New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Mother Nature's Language by Dutch-Hunter  (Read 471 times)

Offline TalkHunting Mag

• Button Buck
Mother Nature's Language by Dutch-Hunter
« on: March 03, 2013, 05:14:02 PM »
Most if not all TH members spend a good amount of time in the great outdoors. Hunting is actually an excuse or reason used to get out and enjoy Mother Nature’s wonders. While enjoying her serene beauty have you ever just sat and observed the entire space around you? Ever wondered what that noise was, or what bird makes that song or chirp? When you sit on a fallen tree to rest, have you thought about the insects and fungi working to turn that tree into food or a home. Everything in nature has a purpose and a job to do and its survival is dependent upon something else doing theirs. It is a very fine balancing act that has been honed for more years than we have entered this domain. Have you ever tried to really listen to what Mother Nature is trying to tell you? She definitely has her own unique language and communication skills.

Mother Nature has woodland sentry’s that stand guard and announce when invaders are approaching. They are the squirrels that chatter at you as you move through the woods or the blue jays and chickadees that seem to curse your every move. Yet when you get to a spot to sit quietly just to observe, they quiet down and tolerate your presence. If you are bow hunter you may have a chickadee come to perch close to you in your stand. Did you know you can use these sentries to your advantage? After they have adjusted to your presence, if they start up their ruckus again, chances are there is something else invading the area. If you are hunting deer it may be one, or it could be a predator or another hunter, so be alert. Nothing seems to escape the constant monitoring of the woodland sentry’s.

Mother Nature can also predict the weather. She is much better at it than the TV weather people, I guess it's because she has been doing it so long. If you know how to read her signals, you can be better prepared. If the robins show up early in the spring the chances of an early spring are promising. Just remember the old saying “spring won’t break until the robin has had snow on its tail three times”, and this holds pretty true. Migratory birds are another very good indicator and if you take time to record their movements from year to year, you can see a definite pattern and establish a base line. This year the Canadian geese started heading South on September 9, from my chronicled observations (not scientific just the 40 years of writing down observations) this is about two weeks ahead of the norm. Typically, we have a frost and usually within the next seven days. A frost warning has been issued for September 15th. The Lapland Longspur is an arctic songbird, when they show up in the middle of November the upcoming winter is going to have above average snowfall and last well into March or April. Another winter indicator is the average deer coloration if it darker than normal it is also an indicator of a colder than normal winter.

Mother Nature has even built language arts into the plants. When tracking or some call it scouting, take the time to figure out how quickly a grass starts to stand back up after being stepped on. This will allow you to determine how long ago the track was made. Then pay close attention to the “hair grabbers”, every region has their own species of these thorny nasty little devils, in my neighborhood it's prickly ash and raspberries. When you learn to use them they can tell you what has passed by and in what direction. While tracking use all the tools available. Don’t just observe the deer droppings, analyze them. If they contain plum seeds then find where the wild plum trees are and this will give you an advantage in charting movement, same for cherry seeds and apple seeds. If they have corn hulls in them determine the best or most travelled route to the source.

These are some of the lessons Mother Nature has taught me. Some lessons may only be relevant to my particular region. The region where you are has its own special language from Mother Nature. Try to understand what she is trying to tell you. This knowledge will make your outdoor experience more rewarding. When I go to another region I study the flora in advance. This gives me an understanding what the language dialect is for that specific area.

Dutch-Hunter

New Page 3

Google Ad