New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: forest management  (Read 1694 times)

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: forest management
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 07:55:55 AM »
Yari..... I just caught this...When we had ours done I called many local logging companies and explained that I had several coming out to do bids...that each one would have to have a different colored tree paint and I'd be walking with them....We had been on line finding out what the current prices on tree species were on the market...I also informed all that there was a video of the current conditions of the woods ..
We for about 20 dollars bought a dole scale and did our own estimating as well...then each estimator had to stop and give me an estimate on three trees I selected...tall straight limbless and 16in...some were close and others were over 180 board foot off (lower) than everyone else on a single tree...We had 6 loggers come out ...after that I had the state forester come out and give his opinion(free service)..real eye opener for sure...
I also asked each if we had any veneers logs...all but one said no...Well I knew different...and we went with a small logger with a small skidsteer(less damage) and also instead of a price off the stump ..knowing what we had went with a cut and scale...just a tad over 100 trees allowed us to buy a 3 yr old 38horse JD tractor with a front loader and backhoe..
If you have the time...which really not all that much ...Going  in with some knowledge will have you coming out  ahead

Offline bholt

• Spike
    • BH Outdoors
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 04:25:44 PM »
Of course I don't have trees such as yours around me, but wow I had no idea.
B. HOLT
BH Outdoors
Georgetown, Texas 78633
https://sites.google.com/site/bholtoutdoors/

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 05:04:06 PM »
no chance they will cut during hunting season. that's not an option
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline mnrackhunter

• Sept. 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 02:17:55 PM »
Looks like you have the right idea!! I like it!! Some of my neighbors have been doing some select harvesting of trees, & land.. It really looks good when i drive by!! Where are you at in Wisconsin?  I'm an hour north of duluth/superior...
Ruger 270, TC venture 300 WSM
Mathews switchback xt
Honda rancher es 4x4 atv
Whitetails are my passion!!
NAHC Life member

Offline yari

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 05:54:36 PM »
Looks like you have the right idea!! I like it!! Some of my neighbors have been doing some select harvesting of trees, & land.. It really looks good when i drive by!! Where are you at in Wisconsin?  I'm an hour north of duluth/superior...

great area. i'm 20 miles south of Ashland.

it's been tough trying to get a good logger lined up. the good ones are booked out 1-2 years
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline shambones

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 11:36:22 PM »
Yari,

How is it going?  I have been really happy with the forestry consultant we used.  Of course ours was a lot different situation as we had that huge blowdown storm so we just needed to get trees removed.  Terrible price but many people were having it done for free so I am happy I got something.  This last year started out so good with all the moisture then it has been dry as heck.  So we have some good undergrowth going on right now and I think in a few years we will have some really good areas.  BTW, I bought a dozer and have been playing with it to clear trails.  Works pretty good but could use a bigger one to get out the stumps.  Hope all is well.

Offline yari

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 07:17:20 PM »
it's dead in the water right now. one bid came in way too high price. one guy decided he was too busy. many others never called back.

I guess life as a logger is very good. it's like I have to beg them to work and make money off my trees!!!! if I ran my business like these guys I would be broke. hard to believe

yes, it's been really dry, especially in sand country by you. it gives you a chance to put the dozer to good use though. get it set up the way you want. good luck
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad