New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: question for the archer  (Read 1230 times)

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
question for the archer
« on: February 18, 2013, 07:42:36 PM »
we all know that each gun like a certain bullet  ex ( 150 grain  one will shoot great out of the gun)  do you think this could be true of bows  was think about this  what do you all think
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline CTARCHER

• Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
Re: question for the archer
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:55:51 PM »
 ##$%#1119 Never thought of comparing different arrow/broadhead combinations for better accuracy. Could be a little costly I would think. Sure wouldn't mind trying if it would make a difference.
Over 40 yrs chasin critters
U.S.Army 69-72
Life Member NRA
NRA Certified Pistol Safety Instructor
Life Member BASS
Also a RAVENS fan. (had to be different)

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »
Without a doubt it makes a difference!!!    Searching for the exact set-up that works best for you  can be a little costly, but it's well worth the time and money.   If you don't have the optimum set-up, you're cheating yourself.    There are so many variables when it comes to bowhunting, and any slight variation can make a world of difference.   Changing a bow string, trying different broadheads, different types of releases, different arrows, fletchings, etc. until you find that exact, perfect set-up is a labor of love, but you owe it to yourself, and to the game you hunt.   
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline Snortweeze

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »
It makes a big difference. That is why they offer several different tip sizes.
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 05:42:09 PM »
all the variables are important. personally i like a bigger arrow(cx 400) even though all i really need is a 300. i like the more stability and the wt. isn't that big of a factor for me.

see what shoots best for you. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »
all the variables are important. personally i like a bigger arrow(cx 400) even though all i really need is a 300. i like the more stability and the wt. isn't that big of a factor for me.

Yari, can I ask what your draw length and poundage is.  When u say you shoot a 400 arrow what do you mean?  Reason I ask is many people when they get set up they get the wrong arrow to begin with.  Arrows that say 400 on them aren't exactly bigger then ones that say 300.  the numbers are actually the spine stiffness of the arrow not size, and its actually the opposite of what most people think,  the smaller the number they stiffer they are, meaning people shooting a 29 inch draw and 70 lbs should be shooting a 340 spine stiffness arrow. shorter draw lengths should be shooting 400.  there are the exceptions to the rule though and that is found out through paper tuning. You probably know this already but its good information for someone beginning in archery.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:48:33 PM »
Sure does... look at any arrow manufacturer's website and you'll see a miriad of info on which arrow is best for which length, broadhead weight, etc. That puts you inthe ballpark, but you have to play some before hitting the homerun.
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline Woods Walker

• 6 Point
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »
I also agree that is definitely does make a difference.

And as a traditional archer it can get even more complicated because in addition to spine, draw length and other factor we also have different shooting styles that we  use in addition to using our fingers. Split finger, three under, shallow hook, deep hook, swing draw, set arm, push pull, cant/no cant, gap, instinctive, etc.

But that's what makes it fun!

The other point is that with traditional there's really not all that much to account for on the bow itself, especially if you shoot off the shelf like I do. Once you have the right spine, and you adjust your brace height and nock point to what best suits you, then all the other adjustments are with yourself. That's easier to fix and a LOT cheaper!!!

Most of us try to shoot the heaviest arrow/broadhead combo that we can accurately shoot, because with the physics of a traditional bow what kills is penetration and QUIET. Speed is a distant 3rd.
Hunt hard,

Kill swiftly,

Waste nothing,

Offer no apologies.

>>>---------------------------->

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 09:58:33 PM »
this is what i like everyone got good info  and   shares it       i done archery for 36 year, Fletch my arrows and ran a bow shop with my bother. I also shot in the nation field archery "censored Word". tournaments including the world,  mid Atlantic and new york state.     so i love it when we can talk bow and arrows   thanks gang    @--0--0118
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »

Yari, can I ask what your draw length and poundage is.  When u say you shoot a 400 arrow what do you mean?  Reason I ask is many people when they get set up they get the wrong arrow to begin with.  Arrows that say 400 on them aren't exactly bigger then ones that say 300.  the numbers are actually the spine stiffness of the arrow not size, and its actually the opposite of what most people think,  the smaller the number they stiffer they are, meaning people shooting a 29 inch draw and 70 lbs should be shooting a 340 spine stiffness arrow. shorter draw lengths should be shooting 400.  there are the exceptions to the rule though and that is found out through paper tuning. You probably know this already but its good information for someone beginning in archery.

NWI, i shoot CX 400(carbon express). 70 lbs and a 28 1/2" draw. according to the charts, i could go down to a lighter CX300. the 400's are a few grams/inch heavier than the 300's so i would guess they are tougher.(more wt=more durable in my mind) i paper tune at the beginning of summer and before hunting season. it's a beautiful dart hole. feel free to express you opinion.
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline HoytShooter

• Oct/11 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Shoot Straight
    • My home page
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 07:55:55 AM »

NWI, i shoot CX 400(carbon express). 70 lbs and a 28 1/2" draw. according to the charts, i could go down to a lighter CX300. the 400's are a few grams/inch heavier than the 300's so i would guess they are tougher.(more wt=more durable in my mind) i paper tune at the beginning of summer and before hunting season. it's a beautiful dart hole. feel free to express you opinion.

Yari,
  I do believe you are correct.  With CE they run the numbers different than some.  A 300 arrow is a weaker spine than the 400.  I too run a little over spined and I have found the bow shoots better that way.  I would NEVER suggest anyone shoot under spined but over has never been an issue.  It also does give you the extra weight as you mentioned.
Proud father of a Daughter serving in Navy
'11 Hoyt Carbon Matrix Plus Blackout Bone Collector w/Z3 Cams
'12 Hoyt Carbon Matrix RKT Bone Collector
41 years of hunting and fishing.
NRA Life Member

New Page 3

Google Ad