New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: I just shot left handed for the first time  (Read 2903 times)

Offline ordindy1

• 2013 Turkey Champion
  • 8 Point
  • There are none so blind as those that will not see
Re: I just shot left handed for the first time
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 07:43:45 AM »
I saw this post some time ago and am still confused.
With that first bow you said you grabbed the bow with your right hand and nocked the arrow with your left hand. If that is so you were shooting left handed.
As far as the left eye dominant thing goes.
I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed.
Been doing it for about 40 years with great success.
Turkey Championship Winner 2011, 2012 & 2013
Been hunting for 45 years.

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 10:50:27 PM »
 Sorry, I'm also dislexic too.  @--0--0105

Other way around. Grabbed with left, pulled back with right. I'll go edit that here in a second.

I've been shooting left handed with my bare bow, it's a huge difference for me. I literally cannot see the target consistently when shooting with my right eye (looking through the peep sight). Either I keep seeing brush and other stuff out of my left mixing in (whatever it's looking at), or if I close my left eye I end up seeing black inter spaced into the sight picture. I'm no eye doctor, but I just figured it's because my brain is trying to look through my eye even when it's closed.

The upshot is that when I look through sights with my right eye they keep appearing and disappearing. Even though it drove me crazy, I just thought it was normal and other people just weren't bugged by it like I was. I thought my husband was somehow a naturally better shooter with the bow than I was (even though he's much more of a gun guy) and that archery was one of those things that I liked, but just didn't have much/any talent for. I was hoping that I liked it enough to practice enough to make me at least proficient enough to hunt ethically even if I was never going to be "good".

The more I shoot, the more it seems I was completely wrong. It's great!

Tough to think of the other 18 years I could've been shooting better, but I'll take it! ;)

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 11:01:43 PM »
They just aren't that common... and because they are less produced they price them high to recoup the manufacturing cost. At least that's the story they'll give you. Personally I think they just price them where they want because they know someone has to buy them.

Yeah...I can't imagine the costs are *that* high as most of the bow still seems to be the same as the right hand version (string, cams ect...)

Found out the one I was looking at Cabelas is going to be on sale this weekend (black friday stuff) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed they might have one! :D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:04:19 PM by cuzsis »

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 07:32:54 AM »
They just aren't that common... and because they are less produced they price them high to recoup the manufacturing cost. At least that's the story they'll give you. Personally I think they just price them where they want because they know someone has to buy them.

Yeah...I can't imagine the costs are *that* high as most of the bow still seems to be the same as the right hand version (string, cams ect...)

Found out the one I was looking at Cabelas is going to be on sale this weekend (black friday stuff) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed they might have one! :D

I hope you can pick up the one you want at a decent price. That would be cool.
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline duane4238

• Fawn
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »
I, too, am a lefty and I shoot a PSE Firestorm Lite that cost me in the $300 range a few years ago. It has a 50lb. draw weight and weighs under 4 lbs.  PSE changed the name of the bow and updated it and it's now called a Stinger. It still sells for under $500. I know because my daughter's boyfriend bought one this year.  It's a really nice bow and is comfortable and easy to shoot.  It's also quite compact (about 31" long). The draw length is easily set by changing a cam to suit your length.  I'd highly recommend you look at one. Also check Ebay as they go a lot cheaper there.
Duane

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 01:33:26 AM »
 Success!

I had a chance to try it again and liked the action very much. It's the Diamond Razor Edge. The draw was fluid and the release was smooth (noticeably different than my older bow, which always gave me rather a jar on release.) Shot well for me and when I get it all set with my rest and sights it should shoot great! It goes from 30-60lbs so it's perfect range for me. From "Wow, I really got out of shape during the off season!" to "zip, thunk!"

Now, since I needed to get a new bow and since I figured this was likely the best price of the year, I more or less decided I would pick it up myself if I liked it. I just can't bring myself to ask for something this pricey as a Christmas gift. My husband though, had other ideas. He wouldn't even let me pay half for it. I'm still kind of overwhelmed. But I've still asked him to hide it and wrap it for Christmas for me. It's just too much fun unwrapping presents with the family in the morning! :)

Here is the bow (sorry about length...)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Archery/Bows/Compound-Bows|/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/104235480/i/103967280/Diamond-Archery-Razor-Edge-Package-150-Mossy-Oak174-Treestand174/1175607.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunting-archery-bows-compound-bows%2F_%2FN-1100005%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103967280%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat104791680%253Bcat104693580%253Bcat104235480%26pcrid%3D8194857297&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104791680%3Bcat104693580%3Bcat104235480%3Bcat103967280

The trick will be waiting for Christmas morning now...I feel like a little kid!  @--0--0123

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:36:01 AM by cuzsis »

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 01:39:26 AM »
I, too, am a lefty and I shoot a PSE Firestorm Lite that cost me in the $300 range a few years ago. It has a 50lb. draw weight and weighs under 4 lbs.  PSE changed the name of the bow and updated it and it's now called a Stinger. It still sells for under $500. I know because my daughter's boyfriend bought one this year.  It's a really nice bow and is comfortable and easy to shoot.  It's also quite compact (about 31" long). The draw length is easily set by changing a cam to suit your length.  I'd highly recommend you look at one. Also check Ebay as they go a lot cheaper there.
Duane

Yes! Those bows looked nice when I was paging through the interwebs! They were one of the next bows on my list to try if the Razor Edge wasn't going to work out. :)

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 01:40:33 AM »

I hope you can pick up the one you want at a decent price. That would be cool.

Thanks!  ;D

Offline NotRite

• 10 Point
  • 5lb-12oz Ky Spot Caught 5-06-12
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 08:42:17 AM »
Congrats cuzsis on finding you a new bow. I too will be looking for a left handed bow soon as I am planning on getting back into to bow hunting for deer and turkey. I remember long bow hunting for turkey...shoot....25yrs ago at least. People thought we were just plain stupid. We probably were/are stupid, just not for that reason. LOL. No one was hardly hunting turkey here then, let alone with a bow.
BASS member
K.I.S.S. member
(Keep It Simple Stupid)

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 07:36:29 PM »
Congrats on the new bow! Glad you found what you wanted. Looks like a great one too.
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

New Page 3

Google Ad