New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Items Needed to Turkey Hunt?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
Re: Items Needed to Turkey Hunt?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 11:23:08 AM »
The youth season of 2011 spring was my first time ever going for me and my son. Like you we never really had any turkeys in my area until then.

I read the above article form Duane72 and went with it. I also spent three weeks or so in the area from several hundred yards away and watched them along with putting out trail cams before season opened.

Opening day my son missed a nice tom. Second day he shot his first Jake. That was the end of our turkey hunting that year.

2012 I took my son out both youth seasons days and we could hear them, but they never showed them self's. The next day out was regular season and I shot a big tom.

I just kept it simple and it worked for us.

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 12:22:08 PM »
looks good, but I wouldnever use the mouth call, I can never get them to sound even close to good
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Two Tales

• 7 Point
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 07:20:08 PM »
what do you need..oh my..let me think you will need 3 or 4 double barrled slates, 6 or 10 single pot slate (friction type calls) made with an assortment of materials, at least 2 box calls 1 long and 1 short..then mouthcalls..I would say a 1/2 gallon freezer bag full should be just about enough..then you will want to coddle them a bit so a couple of wing bone calls are a must..then there is your shotgun, turkey loads, your extra full turkey choke, camo everything, a struting  jake, a feeding hen, a Nasty Nancy hen, and an alert hen decoy, a good sturdy turkey vest (better get two 1 needs to have a seat with a back cusion) turkey drape (blaze orange flap) to wrap around the bird you shoot while carring it out... ##$%#1119 ##$%#1119 ##$%#1119 what? oh you said what you need...not what you'll want by the end of next season ##$%#15 opps, never mind..just follow these guys advice and you'll be fine..one last thing though it ya can get one...a mentor is a really great thing to have along...

TT @--0--0107
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:22:23 PM by Two Tales »
USN Ret.
LM DAV
LM NRA
Chief Istructor CE/FS
ADC BSA
Fox Patrol, Tr 1 Gilwell, NE-142
from the ragged rim on the edge of reality.....

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 05:27:04 AM »
what do you need..oh my..let me think you will need 3 or 4 double barrled slates, 6 or 10 single pot slate (friction type calls) made with an assortment of materials, at least 2 box calls 1 long and 1 short..then mouthcalls..I would say a 1/2 gallon freezer bag full should be just about enough..then you will want to coddle them a bit so a couple of wing bone calls are a must..then there is your shotgun, turkey loads, your extra full turkey choke, camo everything, a struting  jake, a feeding hen, a Nasty Nancy hen, and an alert hen decoy, a good sturdy turkey vest (better get two 1 needs to have a seat with a back cusion) turkey drape (blaze orange flap) to wrap around the bird you shoot while carring it out... ##$%#1119 ##$%#1119 ##$%#1119 what? oh you said what you need...not what you'll want by the end of next season ##$%#15 opps, never mind..just follow these guys advice and you'll be fine..one last thing though it ya can get one...a mentor is a really great thing to have along...

TT @--0--0107

Heh-Heh!!!    --099-780

Love it!!!     @--0--0105

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline BeaglePup

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 06:11:27 AM »
http://talkhunting.com/issue/march-april-2011/article/just-the-basics-turkey-hunting-uncomplicated  @--0--0137

This is pretty much perfect..........PRACTICE YOUR CALLING.....I have been after thunder chickens for a "few" years and still get the calls out and hit them all year round.  I go to Backdraft94's place with them and work at driving his tame birds nuts as often as I can........!!
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
Items Needed to Turkey Hunt?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 06:19:39 AM »

TT @--0--0107

All that's true, you'll want all that and then some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
Items Needed to Turkey Hunt?
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 06:21:21 AM »
Oh and one more thing you'll need, a shrink and a 12 step program to help break ur addiction and help ease you back into the reality of life after turkey season

Offline MichaelJ83

• Spike
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 10:04:50 AM »
I use HS Mouth Calls my favorite is a Raspy Hen, I also use the Primo's Gobbler Shaker Call, I don't use decoys but might start this year, also make sure your have like little to know subtle movements you think deer can see pshhh a turkey is like a private eye lol I wear camo but wear a rhino skin bug repellant top and bottom... up here we got a whole lot of ticks.. and these work well!
1 Timothy 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: 5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

NAHC Member
NAFC Member
Field & Stream Member
Scout Look Member
Stuff Stuff Field Tester
Bow & Muzzleloader Hunter

Offline Hunly

• 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Re: Items Needed to Turkey Hunt?
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 11:09:21 AM »
Oh and one more thing you'll need, a shrink and a 12 step program to help break ur addiction and help ease you back into the reality of life after turkey season

MOST ADDICTIVE HUNTING I have ever done period

Offline MichaelJ83

• Spike
Re: Re: Items Needed to Turkey Hunt?
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 11:23:11 AM »

MOST ADDICTIVE HUNTING I have ever done period

I absolutely agree lol!!
1 Timothy 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: 5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

NAHC Member
NAFC Member
Field & Stream Member
Scout Look Member
Stuff Stuff Field Tester

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 05:09:09 PM »
If you get a decoy, I only reccommend one decoy, and thats a dave smith decoy.  they are a little pricier, but well worth the money.  The kid I turkey hunt with bought an upright and a feeder hen.  Every bird comes to that upright hen,  we have a video of a hen that spent over 20 minutes pecking at her head and making all kinds of noises we have never heard before,  its unreal.  The great thing about these decoys is the paint is guarenteed for life too.  a good slate call is a must too.  We bowhunt all of our turkeys and have great success with that kind of setup.  If you hunt out of a blind make sure to go with all black clothing too,  they can see you in camo.
Amen I thought they were pricey until I got to see how the turkeys react to them I had to run a big boss hen off before she chipped my paint!!! She fought that decoy for 20 mins.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline MichaelJ83

• Spike
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 08:29:20 PM »
How is this for a starter pack?

Primos Turkey Call Starter Pack 1

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-PRI272

PJ

that would work PJ, but, understand that the mouth call will take a lot of work but the slate and box you should grab that easily

Mouth calls do take some work and getting used to, slate calls are great and also the new primos double gobbler!!

NAHC Member
NAFC Member
Field & Stream Member
Scout Look Member
Stuff Stuff Field Tester

New Page 3

Google Ad