New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Puddle Jumper's KY Hunt  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Puddle Jumper's KY Hunt
« on: March 06, 2013, 08:28:31 AM »
This all started last June 2012 at the Summer Blast action for B4K (Benefit 4 Kids).  A hunt was offered with Ron "WesternKYhunter" Larkins in White Plains, KY.  My wife was a bidder for this item and was going to give the hunt to me since she does not deer hunt.  I asked her while she was biding and she told me that I had always wanted to hunt outside of NC and this was my chance.  She won the bid.  I got with Ron and he told me that the first of the KY gun season in November 2012 would be my best time.  I made my plans with him and other members of the Hilltop Hunting Club that were at the B4K auction who also happen to be TalkHunting Members.  Tom "Gutshot" Bepler, Randy (Hunly) Haehnlein, Dennis "Possum" Parker, Mike "WVwhitetail" Snider, Denny "Bugfixer" Chambers, and Robert "Hunt Master" Householder.
Made my reservations at the Convention Center Inn as soon as I got home.  Found out later that it was a good thing that I did.  A lot of hunters hit Western KY at the start of gun season and it was booked up a few months later.  Dreaming and planning for the hunt while still getting my Fall food plots completed and the hunting season coming in here in NC.  My wife had a concern about my bad knees climbing into ladder stands.  She had me get a pop-up blind to take with me just in case.  Got an email from Randy (Hunly) Haehnlein asking me if I had reservations yet and if I would like to share a room with him.  This made me very happy as I would not have to use the GPS to find Ron.  The Hotel was 28 miles from the hunting area; yes Ron is out in the country. 
Departed my home in NC at 05:15 AM EST Thursday.  Arrived at the Inn at 14:40 CT after a trip of 711 miles.  I was wired from the trip and the expectations of the hunt along with meeting other TalkHunting family.  Randy arrived a couple of hours later.  We talked for awhile about the upcoming hunt, Talkhunting Magazine and its direction.  We then went to supper next door at the Catfish Shack to join Robert, Denny, and Trae after their bow hunts.  Ron came in after working his chicken houses and joined us also.  After joking with each other, the discussion got into where I should hunt that Saturday morning.  Ron suggested on a ledge (Buff Stand) overlooking what I would call a wide gully.  It was decided that we would meet at the Prairie Rose in White Plains for breakfast.    Randy and I met Ron there.  We sit with other hunters that had come in for the opening day along with locals.  Dennis has always talked about getting the 4-bone while there.  We are talking a four egg omelet with lots of different meats/cheese inside.  I was full after that.  Randy and I then went to the Hilltop Hunting club.  He took me around on his Rhino after checking the sign-in board to see where the others were bow hunting that morning so as not to disturb their hunt.  He hung his stand in an area he would be bow hunting that evening.  We then went to the Buff Stand and I loved it.  I knew that I would have to come back that afternoon and mark the way into it.  It was sitting on the edge of a 70 foot drop-off.  We went back to the Prairie Rose for lunch.  I was still to full to eat much.  Randy had coconut pie and I had pecan pie, both were with ice cream.  We then went to Uncle Lee’s to get my hunting license.  While there we did some shopping, good thing we were in a hurry as it is a nice place.  We went back to the Inn for Randy to get ready to bow hunt and for me to get the reflectors to mark my way to the Bluff Stand.  I drove my truck and Randy drove his since I would be coming back after marking my way to the stand for the next morning and Randy would be hunting till dark.
I get to the field that I would park in the next morning and started marking the area where I would be going into the woods.  I continue to mark my way to the stand and was about 30 yds into the woods when I heard a noise and looked in that direction and there was a doe running up toward me.  She stopped about 30 yds from me and just stood there looking at me and the direction she had come up.  I then heard another noise in the dry leaves and there came an 8 pointer within 30 ft of me.  He stopped, looked at me and then at the doe.  I was frozen and trying not to look him in the eyes.  It popped into my head a post in Talkhunting forum about not looking into the deer’s eye and spooking them if you are frozen.  We stood there for like seemed a long time.  In hindsight, think it was about a minute.  The whole time I was thinking, doe run away, doe run away over and over in my head.  Like I was sending her a message.  She finally turned and ran back in the same direction she had came.  He gave me one more look and then took off after her.  I stood there going over in my head what had just happen.  He was more concern with her than me.  He was about a 2 ˝ year old with at least a 21 inch spread.  The tines were not that tall but he was still a very respectable 8 pointer.  Guess you could say I was pumped for the next day!!!
The next morning Randy and I got up early and drove to the hunting area.  He unloaded his Rhino and headed off and I drove further back into the field to the area to head into the Buff Stand.  Had my cap red light on and those reflectors really stood out.  Had gotten to about 50 yds from the stand and heard the loud sound of wings and saw something flying from the tree over the stand.  Took me a moment to catch my breath and realize that it was a turkey.  A whole mess of them started talking and it sounded weird to me as I had only heard them in turkey houses before, you know future Butterballs.  As the daylight was breaking could hear the turkeys in the trees talking to each other.  Could hear them up and down the length of the gully.  Then the ones nearby flew down from their perch and I saw some of them join up and start feeding.  Watched this for over and hour till they worked their way out of sight.  I then noticed a hog trap below me, studied it for awhile.  It had turned into a warm windy day and everything was moving.
Randy called me about going for lunch and I say OK.  We joined up and headed to the Prairie Rose.  We had lunch and talked with some of the locals and then went next door to one of them’s place and looked at all the great deer mounts on his wall.  After some great conversation with them, we headed back to our stands.  Saw nothing that afternoon except for the wind moving everything.  We headed in to the Inn and after cleaning up, over to the Catfish Shack for supper.  We discussed plans for the next day.
Sunday we headed to the club and my stand was changed to one that Denny had seen some smaller bucks from.  I was not hunting a trophy as they were, just a nice buck.   Brandon “Littleman” Hight another TalkHunting member took me on the back of his 4-wheeler to the ladder stand overlooking a food plot.  As the sun came up I could tell that there was a soybean field just through a thin strip of woods.  I have always loved being near a soybean field when deer hunting.  About a half hour after the sun had come up, saw deer legs to my right moving through the thicket.  They were heading toward the far end of the food plot.  I got my rifle ready just in case.  The deer then moved into the plot and I could tell it was a buck but a young one.  I put the scope on him to check him out.  He was a 3-pointer.  He moved across the plot at a good pace.  Then I saw there was another deer behind him.  I got ready once more and saw it was a young buck once more, he was a small cow horn or some would call a long spike.  He took his time crossing the plot and I could see both of them head toward the soybeans.  About an hour later I saw moment below and left of me on the path we had come in.  It was another young buck.  He had what I would call a can opener on one side because it looked just like an old can opener.  2-pointer and nothing on the other side.  I had sprayed some Tink’s Power Scrape and he smelled the area around my stand.  He even looked up at me trying to figure out how a doe might have gotten up there.  He then put his nose to the ground and followed the path in the direction Brandon had gone.  Asked him later if he had placed something on himself.  He told me yes, doe n heat.  He had that young buck following him.  He picked me up from the stand about 10:30 and we headed to the parking area.  The others were there and we had gather to tell Randy goodbye as he had to head home.  After telling Randy bye we then headed once more to the Prairie Rose to eat.  Ron was riding back with me and he got a call from Trae that he had a buck down.  He asked me to drop him off at his house so he could get a vehicle and I told him not to worry about it.  I would help him and Trae get it out of the woods.  Trae and Ron had problems getting up with each other on their cell phones.  Finally we all had gotten together and Trae had Ron’s adopted son Tony Martin with him to help.  We all went into the woods to drag his nice buck out.  Sure am glad that Tony was along.  He and Trae did most of the work.  I had gotten about 150-200 yds on the first part of the drag and my feet got tangled up in some brush and fell down.  Trae and Tony then finished the drag.  When we got the buck to the truck, I pointed out to Ron that he had not dragged the buck any.  He walked over to it and moved it 5 ft and we all laughed. I took a lot of pictures of the buck for Trae along with giving him a Talkhunting paper to mark and place within the picture for the contest.  By the time we had done all of this, was getting late to hit a stand.  Went back to the buff stand area and moved over a few hundred yards and found a good spot where I could see a more of the lower area and it was out of the wind a lot.  I saw a groundhog or is it called a woodchuck there?  Watched squirrels play and feed, then it was getting dark so I headed to the Prairie Rose to get some supper and meet with Ron.  We ate and he suggested another spot for me to try.  We then went next door and they were having some roasted hog, so Ron and I joined in and hear some more great hunting stories.
I discovered later that I had lost my keys.  I had been using a spare key for the ignition but found out I did not have my other keys when I went to lock my gun in the toolbox for the night at the hotel.  I must have been a funny sight out in the parking lot frisking myself and then searching my truck.  The next day was a wet one, started raining that night.  I headed to the spot Ron had directed me too.  Got there and was very glad that I was on a 4X4 getting in there.  I then parked my truck and put my poncho on to protect myself and rifle.  I took a hunting stool along and walked couple of hundred yards to the food plot.  Located the tree stand and set up next to it on the ground.  It was a good looking area, but the warm weather and now heavy rain was not helping.  I stayed there till about 10:30 and then decided to look for my lost keys.  I retraced my steps of the day before by foot.   I spend over an hour and did not find the keys.  I did find a $20 bill near the spot I had given one to Trae to pick something up for me.  Later on Trae confirmed he had lost it.  That afternoon I was at another good looking food plot.  Saw a few does there and then my KY hunt was over.  Trae and Ron came to tell me goodbye and Trae 2 wheel drive truck was having problems backing up a very wet hill.  Ron told Trae to move out of the driver’s seat and he would show him how to do it.  The truck would not move after he had the front up near a tree.  I told them that I would walk to my truck and come back to pull them out.  It took me about 10 minutes to walk to my truck and then I got back and pulled them out.  Trae told me that he had been looking at getting a 4X4 and now he was going to get one!!!  Ron told me that the weather had not been right with the warm temps and all the wind.  The rain that had come in that day was ahead of a cold front due to hit that night and I could stay the next day if I wanted to.  I told him that I would love to, but I had promised my wife that I would be home Tuesday night.  Think how I felt the next morning loading up with a 24 degree temp and a heavy frost on the ground with no wind!!!
I had a great time while in KY and enjoyed the people I was.  Getting a nice buck would have been icing on the cake but I would take nothing for the memories, especially the look on Trae’s face when he scored his 9-point 138 score buck.

Harold “Puddle Jumper” Hollingsworth
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
Re: Puddle Jumper's KY Hunt
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:30:25 AM »
Talkhunting Family.

1st picture.  Hunly, Hunt Master, Bugfixer, and Puddle Jumper.

2nd picture.  Hunly, PJ, Capttrae, WesternKYhunter, and Bugfixer.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:34:18 AM by Puddle Jumper »
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NAHC Life
American Legion
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
Hunly and Puddle Jumper telling WesternKYhunter goodbye.

USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NAHC Life
American Legion
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 08:44:32 AM »
sounds like you had a great time
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
Puddle Jumper's KY Hunt
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »
It was great having u up. Hope u can come back next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hunly

• 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 09:42:05 AM »
Great story PJ. Hope you get to return up there again this fall. You're always welcome in camp.

Offline bugfixer

• Administrator
  • 12 Point
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »
Great story PJ!! I am pretty sure I had a close encounter with that wide 8 point you saw a few days before you got in camp. He was dogging a doe pretty hard. That was the first time I have ever seen a doe run into thick brush and lay down completely flat, like a dog trying to cool himself on a tile floor. She tried her best to hide from him, but she couldn't hide from his nose. I hate you didn't get to connect with a nice buck, but that is how hunting goes sometimes.

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:49:53 AM »
It was a fun time even if the weather didnt cooporate that weekend...
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 09:11:19 PM »
sounds like a blast! you could have left off the last couple pictures though. "What goes on at camp stays at camp" and all!  @--0--0105
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 09:37:01 PM »
Great story PJ, glad you were able to make the hunt, and thanks to Mrs PJ for outbidding everyone. Did you ever find the keys?
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 04:43:19 AM »
Great story PJ, glad you were able to make the hunt, and thanks to Mrs PJ for outbidding everyone. Did you ever find the keys?

Nope,
Cost me about $150.00 to get them remade when I got home.        :'(   

Took my club a few hunts to get me another key there.  Could not open any gates and had to make sure I got out before they were locked.     ;D

PJ
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:45:04 AM by Puddle Jumper »
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NAHC Life
American Legion
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 05:51:04 AM »
Great story PJ, I know you guys had a blast!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BubbaBrown

• Life is good at The Deer Camp!
    • The Deer Camp
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 02:11:09 PM »
Great hunting with so many friends, I wish I could head that way one day, maybe the economy will straighten out one day before I retire to being broke on SSI. Looks like fun was had, but there was way too much kissing for my comfort!!!!  @--0--0102
Semi-Retired & Over the Hill

2009 TalkHunting Sportsman of the Year
www.thedeercamp.com
2009 TALK HUNTING WILD GAME COOK-OFF CHAMPION
Cpl. USMC 1970-1972, MOS 6064, Parachute Rigger

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 03:08:35 PM »
Great hunting with so many friends, I wish I could head that way one day, maybe the economy will straighten out one day before I retire to being broke on SSI. Looks like fun was had, but there was way too much kissing for my comfort!!!!  @--0--0102

Your just jealous that you missed Ron!!!     @--0--0125

PJ
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NAHC Life
American Legion
Burgaw Hunting Club

New Page 3

Google Ad