New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Instinctive vs Gap Shooting which is Better  (Read 2367 times)

Offline rvrbnk1

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
  • Exceed The Norm
Instinctive vs Gap Shooting which is Better
« on: September 16, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
For the folks that dont use a sight on a bow.  Do you prefer using Instincive shooting or gap shooting?
NRA member
Up North Journal - Team member
www.upnorthjournal.com
22 years of experience and still learning

Offline Bow man

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
Re: Instinctive vs Gap Shooting which is Better
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 06:58:58 AM »
Do what works for you. Peronally Tracey and I shoot Instinctive.
St. Joe River Longbow 50.@28  62"
Muzzy Phantoms SS
www.stjoeriverbows.com
A-Way Hunting Products Pro staff member  www.awayhunting.com

Offline Woods Walker

• 6 Point
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:14:54 PM »
I prefer instinctive. One of the reasons why I stopped shooting my compounds and went back to the stickbow was because I didn't want to mess with having to know yardages, and then having to think about which pin I had to use when I had a deer present a shot and my heart and mind was racing at full speed.

For me, if I had to mess with gaps and know yardage then I may as well just put a sight on my bow and be done with it because there's really no difference.
Hunt hard,

Kill swiftly,

Waste nothing,

Offer no apologies.

>>>---------------------------->

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline growalot

• 2014/15 Whitetail Deer Championship Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 08:21:52 AM »
OK...been bow hunting ...himm16yrs now...I think...have know idea what the term gap hunting means...Explain please

I don't hunt with sights...I just raise the bow lock in muscles and look down the shaft to broad head and deer

When practicing I do range my 3-D just so I can retain a mental picture of arrow flight at certain distances...This has given me a really good eye for judging distance/length on most every thing

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 10:43:35 AM »
can someone explain what is meant by the two terms and the differance. Think I understand Instinctive, but  @--0--0117
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Woods Walker

• 6 Point
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:55:30 PM »
Well here's my interpretation.......

With instinctive you don't CONSCIOUSLY look at the arrow at all during your aim/draw/anchor/release/follow through sequence.  You practice enough so that all you do is focus entirely on the exact spot that you want to hit and then let your body take over with the mechanics of the shot. Some folks...myself included...like to cant the bow to get even the bow out of the sight picture also. It's similar to throwing a ball or shooting a basketball. You practice your mechanics until they are second nature, and then you use your mental discipline to make your mind/eye focus on the target.

With gap shooting, you consciously do look at the arrow in relation to the spot you want to hit and judge the "gap" between the spot and the arrow tip as your "sight". This method usually requires that you know the yardage to the target to set your gap. My own opinion on this method is that if I have to go through all that, I may as well just pin sights on the bow as it's the same method only one uses actual pins and the other the arrow tip.

But.......(there's always a "but")......many people use a hybrid of these two methods and many with a good deal of success. I myself use the instinctive method for all my bowhunting but on a 3-D shoot or if I'm out wandering around with judo points shooting at round bales or weed heads I will lower my anchor point and gap shots at 30 to 100 yards, "just for giggles".

Bottom line is to use whichever method or combination thereof that works best for you.
Hunt hard,

Kill swiftly,

Waste nothing,

Offer no apologies.

>>>---------------------------->

NRA Endowment Life Member

New Page 3

Google Ad