New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Posted signs  (Read 1243 times)

Offline bberger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
Posted signs
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:47:13 PM »
Just a little tidbit of information, my "ex lawyer" boss reminded me of,  people tresspassing on your posted "No Hunting" land, is a civil offense, slap on the hand, however, trespassing on land clearly marked "No Trespassing" is a criminal offense.  Just something to think about when replacing posted signs this spring.  I changed all my No Hunting signs to No trespassing last year.
Bob Berger, Chief Engineer, WHBF, KGCW, ThisTV
Rock Island, IL

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Posted signs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:00:48 PM »
Thanks that's good to know...
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 03:25:19 PM »
Is that true everywhere?  ##$%#1119
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline Snortweeze

• Let a youg buck go and his rack will grow.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 04:11:07 PM »
My signs say both, but I also bought a bunch of purple paint because there is new trespassing purple paint law in IL.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/news/Pages/NewLawGivesMoreRightstoPropertyOwners.aspx
Proud talkhunting member/moderator
Farmer, Outdoorsmen and Chicago Bears fan.

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
Mine say both and also no fishing
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »
i'm in the middle of nowhere, so getting law enforcement to my property is a long term wait. the crazy thing is i have people walk right past my signs. the nerve of some people is amazing. i've resorted to taking back tag numers and reporting them. a few have gotten fines for illegal activities.

thx for the info
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 09:15:56 AM »
Thanks for the word, B!   All our signs read .................  "POSTED"
                                                                             NO TRESPASSING
                                                                        VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT
                                                                  SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN!
                                and................   
                                                                        IF YOU CAN READ THIS,
                                                                           YOU'RE IN RANGE.
                 This year, we're adding.......
                                                                      SMILE FOR THE CAMERAS!
                                                                      (written in spanish, also)
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline bberger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 02:39:37 PM »
Thats a good idea taking tag numbers but we are not required to wear any identifying tags up here.

i'm in the middle of nowhere, so getting law enforcement to my property is a long term wait. the crazy thing is i have people walk right past my signs. the nerve of some people is amazing. i've resorted to taking back tag numers and reporting them. a few have gotten fines for illegal activities.

thx for the info
Bob Berger, Chief Engineer, WHBF, KGCW, ThisTV
Rock Island, IL

Offline BeaglePup

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 02:56:27 PM »
Good to know - but folks check your individual state laws and regulations.  They could be different.  Best thing to do is ask your local game warden or sheriff's deputy as to the best signage to post.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Online Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 02:57:48 PM »
My signs say both, but I also bought a bunch of purple paint because there is new trespassing purple paint law in IL.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/news/Pages/NewLawGivesMoreRightstoPropertyOwners.aspx

NC started that about two years ago.  You have to have written permission on you if caught on those properties.  Our hunting club now hands out cards each season to include any guests you bring.  My wife rode with me last season and she had to have a card also even with her not hunting.  The Trespass part.

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 06:03:29 PM »
At least in the state of Indiana the landowner must post a "No Tresspassing" sign at the main entrance point of the property and the owner may post them else where as well, but one sign needs to be at the main entry point. Generally this means at the point the general public would most likely enter the property at. Example: if you have a house on this property then a sign posted at or near the front driveway will work.

OR: the person that is now tresspassing must be told verbally by the land owner and/or law enforcement the first time not to return again or they will be in violation of tresspassing.

Again, check with your state law as the law may and probably will differ from state to state.

Offline BeaglePup

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 05:54:55 AM »

NC started that about two years ago.  You have to have written permission on you if caught on those properties.  Our hunting club now hands out cards each season to include any guests you bring.  My wife rode with me last season and she had to have a card also even with her not hunting.  The Trespass part.

PJ

In Virginia No Trespassing signal is white or silver paint encircling the tree or topping a post.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline steelie74

• 7 Point
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 11:40:06 AM »
in new york it's just a 50 dollar fine. but here's one for you.if your land is posted and you have a pond,if someone swims in your pond without your permisson and drowns you are still liable.you also must have NO SWIMMING   signs posted around your pond.how sad is that.just a heads up to all pond owners in ny. ask your lawyer,my neighbor was just advised by his lawyer to do exactly that around his pond.
(thwack)  bowhunters will know the sound.  also my license plate   52 ACRES TO MAKE INTO MY ON LITTLE HONEYHOLE.  OH MY ACHIN BACK!!

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 07:50:35 AM »
We bought new metal signs...for camp Mr B.s name and the address and for here.... my name address and phone #...our fines are up to the Justices discretion so the last guy got 70.00 fine...but I talked to our local Justice and explained the problems and said I have my # on the signs so there are no excuses available...plenty of signs and a contact #....he assured me fines will be higher..

Offline gbcimages

• Fawn
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »
In Washington state it's a $250 fine and everything confiscated.

New Page 3

Google Ad