New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Dutch Hunter's NZ Adventure Day 11  (Read 750 times)

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Dutch Hunter's NZ Adventure Day 11
« on: April 05, 2013, 06:57:18 PM »
Homesick? Well maybe for just a moment  @--0--0128

NZ Journal Day 11:

WHOA! I overslept today got up at 6:30. Not the last one out of bed but close. Cassy smartly said ďMorning sleepy! What some of my coffee?Ē YUP! Please!

Well I considered my options for the day and decided to take the rest of the morning and go on a camera safari. I have only included a sampling of pics, Gut ainít gettiní paid for doing this so I donít want to wear out my welcome or overwork him. Iíll get a hold of bug to see if it is possible to post slide shows after I get home.

Todayís pictures: While walking around a hilltop I spooked a small group of Sikaís. Theyíre about the same size as a Whitetail maybe a little larger on average. They are just as quick as Whitetails. The picture of them was at 800 meters. I had the Creedmoor slung on my back but never considered pulling it down. Too far and too fast! As long as I stay on Chazís property I can sling a gun. If you go anywhere else it must be cased.

COWS! I just had to take a picture of these cows grazing on a neighboring farm. There were some Jerseyís which is what I had. I just watched them for a long while sitting on the quad. It was the first time I got a little home sick. This trip has been great but of course itíll be really great to get back home too.

The snowcapped hills are just beyond where I got my bull. We were setting about 2/3s the way up to the snowline. There was more snow up there today than yesterday. The valley floor at the base of these hills is where Bill got his. I took the same quad route that we used to get his. The sun had already gone over the hills and that is why it got dark so early. The safari camp was up on top of a hill to the right. There is plenty of really pretty and rugged country here.

Headed back to camp for lunch then just poked around. I went to the skinning shack and found Chaz hard at work scalpel skinning Billís Stag skull. He had scored my Wapiti at 348, not bad at all. He has not officially scored either stag yet but estimates Billís will be 360 and mine around 470. I asked him to explain the Safari Club Internationals scoring method. He gave me a scoring sheet and told me to read it while he finished the skull. From what I was able to determine the biggest factor for mine scoring fairly high is the circumference and length of the beams and the extra seven points. The stag I got had nineteen points and Billís had twelve. I decided to leave the master to his craft and returned to the chalet.

Found a comfy spot put my feet up and passed out until Drew woke me up for the supper barby. The stag loins are in my opinion exactly the same as elk, sweet and lean. Since the roar is going on they had a very strong game flavor, to be expected.

Day 11 was a welcomed restful day for Bill and me. We were both coming down from yesterdayís adrenaline rush. Ron, Ed and Drew spent most of days 9 & 10 resting and playing cards. They did go to the range once, to keep me happy. They are good boys. Iíll have to get up before Cassy comes tomorrow, her coffee is just a bit weak for me, donít tell her. PLEASE! I figured it would be. When she tried mine she made a horrible face and the word ďmudĒ rolled from her lips. Bill is used to my coffee and the others water it down or use extra cream and sugar. Maybe thatís why my hair fell out!

The plan for tomorrow morning, is clean, oil and pack most of the guns. Iíll keep the Catbird, Spin Doc and 7mm ready for action. Iíll hopefully be able to take another camera safari in the afternoon. Saturday morning may be the last hunt, in the afternoon weíll be packing everything up to come home.  Chaz is taking Drew to the plane early Saturday so he can get it prepped and ready for Sundayís trip home. Plus Drew will intentionally miss the liver-n-onions supper Iím cooking. I invited Chaz and his crew to join us including Cassy. She didnít seem too keen on the idea but is going to give it a go. Iím going to make candied yams and cauliflower on the side, for desert Granmaís pound cake warmed with ice cream on top. Iíll show Ďem, yanks can cook too.

Hereís something funny; coming back, weíre leaving on Sunday and will arrive on Saturday. The only time Iíll get a redo day, at least a few hours of it. Iíll post the Journals for the last three days after I get home unless something of significance happens then Iíll send it to Gut. It sure will be nice to get away from this communication muzzle. I can stop being a guest and back to Dutch-Hunter.

Thanks for all of your nice words on the boards. I have had a glorious time and built memories that will last until I tickle the daisy roots. Iíll be back on the boards soon. Idea: Could we maybe do a NZ speed chat?  I could answer questions and/or explain things that maybe werenít very clear in the journal? Just a thought, Iíll be posting more stuff about the trip at least until yawl get tired of hearing about it. Ed and I are still working on the video footage I hope they turn out. If nothing else weíve been able to figure out how to pull stills off of them to make slide shows.

You all be safe.

Yari, can you please get rid of the snow there before I get back? Turkey season ya know and I donít want to sit in the white stuff.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline BeaglePup

Re: Dutch Hunter's NZ Adventure Day 11
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:05:33 PM »
Safe trip home sounds like it has been a trip to remember.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline Possum

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:05:53 PM »
Jealous DH I am Jealous
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 09:36:39 PM »
i will need to read on. i missed a couple posts. are you heading home? will read on
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 01:37:45 PM »
Glad you have had a trip to remember Dutch!! @--0--0130
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 03:16:21 PM »
sounds like a great trip, have a safe trip home
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 08:07:02 PM »
You guys have a safe trip home Dutch...
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Dutch Hunter's NZ Adventure Day 11
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 10:44:47 PM »
Yes be safe. And I'm very much looking forward to hearing more about it Dutch.  I think we all appreciate you taking the time to journal your trip and bring us along. It truly sounds like a trip of a lifetime.  And wow what amazing trophies! Congrats to you and Bill for success!
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 11:00:27 AM »
Safe Travels Dutch. Look forward to more pictures and stories when you return.

New Page 3

Google Ad