past week and shot about a 3/4" group....

Everybody (Kimber has a new VX6, Savage is back home and has a Meopta on it) so is happy and the family maybe is complete...naaa, always need one more...hahaha.... 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:25:16 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
Butts County Sportsman Asso Member
53+ Years in the woods
19 yrs of Western Elk/Muley Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
Re: Leupold VX-6 Review
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »
Thanks for the review Bo, Appreciated as always.

Offline BoBallistic

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • 10 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:25:07 PM »
WVWhitetail - The review was intended for Leupold VX6, but I must say that this combination of scope, rifle, base, rings, cant level seems to be the right one. The Leupold has enough low power at 2X for the real close in shots like we have down here in the South, but the Kimber 8400 Tactical is so accurate, then I can use the top end power at 12X for those 300 yards shots.

I have always said that you can have a expensive rifle and a cheap scope (and mounts) and you are not seeing the capabilities of the rifle. I first had a Meopta 1.5-6X on it for a couple of week and shot some very good groups with it right out of the box, but after thinking about it long and hard, this rifle deserved a better and more powerful scope. Believe me, there is nothing wrong with the Meopta, it is one incredible scope!!

But as the old saying goes, even a blind hog can find a acorn every once in a while. I think this is the right set up...

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a cheap set up, I have about $2500 in it with the rifle, Leupold scope and Mark 4 rings.......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
53+ Years in the woods

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• Prize Team
  • TH Staff - Team Leader
  • 12 Point
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 05:43:26 AM »
Dear Brother BO... From the range bench pic I can see you advocate larger shooting surfaces. You know gear room! ;D Like me you bring everything but the kitchen sink and the bench really shrinks.

Nice work on the set ups both are tack drivers. Course I knew the Savage would be.  @--0--0121 Them Kimbers can be finicky.  @--0--0137 Of course you know I'm just yankin' your chain, making the big dog mad.

I guess the knee is comin' along fine what with the range work proceeding now. Glad to hear it!  @--0--0123 Carry on!  --09--0

PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE!  @--0--0102 TEE! HEE! I got ya!
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • 10 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 09:00:02 AM »
Dutch - Thanks for the comments, yes I looked even at the kitchen sink and see how I can use it! hahaha....

Funny thing. The Savage is the pickey rifle and the Kimber has been a tack driver ever since the first 155 gn down it!!! (the Kimber doesn't like the 168 gn SMK at all!!!). Even through the old Savage has a 10 twist in it I think I will focus this summer on the 150 and 155 gn pills! The last group I shot with the Savage using the same 155 gn Berger as in the Kimber, it show 3/4" 3 shot group! As we have discussed many times, each rifle has its own personality and so does the Savage...it shoots the 165/168 pills pretty good almost as good as 150 to 155....I have this rifle for many years and this was the rifle I miss my first big buck about 7 years ago....and then went back to camp and put a shot in dead center in a target 90 yards away...it just wasn't meant to be because a year later on the last day of deer season, a guy hunting out of the same stand nail him...I guess he was meant to go on his wall...hahaha....

So this year I will focus on the 150 to 155 gn for the Savage...so far so good!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
53+ Years in the woods

Offline BoBallistic

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • 10 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 10:02:56 AM »
Was impressed with the VX6 so much that order another one as a back up...just kidding, but did ordered another one just like the review was about this past Friday. Order some Ken Farrell 30mm rings (high) and picatinny 20 MOA one piece base this past Saturday....

Order a new custom Cooper rifle last week. Will be here for 2014 season (wonder if I will be here then, hahaha). What I ordered was a Cooper Model 54 (Phoenix type barrel) cut to 20", will have 12 RH twist in the barrel and will try to shoot 150 to 155 gn pills. Fiberglass stock. It will take 6 to 8 months to get here (I'm figuring about 9 months). Wilson in Connecticut makes Cooper barrels so once the barrel is made and shipped to Montana, Cooper will take their standard 54 action and start assembling it....

The National Sales manager said that Cooper has never made a 20" barrel before, had a few inquries and only a few request for 12 twist comes in for 308's, most are 10" twist and is a Cooper standard twist rate. It will be a true one of a kind.   

When it comes in (spring 2014) , I will take some photos of it after I install the Leupold VX6 on it. Will take some pictures at the range.

The Leupold VX6 was the right scope to go on the Kimber 8400 Tactical and I feel like the VX6 will be the right scope to go one the Custom Cooper. If this new Cooper like my other Coopers, I won't regret my choice of scope!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
53+ Years in the woods

Offline BoBallistic

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • 10 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 09:19:43 PM »
Dutch - Talk about bench space and how it shrinks, you are so right. I once got involved with a small range and took the money man over to were I shoot. We all need a another table to put our "junk" on....The guy thought it was a good idea but would not go along with it due to the "additional" cost. yea right....but on more than one occasion, I have mention to the rangemaster about putting extra tables back of the benches....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
53+ Years in the woods

New Page 3

Fall Hunting Classic Online at Basspro.com