New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Dutch Hunter's NZ Adventure Day 2  (Read 872 times)

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Dutch Hunter's NZ Adventure Day 2
« on: March 27, 2013, 08:11:44 PM »
Here is Dutch Hunters Adventure for day 2 as I received it this evening.

NZ Journal Day 2:

Tuesday 3/26: Events of the day; breakfast was eggs, bacon and pancakes very tasty. During the meal I begged off of going shopping so I could start getting the guns ready. Bill said if I didn’t start touching the guns soon there would be no living with me and agreed to leave me behind. Ed expressed an interest in helping me and wished to stay here too. By noon we had the wallaby weapons all cleaned and ready to go. He was a good help, he’s like a kid brother even though we just met yesterday. Chaz the station owner dropped by around 2:30 to check on our “comfying” in. I asked him if I could use the range today. The range is open from 8:00 AM until dusk for all guests, so guess where I went. I took one travault  packed the Catbird, Yote Getter, Cooper Creedmoor, Sako and Brain Surgeon. I grabbed the Spin Doc, ammo box, targets and laptop loaded up the “quad-bikes” and headed off to the range. The range is a pretty nice setup; four permanent shooting benches with sand bags and duct tape stored in the seats, target stations are set at every 100 meters with a maximum range of 1000. The targets are3 feet square plywood mounted between two 4X4 poles and have two wind ribbons on top. Temp was 68*, humidity 85%, 28.85 pressure and wind calm, so near perfect conditions. The elevation of the range is 850 feet, with a gentle down grade at about 5%. You shoot from west to east so the sun was behind us and a nonfactor. I started with the Spin Doc I used a sand bag under the stock and his bipods out front. The first shot was ¼” high right from black (½” bull) the next three all cut black. Ed wanted to shoot the Doc so we changed targets and he put 4 just outside black. To make a long story short all the guns we took out are now ready for action. Ed really was impressed with the Sako and did the best with it putting 2 of 4 in black and the other two just touching at 200. I stretched the Catbird and Spin Doc out to 800 meters and I’m very pleased with the results, both grouped right at an inch all near or touching black. Those wallaby’s had better keep their heads down. We packed up and headed back to the chalet for a nice relaxing supper and more stag videos, stories and jokes.

The shoppers had returned and were resting from their grueling excursion. Bill picked up a box of fine cigars so after supper we headed to the deck to stink up the place, while sipping some brandy. He took the picture of the camp on the way back. The road runs along a 1400 foot ridge then you drop down into the camp valley. Our chalet is the one at the right end of the complex. We have three double queen bedrooms. Bill and I share one, Ed and Drew share one and Ron is alonein the other. The rifle range is about ¼ mile to the right down the road at the top of the picture.

Tomorrow it’s time for the wallaby training to begin, all hands on deck and I become range boss. Bill is using the Catbird, Drew the Yote Getter and Ed wants the Sako. Ron is going to use his service rifle even though I offered the Creedmoor or Brain Surgeon; we’ll see how he does, I’m taking them along anyway. On the hunt Bill suggested we hunt as a group and I shoot cleanup for everyone after I take the first one. He said just let him (me) do his magic, watch, listen and learn. He doesn’t miss. Chaz told us the station owner where we are going for wallaby’s pays a fifty dollar bounty per head harvested. He is apparently as overrun with them like I am with yotes back home. We don’t want his money we just want to shoot, help him out and enjoy the experience.
Well that’s about it for today, after I send this off to Gut I’m turning in.

I still can’t believe this is actually happening. Oh I have gotten a grip on the time differential, back home time is 18 hours behind so when it is today here it’s probably yesterday there. I THINK!
I hope everyone is doing fine and I can’t wait to log back in and not just visit as a guest. I see there are a couple of new Gun Geek questions on the boards and I can’t help!

Thanks again for your help Gut, job well done sir.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Dutch Hunter's NZ Adventure Day 2
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 09:59:22 PM »
Stackem up Dutch!
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline BeaglePup

Re: Dutch Hunter's NZ Adventure Day 2
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 05:04:44 AM »
Take 'em down Dutch
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 06:13:18 AM »
Go get them DH
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 08:07:14 AM »
Go get um Dutch. It sounds like your having a lot of fun.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 09:42:25 AM »
Place looks Awesome in it self. Good Luck to all.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »
is the place built on stilts? looks like they raised it to see over the trees. great idea
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 03:33:52 PM »
Good luck Dutch!!