New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Scent Lok or Scent Blocker? Does it really matter?  (Read 1919 times)

Offline rugerred

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Take a kid hunting and you take one off the street
Re: Scent Lok or Scent Blocker? Does it really matter?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 07:05:27 PM »
fl, I spray everything but my scope.  Bow, quiver and rifle never a prob.  Leaves spots on my glasses though.  It will leave a light white residue on the equip but it wipes off.  I prefer the earth scent (scent killer)
Hoyt Katera
Hoyt Power Tech
Ruger Red Label
Big Black Labs

Offline Chipper

• 6 Point
  • Atchafalaya Basin Swamp-St Martinville, LA
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 12:13:41 PM »
I've tried the carbon suits, and I believe like everything else, they help somewhat.  But I'm not certain
to what degree.  I read about a study in Colorado where they put out 50 guys in plain clothes, and used a tracking dog to find them-the dog found all 50 within an average time of less than 5 minutes
each.  Then they put out 50 guys in military carbon suits(which contain several times more carbon than hunting clothing), and the dog found 49 out of 50(the study mentioned that the dog became ill and quit on the 1 it didn't find) in a similar time period.  The study concluded that while the carbon
suits may help, they do not completely eliminate all scent, and a dog's sense of smell is so acute, that
they can still smell the human odor.(Think about it, a dog can smell your left footprint, then your right footprint, and based upon the split second difference in when these tracks were laid down, they can tell which direction you are walking).

I know a deer's nose is at least as good as a dog's.  I believe that carbon suits, scent neutralizer sprays, chlorophyl tablets, etc, etc all reduce human odor as much as possible.  But I believe the animals can still smell us, even if the odor is fainter.  And maybe they are not alarmed since they think that we are not as close by as we may actually be.   Climbing high and using the wind properly also help.  But I don't believe we can ever completely eliminate our human scent, only minimize it to the point that it does not alarm the deer(keep in mind that there are probably always traces of human scent drifting thru the woods, from passers by, hunting camps, hikers, highways, etc).
So try not to belch, burp, break wind, dig in your ear or nose, cough, sneeze, sweat or walk near anybody who has, and you should be o. k.(ha ha) 
"That's "just" my game"

Offline cookin

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 03:46:21 PM »
Chipper I have to agree with you.Maybe the deer smell you, but because of a suit or spray, the sent is at such a low level that you may not pose a threat.
Youth Challenge Mentor
QDMA member
Certified Diver
North American Hunter  Life Member
Hunting 29 years

Offline flbuckhunter

• 2008 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 03:51:37 PM »
I find that very interesting Chipper. I have wondered if there had been any studies conducted on some of this stuff and what the true results are. I know one of them advertises that it kills 99% of human odor. I've just always wondered how accuate that statement is.
Hunting, I am not obsessed I am possessed.
South Florida Field Representative National Rifle Association
Endowment Life Member NRA
Lifetime Florida Sportsman's License Holder
Co-Chairman Sarabay Chapter Friends of the NRA
QDMA Member

Offline chiefbigbear

• Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 07:21:45 PM »
A agree with most of you. But I will have to say a lot of what HM says is sooooooo true :'(
I HAVE A SMALL RANCH IN EDWARDS COUNTY CLOSE TO ROCKSPRINGS,TEXAS.
I AM INTERESTED IN DISCUSING HUNTING ISSUES WITH OTHER HUNTERS IN THAT GENERAL AREA.

Offline cookin

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 08:14:55 PM »
99% of REPLICATED human odor!
Youth Challenge Mentor
QDMA member
Certified Diver
North American Hunter  Life Member
Hunting 29 years

Offline Whitetail54

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • All it Takes is a Tree Stand and a Dream !!
    • Raleigh, NC  Area Homes
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 12:26:34 PM »
I just purchased my first Scentlok under garments but only because they were on sale and what the heck...fit within this years budget.  I have been succesful so far with just taking a good shower before hand using the scent killing soaps and hair products.  I also spray myself down with a scent killer as well as my outer garments and especially boots.  I do like the Dead Downwind products.  The other key I agree with is being high enough in that tree.   
Hunting for more than 40 years now
Member of Team TURF ONE

If you are 50 or over and have not yet had a colonoscopy...DO IT!!!  It saved my life!!

Offline western KY hunter

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 02:04:28 PM »
i think if you spray down good with earth scent your ok thats my thinking
MIKE'S MAGIC  PRO STAFF
OWNER and HEAD GUIDE FOR RIVER OAK OUTFITTER'S
HUNTED FOR 33 YEARS
FOUNDER OF WKHTM

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 01:46:56 AM »
I have sent-lock and a lighter no outfit but really need to wear rubber boots that you spray down or anything you gain will be lost , and use the wind .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline rugerred

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Take a kid hunting and you take one off the street
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 09:04:29 PM »
hey sundowner we are practically neighbors.
Hoyt Katera
Hoyt Power Tech
Ruger Red Label
Big Black Labs

New Page 3

Google Ad