New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Turkey Fan  (Read 1011 times)

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
Turkey Fan
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:38:44 AM »
I'm planning ahead here. Since me and my son will be going to Missouri in April for our turkey hunt and I'm planning on doing our own turkey fan mounts, that is if we get lucky enough to tag one, I have a question for you experts.

Doing the fan mount seems straight forward and I see no reason I would not be able to do this my self, but how soon do I need to get the fan "pinned" up to dry.

I know right away is best, but since we will be a eight drive from home and be hunting for three days what if my son gets his turkey the first morning and then I have to hunt the last two days of the three day hunt before I get one and/or don't?

Should I take stuff with me to do the fan mount at the camp or can I just cut the tail from the bird and let it set until we return home? Like leave it in a cooler with ice or?????????? What do you guys say I need to do?

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Turkey Fan
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:43:13 AM »
ligpd,
If no one here can help you with this question, bet that IMB Monster Buck Outfitters who you are hunting with can.

Good Luck, take lots of pictures.  Waiting to hear those stories!!!

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline JALA RUT

• Sept. 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • 2013 Bow Harvest
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 08:51:22 AM »
I've done fans after freezing them and they have come out fine.  Just close the fan as normal, loosely wrap, and seal.  I also lay the beard in the package before freezing too...on top of some of the wrapping of the fan, not in contact with the feathers.  I try not too freeze too long because I worry about the freeze affecting the beard but so far not on the the two that I did freeze.  Good Luck!
2014/15 Deer Hunting Championship Team#18; Buck Dynasty
Hunt Safe, Hunt Hard, Hunt Ethically and Have Fun!

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Turkey Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 09:55:15 PM »
My buddy is a taxidermist and told me to be sure include the base feathers. Basically you need to cut under from the anus out and around the tail feathers and form like a V cut meeting around the center of the back. A lot of people fail to protect the base feathers which add a lot of beauty to a fan mount.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:34:26 PM »
I freeze mine I also freeze the beard and feet/spurs until I can mount the fan and clean the spurs for mounting.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 08:49:51 AM »
Thanks for the info. Now we will let time see what happens.

Offline ZLong19

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • Ya'll see urn' today?
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 09:23:44 AM »
I use to take mine and freeze them, not too long though, I would thaw them out and spread them out with a series of nails as holders on the tail feathers(not nailed through the feathers, just as wedges to keep the fan spread) on a work bench then lay a small piece of cardboard over the base feathers russ was talking about.  Apply borax to what meat is left on the base feather area and let dry for two weeks, the fan was then full spread and stiff as a board...  You can then buy the beard and fan display at wal mart or somewhere and just screw the fan into the mount.

I did one with two fans on a piece of driftwood a few years ago, but can't find the post... if I find it I'll post it up on this topic.
Hunting is a way of life: Love it, Teach it, Live it. But most of all.... RESPECT IT and pass it on!

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 09:03:30 AM »
I have a piece of Styrofoam cut 2 ft by 2ft I keep around to do my pinning on. It is easy to pin and stiffer than a piece of cardboard. I pin like the others and use pins as a wedge on different sides of the feathers not poking the feathers. I froze mine I got in Kansas and done them a month later when I had time.

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 05:00:24 PM »
freeze it if possible but real cool in an ice chest should be OK
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline foodplot19

• 8 Point
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 12:15:42 PM »
Where about's are you coming to hunt in Missouri?

As far as the fan goes I've had good look with keeping them in a zip lock back in a cooler full of ice and water.  They will make it 3 days fine.  I have never froze them so no clue on that one.
I've included a pic of one of mine that is made using a fan mounting kit from Cabela's.  They have many different versions but this one seems to be the best made one of the bunch.  Just my 2 cents.  Good Luck on your hunt!!!
Class of 88
Journeyman Lineman 17 years
Love to spend time outside with the wife and kiddos
Proud to say everything on or with my bow is MADE IN USA!!! Mathews Switchback XT
Constant boredom interspersed with moments of shear terror!!
Team Backstrap Obsession 14'-15' Whitetail Championship

Offline spider005

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 01:34:17 PM »
Good to know.

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 02:37:27 PM »
Foodplot19, we will be hunting in Macon County. I hope at least my son gets a tom and if I get one that is just a bonus to me.

I would like to think everyone for the info you have provided and we hope we can put it to use.

Offline foodplot19

• 8 Point
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 09:08:58 PM »
What part of Macon County are you hunting? Near what town?
My family is from there and we still deer and turkey hunt there. Which weekend are you going to be up there?
Let me know I may be up there at the same time.
Good Luck!!
Class of 88
Proud to say everything on or with my bow is MADE IN USA!!! Mathews Switchback XT

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »
We will be in the town Bethel and staying at the Colonie Haus Lodge. We will arrive April 14 and hunt the 15,16, & 17. I do not know where we will hunt, but at least that's the lodge we will be at.

If you will be in the area let me know and maybe we can get in touch.

Offline foodplot19

• 8 Point
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 07:08:06 PM »
I'll have to say you are going to be on the completely opposite side of the county from us. We are west of LaPlata.
It is all good turkey country!!
Good luck!!!
If I end up being up there that weekend I'll let ya know.
Class of 88

New Page 3

Google Ad