New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Dutch Hunter's NZ Adventure Day 8  (Read 776 times)

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Dutch Hunter's NZ Adventure Day 8
« on: April 02, 2013, 07:49:15 PM »
It appears there was another awesome day in NZ

NZ Journal Day 8: Monday April 1; Bill and I both had a good day.

As per norm… I was having my third cup of coffee and doing this journal entry. Then Bill strolled out to the deck with his first. Listening to those bulls roar in the distance sure is a great way to start the day. I decided I was going to put in a little more range time today even if by myself. A bad day shooting paper sure beats a day of thinking about it. Going to practice kneeling shots in hopes I’ll get the opportunity to use it on a stag starting tomorrow. I ordered omelets for breakfast and Cassy brought them out to me when they were done. Now that, I could get used to. Ron was a little under the weather today and took the day to rest.

I headed for the range at 8:30 and was enjoying the “Dutch” time when Chaz arrived on his quad bike. Asking if he could join the party… No worries. I never give advice about someone’s shooting unless asked and inevitably I’m asked, Chaz says he always has trouble with offhand shots. I watched his technique and made some suggestions about bone on bone support, breathing and slow trigger pull and his groups got better. Soon Clay pulls up and was wondering what all the shooting was about. He was glad to get some tips too.

Near lunch time; Chaz asked if I can eat on the fly ‘cause he knows where “Waps” (Short for Wapiti or Elk) graze in late afternoon, if we get there and set up we stand a good chance of getting one. After a rough quad bike ride of about 3 miles we parked them and walked into a sparsely wooded meadow at the base of a large hill (I’m sorry I just can’t call them mountains, by Rocky standards more like foothills). We heard some bugling on the walk in, Chaz had me set up on a deadfall and did some bugling, he got a fast response. It seemed to take an hour for this guy to finally come into view. The first time we laid eyes on him was at 350 meters. Chaz gave me thumbs up to go when ready. The bull seemed to be in no particular hurry so I just waited and watched, at 275 meters he gave me an opening to my favorite spot and down he went. Dutch is very happy!  :) Chaz said he’d officially score him after he was skinned, he guessed the “head timber” will SCI score around 350. Clay posed him for the picture; he and the range truck were summoned to haul it back to camp, too much load for a quad bike. My trip was worth it already. I used my Savage 7mm Rem Mag to harvest this fella.

While I was having my fun Bomber had taken Bill and Drew to a spot where he thought there would be some “grunters” (boars). Sure enough Bill was able to bag a really nice 200 pounder at 100 meters with the Catbird. Nice shot Mr. Bill took both lungs and heart. I wonder if I’ll ever get the Catbird out of his hands. I’ll bet he’s going to want to use it for stag.  :) Just kidding we’re both using the 300 Weatherby’s. In the picture Bomber is backpacking it out to the quad. Can you see the rock Bomber stuck in its mouth for effect? He sure has a nice set of tusks, the boar not Bomber. Mr. Bill is very happy too!  @--0--0123

Well at least I had highlights to report. YEAH BABY! Tomorrow we’re starting on the Red Stags.
Well I’m adrenaline drained and will be turning in shortly after supper tonight; with visions of Reds dancing in my head. No cigars or brandy needed. Well I did have a cigar with Bill before supper. We congratulated each other and relaxed.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
Re: Dutch Hunter's NZ Adventure Day 8
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:20:56 PM »
sounds like another great day congrats to both lucky hunters
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:55:09 PM by Zos41 »
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 04:26:38 AM »
Sounds like you boys are having a really fun trip...congrats on the harvest!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BeaglePup

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 05:40:58 AM »
You are having so much fun you might give up Colorado to move WAY DOWN SOUTH?!?
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline bcotton

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:04:39 AM »
Awesome, what a great adventure!!!
BC

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 12:25:44 PM »
Great Job. Sounds like a very productive day. Congrats to you both.

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 03:17:34 PM »
Another fun filled day. I hope to see red stag pic's tomorrow.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 03:21:40 PM »
Now the practice is over!! On to the real deal!!! Good luck Dutch!! --09--0
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 06:51:08 PM »
looks like the elk are a little non-typical on top too, like the stags?  very nice
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad