New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Lets tell a Turkey Story  (Read 834 times)

Offline BMCS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
Lets tell a Turkey Story
« on: March 06, 2013, 06:22:18 PM »
I'll Start with my first Turkey.  9 years ago I was stationed in South Texas. My Dad Called me on a Monday and asked if I would like to join him on a Turkey Hunt in Brady Texas the upcoming weekend. I had never Turkey Hunted so I said I would love to go. I immediately got in my truck and went to the Wally world and bought the Hunter Specialty Beginner pack. Lil Deuce Slate, Plastic PushBox Call, Crow Call and a DVD. I went home and commenced to driving my wife crazy. After a week of running these calls and watching my DVD, I was ready as I was gonna be. The weather in Brady Texas was 80 degrees when we (two veteran turkey hunters and my dad) showed up that Friday evening. I quickly bonded with the veterans and started asking for advice. These veterans had me so pumped up with stories I couldn't even sleep.
Saturday morning we wake up and find the temperature had dropped to 40, wind was blowing 40 mph and the rain felt like pea gravel hitting you in the face. We froze our tails off that morning and didn't see or hear anything. We went to town at lunchtime and bought every pair of sweat shirts and sweatpants they had at the Dollar general (yellow and pink were the main colors available).
Nothing happening again Saturday evening.
The only good thing about Saturday was eating at the Hard Eights Barbecue Joint in Brady Texas. Best food I had ever had at that time. I slept good that night.

Sunday we woke to the same cold weather and only 20 mph wind but no rain. When we arrived at the ranch, I went were no one else wanted to go, It was the longest walk to the other side of the property. I did this because I wanted to blow on my calls and not mess anyone up (The Veteran's) while doing so. Anyway I walk all the way to the fence and start walking down it periodically honking on that crow call (It sounded awful) and come up on a whole in the fence, I back away from the fence and curl up in some mesquite bushes trying to get warm. I pull out my little deuce slate and can't make it work, It was soaking wet from the day before and my hands were freezing from the cold. So out comes the Plastic green push box call. Yelp, Yelp, Yelp. Off in the distance I hear what I assume was a gobble. So I do it again Yelp, Yelp, Yelp. Another Gobble and allot closer. Then over my left shoulder I hear a raspy yelping, then he gobbles. Now I'm thinking one of them veteran's is about to come kill my turkey. I get my gun up just in time as he stepped threw the opening in the fence 20 yards away all puffed up, spitting and drumming at a hen that was about ten feet to my left that I did not even know was there. Until I shot and she jumped up like a big quail. Scared the you know what out of me.
One of the coolest things about the end of the hunt, was walking 200 yards across a blue bonnet meadow with that turkey slung across my back. Under the watchful eyes of of 2 veteran turkey hunters and my smiling dad. Oh and did I mention the veteran's killed one Jake between the two of them. My turkey had a 11 inch Beard, 1 1/8 spurs.

I have been Hooked on Turkeys ever since.
BMCM(SW/AW) Retired

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Lets tell a Turkey Story
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 07:33:29 PM »
Great story and some good memories with your dad. I've been hooked on those turkeys for almost 30 years.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BMCS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 09:14:10 PM »
I wish I would have started hunting them 30 years ago. But we didnt have the population back then in my neck of the woods and then I joined the Navy at 18.  That Texas hunt really lit a fire under me I have been hunting 5 to 6 states for the last 8 years.  Trying to make up for all those lost years.
BMCM(SW/AW) Retired

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 09:44:51 PM »
That was an awesome hunt, congrats to you. Sometimes the veterans need to be humbled  @--0--0123 Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Lets tell a Turkey Story
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 10:42:12 PM »
Great story!
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »
come on guys! lets hear some stories! Get those fingers typing...
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline BMCS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 07:16:30 AM »
Here's another to get everyone started.
So two years ago I went up with a buddy to hunt in Virginia. We were in the mountains where his mother owns some land and has a couple of nice cabins. We hunted that morning and did not here anything. So we headed up to the only store in the area to get breakfast. After breakfast we were standing by my truck and heard a turkey gobbling across the road, a couple of hundred yards away. My buddy starts putting on his vest, I said " what are you doing" he said, "Thats my uncles land, lets go." So we grabbed our gear and hauled tail into the woods. We got to within 100 yards of this turkey and set up just below the crest of a ridge. Now the turkey is just on the other side hammering. Well we sat and we sat. We called he would answer and sound like he was getting closer, we would get quiet and he would gobble and sound like he was going away. After this went on for about and hour. I decided to belly crawl over the ridge. I get to the top of the ridge and spot the turkey about a 100 yards away in the bottom, I cluck and purr he gobbles and blows up, I am freaking out. He walks away, spins then comes back, spins then goes the other way, spins then comes back. This goes on for about 15 minutes and I finally see it. The turkey is in a pen. Me and my buddy walk down to look at him, hes a stud with 12 inch beard and 1.5 inch spurs. Later on that evening we go to his uncles for supper and tell him the story. His 15 year old son's face turns ghostly white. He says. Please tell me you didn't tell anyone about my turkey. He said he found him all by his self as a chick and had raised him for over 4 years. He says he has to put him that far away from the house during the spring because he is so aggressive and drives them nuts,  but he dont want anyone to kill him as he is his pet and will come right up to a person.   
BMCM(SW/AW) Retired

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 07:23:43 AM »
great story BMCS, thank you
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline BMCS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 08:56:30 AM »
Come on guys, share something. I know I'm not the only one with some stories.  This will be my 9th year to hunt Turkeys and I have plenty of stories. 

Heres another one for you, a few years ago I was hunting a Gobbler in a field. The field was around 100 acres. The first morning I heard him on a creek bottom just below the field. I tried to get close but it was already getting light so I just eased up to the corner of the field and set up.
Fly down came 1,2,3,4,5,6, Hens lit 150 yards away from me and then big boy sailed in. I called to em a little he gobbled and strutted but they werent coming. I got a little aggressive and one of the hens showed interest, but they werent moving. I watched that Gobbler breed hens all morning (never heard that squealing hen noise ) , this went on all morning. I ended up calling two Jakes within 10 feet. I shut up and they went out into the field to harass big boy and his girls. Anyway I had to leave for an appointment.
The second day. He gobbled on the roost three times, but they were right on the edge of the field, I was as close as I could be. I heard something running around behind me, figured it was probably deer. It wasn't, stinking coyotes. Now the coyotes and I are waiting on the turkeys to fly down. Well they didnt fly down til 900 and they sailed all the way to the other side of the field I couldnt even see them without standing up. Well here comes the coyotes running in my direction boom! number 5's in your face, he did not like that and the other two headed in a different direction.
Day three no gobbling, he pitches to the middle of the field with his harem of girls and they continue the same events of day one.
Day four no gobbling, I set up where I was on day one. They pitch into the field a couple hundred yards away. I call he gobbles. I call he gobbles. I decide to try and tick the hens off and get real aggressive. I start cutting very aggressive, only to be cut off by one of the hens followed by him gobbling, this goes on a few minutes, and all the sudden one ot the hens starts running right towards me with everyone else in tow. In front of me was a depression in the field and when the turkeys hit it they disappeared for a few seconds and then popped back up 40 yards away. 1,2,3,4,5 Hens running right towards me I still have my gun pointed where they came out of the depression. Well big boy did not run as fast as the hens. He is trying to strut and run at the same time. It was actually pretty funny he looked like a big weeble wobble coming across that field. But hes coming, he dissapears into the depression, but does not pop back up as quick as them. I'm freaking out. The hens are now to my right ranging from 15 to 30 yards I still have the gun pointed where they came out of the depression. Well thats not where he came up he pops up 50 yards to the right, I try and swing the gun, hen sees me and goes to putting, he freezes with head up, Mossberg 835, barks three times as hens are flushing and hes trotting around the corner trying to get out of there. I am absolutely disgusted, I know I hit that turkey, I know he was probably to far (actual shot 58 yards, too far!!). Go to get more shells, dont have any, they are in the truck, brand new box, 1/2 mile away.
I know I hit the turkey and he was hurt. So I decide to leave my gun,vest,seat everything and go look for him.
I walk around the corner in the direction the turkey headed towards the creek. I enter the woods and immediately notice a brown ball next to a big tree. I start walking towards it and he lifts his head and looks at me, I turn and start walking to my right to put the tree in between me and him, when I get within 25 yards I pick up my pace and at 15 yards he steps from behind the tree as Im running straight at him with my hands and face looking down, he takes off half running, he literary is a foot away from my outstretched hands, next thing I know the creek comes out of no where, I jump he glides, I jumped over the turkey and land on top of him, his head is in between my legs, I grab his head as he is beating me to death with his wings, He also scratched the mess out of the back of my legs and tore my thin turkey pants. Great Bird, I'm really sorry it had to end the way it did. I went ahead and had him mounted. Even though I know I will never forget him.
BMCM(SW/AW) Retired

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »
I thought I did this already but must of not taken,

My story was I was hunting with my Dad in a state forest area which had old truck trails running thru it.  We would go down these trails and call every once in a while...well...I got an answer which was not 100 yards off the trail so Dad and I hurried got our gear and jumped into the woods just in time to set down before the Tom jumped down and was a coming.  I always called because my Dad and brother just didn't have the knack for it.  The Tom was coming hot and heavy and I could see him fanning and strutting all the way in.  It was a pretty site.  All of a sudden another truck came down the trail stopped by mine and a guy jumps out and starts calling and calling...Ole Tom knew it wasn't right and stuck hi head down and I quit talking too.  The guy then jumped back into his truck when he got no answer and when the truck noise quit I soft called and Tom was back to coming to me.  I raised my shotgun and I heard a "psssssst" behind me, I slowly turned my head and my Dad said wait, I knew of my Dad's ole tricks so I said to myself sure I'll wait and turned my head back around to get a bead on Ole Tom.  I couldn't find him right away cause he had moved when all of a sudden bang from behind me...yep my Dad nailed him...and He said to me " you got to be faster than that Son"   How ya like that  --099-780    ....   He's gone now but we had many good hunts both deer and turk and he never pulled that on me again ;D
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline spider005

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 01:29:18 PM »
Great stories, thabks for sharing.

Offline JALA RUT

• Sept. 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 01:52:11 PM »
Here is a story about the first long beard I ever got...I actually wrote the story years ago and submitted it to a book called Tales of the Ultimate Sportsman.  They were collecting stories from hunters and mine was one of the stories selected and printed in the book.  Here it goes...

I have been a dedicated turkey hunter for over ten years now. I love the sport; however, have had only minimal success. The successes I have had were on a few beautiful jakes, but I wanted to harvest a long beard so bad I could taste it. Success or not though, I would always be in the turkey woods whenever I could. Just for the thrill of hearing that thunderous "gobble" break the morning silence or for the chance of being in the right place at the right time watching a tom in full strut, putting on a show, trying to win the affections of any hens in the area.
It was the first week of New York's spring turkey season and I was running a little late getting into the woodlot that morning. As I started my journey into the woods the sky was already lighting up and the normal concerto of various songbirds in the area was well underway. I headed to an area of pines that border a small swampy area where I had seen three jakes the day before. All three jakes came in quietly but there was also a turkey gobbling in the distance. I figured there was a good chance that he may be a long beard by the submissive mannerisms the jakes were displaying so I tried to call in the vocal gobbler.  No luck, as the distant gobbles confirmed that he would not move my way at all. Maybe hens with him or at least that's what I hoped the problem was; I was quickly losing confidence in my abilities to call in a long beard. The gobbling turkey never showed and I had blown it on the jakes hoping for the long beard. Today, I was hoping the vocal gobbler would still be in the area and maybe roosted in the pines.
As I hurried along the trail toward my tree it happened. A tom thundered out his morning gobble. He sounded like he was in the hardwoods bordering the side of the swamp and probably within a couple hundred yards of me. I quickly abandoned my original plan and picked a tree where the pines start bordering the swamp. He was getting himself all hot and bothered, as he gobbled about five times, while I was getting myself situated up against a tree. Once in position, I yelped to him and he gobbled right back. We did this two more times and I decided not to overcall and just sat there quietly. He gobbled two more times on his own and I could feel the excitement build to boiling over inside me. Then he gobbled again, but this time it sounded muffled. He must be out of the tree, I thought.
I let out some excited yelps and cuts to provoke him my way and then planned to go quiet on him again. To my disappointment there was just silence. I waited for what felt like forever and still nothing. I was on that all too familiar turkey woods emotional roller coaster again.  Finally, I tried yelping again and this time he gobbled back, although my heart sank, as he sounded further away. I tried yelping again and he gobbled back--this time sounding even further away. High hopes and anticipation to disappointment.  Was it my calling...was he with hens...I was feeling pretty unconfident sitting there trying to come up with a plan to possibly cut him off.  Then, as I sat there hoping for another gobble to pinpoint the travel route he was taking, a booming gobble rocked the woods. Wow! That was close by, I thought, as my heart leaped into my throat. That gobble was immediately answered by the distant gobbler that I thought was walking away from me. The first gobbler apparently was coming in to my calls quietly, until he was in my general area. The other gobbles I heard were that of another tom further away, apparently not snubbing his nose at my calling like I had first thought. This gobbler sounded like he was within eighty yards and closing the gap quickly as he gobbled three more times coming in.
Finally I could see his white head and body walking my way. I could just make out his shape through a young sparse pine stepping in full strut as he closed the distance. Then he was briefly out of sight until coming over a knoll about forty yards to my left and I saw him! He was a long beard! The adrenalin shot through me like a bolt of lightning. He was now about twenty-five yards away and he gobbled again. The woods felt as if they actually shook by his mighty voice. He was angling by me too far on the left and blocked by shrubbery and ground cover. There was no way I could get a good shot now. I needed to do something to make him turn and come back. Just as I was about to make two soft clucks and hope for the best, he turned on his own and started back my way. He walked his previous path behind the thick ground cover and a young pine--still offering no good shot. Then he went into a strut again, turned, and came right back my way. If he continued on this path he would go behind a tree and walk out on the other side of it only about twenty yards away.
It was going to happen, I was going to get a long beard! I watched as he continued walking toward me. His eyes seemed to pick apart every square inch of the woods, looking for the amorous hen he had been hearing. I thought for sure he would spot me and be gone in a flash. I figured if he couldn't hear my heart pounding a mile a minute he surely could see me shaking with excitement. Finally, he strutted as he walked behind that tree. I positioned my gun and patiently waited for him to come out on the other side. I waited and waited, feeling like an eternity was passing by. At last, he took those last few magical steps from behind the tree and my 12 gauge shotgun roared. As I watched the magnificent tom go down a flood of emotions ran through me. I excitedly ran over to the flopping bird to check out my prize and it felt so good to put my hands on him.  He was a mature twenty-three pound tom with a 9-1/2" beard and 1" spurs. What a beautiful bird, what a great hunt...I had finally gotten my long beard!

May 5, 2000; 6:00AM...23 Pound Gobbler; 9 1/2" Beard, 1" Spurs

2014/15 Deer Hunting Championship Team#18; Buck Dynasty
Hunt Safe, Hunt Hard, Hunt Ethically and Have Fun!

Offline BMCS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 07:34:41 PM »
Great Stories Jala Rut and DPD. I really enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing.
Who's next???
BMCM(SW/AW) Retired

Offline JALA RUT

• Sept. 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 08:16:10 PM »
Love reading the Turkey Hunting Stories with the fast approaching spring turkey hunting season ... Keep'em coming!  ##$%#115
2014/15 Deer Hunting Championship Team#18; Buck Dynasty
Hunt Safe, Hunt Hard, Hunt Ethically and Have Fun!

New Page 3

Google Ad