New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Fletched my first batch of arrows.  (Read 890 times)

Offline geiger.118

• Button Buck
Fletched my first batch of arrows.
« on: August 25, 2012, 09:55:26 AM »
I have been wanting to refletch my arrows for a few years now but I finally broke down bought a Bohning.  Well worth the money.  My vanes were all chewed and i only had one good practice arrow left. lol. It was way easier than i thought. I went with 2in blazer vanes. My local Kames had the tiger striped vanes for the same price as the normal ones. 10 bucks for 36. I only had to do 9 arrows and was done in no time. Waited 30 secs for the glue and that was it.  Best part is I have enough vanes to last for several years at least.

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
Re: Fletched my first batch of arrows.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »
sounds good
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Hawk

• Spike
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 11:45:09 AM »
quick and easy...PERFECT

Offline DLR

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • God is my solid rock in which I lean on.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 02:50:54 PM »
I need to refletch some arrows as well. But will have to wait for some $. So for now will make do with what I have.
Attended 2010 WKH Hog Hunt
Team Turbo Nock
YHEC Volunteer
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Maryland Safety Instructor
Attended Eastern Anniversary Party
Attended 2010 Campout
 Graduate of Ultimate Medical Academy 2012

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 02:54:29 PM »
nice work. was there a 'learning curve' or did it go pretty smooth?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline geiger.118

• Button Buck
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 08:49:32 AM »
yari, there was about a 3 minute learning curve ha. i had to redo 2 arrows. i found out i wasnt keeping the fletching tight to the shaft so the top and bottom were glued but not the middle and that was a quick fix of just making sure everything was tight.  now all i have to do is cut the arrows down to the right size. when i bought them i wasnt sure how long they needed to be so i have been shooting them with about 3 extra inches of arrow that doesn't need to be there. any tips or thoughts? I know the arrow length past the drop away rest should be 1 inch.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 07:56:49 PM »
i've never cut a carbon arrow. can you use a tube cutter like you do on aluminum?

i would leave 1" beyond your 'stop', your farthest point you can draw your bow. that way you can't possibly overdraw your bow.

let me know what works. i have a new dozen that also needs to be cut. no sense paying someone to do it if a tubecutter would work. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 05:26:15 AM »
i've never cut a carbon arrow. can you use a tube cutter like you do on aluminum?

i would leave 1" beyond your 'stop', your farthest point you can draw your bow. that way you can't possibly overdraw your bow.

let me know what works. i have a new dozen that also needs to be cut. no sense paying someone to do it if a tubecutter would work. good luck

Carbon arrows should be cut with a high speed cutter...

do not use a tube cutter on them not a good thing on carbon arrows...

but it is fun to  fletch your own!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline WNCDEERHUNTER

• Dec/10 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
Sounds good - Can save you a good bit of money over time and I enjoy fletching and cutting my own arrows -

Yeah Red is right - need a high speed cutter to do the carbon arrows. They come with a blade that will last for years with normal use. Most people won't pay for the cost of a cutter for many years though.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:19:57 AM by WNCDEERHUNTER »
U.S. Army - Veteran

N.C. Lifetime Sportsman

Offline geiger.118

• Button Buck
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 10:51:07 AM »
my neighbor is the one guy i turn to when i have any questions before i found this sight. he has a real down to earth perspective when it comes to life in general. he knows little bit of everything about everything. being a newb to bowhunting he helped me with anchor points and getting my bow dialed in and whatnot. he has a high speed cutter that he said i can use anytime just bring it up so thats what ill do. i wont need to buy one so i lucked out there. eventually ill buy one just so i can have it. my goal is to learn to do at least one thing new with my bow every year. im still nervous about using a bow press though. i went thru a crazy ordeal last year when i took my bow in to put a new drop away rest and the kid working at gander cracked my limb when he put it in the press so i was without a bow for over 2 weeks from the middle of October til almost the end. I was real upset. i was nervous doing it myself b/c of everything that can go wrong, thats why i took it into a so called prof that was supposed to know whats he doing and instead i miss 2 weeks of primetime action that i waited for all year long for. all the time money effort scouting. i refused from there on out to ever take my bow up there nor will i ever buy anything from their archery dept ever again. ill drive the extra 15 mins to another store than buy from them.

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »
Learned how myself on a Bohning. Pretty easy and sure beats going to the bowshop all the time and I like tinkering with my bow stuff!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline WNCDEERHUNTER

• Dec/10 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 05:18:15 AM »
The problem we have is archery shops coming and going - That's what convinced me many years ago to cut and fletch my own arrows. I think everyone's situation is probably a little different, but it is enjoyable to be able to learn and do these things for yourself.
U.S. Army - Veteran

N.C. Lifetime Sportsman

New Page 3

Google Ad