New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: I just shot left handed for the first time  (Read 2995 times)

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
I just shot left handed for the first time
« on: June 23, 2012, 08:46:01 PM »
I got my first bow about the time I was 12 or so. I was at a flea market and, without bothering to ask permission, plunked down $2 for a 20lb yellow fiberglass bow.

My mom was very understanding and allowed me to keep it. My uncles helped me string it and I went outside. Grabbed the bow with my left* hand, nocked the arrow with my right* and started plinking at soda cans. (**Edited for dyslexic moment. ;) )

I'm now 30 and have moved up in the world to compounds. I've never been able to practice as much as I'd like and always blamed my inconsistent shooting on that.

A few days ago I was talking to my husband (an avid gun shooter) while we and our 8yr old son were out shooting the airgun. I was having my usual trouble with the sights, after the first round or so they kept disappearing on me, and I would have to wait for them to "come back" before I could shoot. This was normal, but we were having a good time and so I complained good-naturedly about it as yet another pellet when zinging by the target completely missing it.

Suddenly, something clicked for my husband. My complaint, the fact that in my softball days I was a left handed batter (even though I'm right handed for most other things)... he had me do an eye dominance test. "Yes, I'm left eye dominant" I said pointing at the target, and proceeded to explain that it had bounced around a bit when I was younger, but seemed to have settled on my left eye.

He had me shoot the air rifle left handed. The sights stayed in once place.

Today we pulled out our old 30lb long bow from our high school days.

This time I shot left handed.

While my muscles didn't always do what I wanted them to (afterall, it was their first time doing this). The whole "point the arrow at what you're going to shoot and it will actually go there most of the time" was jaw dropping. I was nearly giddy! Just for kicks I relaxed on my zealously guarded archery form and the arrows *still* were grouping far better than I could've hoped for.

I had no idea shooting with your dominant eye could make this much of a difference!

My husband, for kicks, tried shooting with his non-dominant eye.

"How the heck did you shoot like this?" he asked

I'm seriously pumped here and had to share the good news!!! (Of course, now I've got work double time to train in the new muscles...)  %^$^

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:52:23 PM by cuzsis »

Offline capttrae

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • Mag Staff Writer
I just shot left handed for the first time
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »
That's great!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
Re: I just shot left handed for the first time
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 07:00:43 AM »
sounds like it is time to become a conformed lefty when shooting. It should make it much easier to shot well. @--0--0104
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Billythekid

• Button Buck
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 07:48:58 AM »
I think with this Revelation, congrats are in order. You just made your life easier. Also sounds like the hubby better to be ready to spring for a new lefty compound. Hot pink with a little bling!!! LOL

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 08:33:53 AM »
good news. i had the same issue w/ my daughter. luckily we figured it out shortly after buying her 1st bow so we could swap it out for a right handed bow.

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 08:40:05 AM »
welcome to the club have fun is what it is all about    @--0--0118
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »
Glad to hear that you finally got that straightened out .  @--0--0101
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline 5114TX

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
  • Never squat with your spurs on!!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 08:52:19 AM »
That'll certainly make hunting (and shooting) much better!!   Glad you figured it out!!     Take your time and be careful training those muscles to do something other than what they are used to.
They're ALL trophies...it's just that some are bigger than others!
      NRA member
"Lord, give me patience.....'cause if You give me strength, I'm gonna need bail money to go with it"!
      47 years, in pursuit!
Team "Non-typical"   '13 TH  DHC

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 09:02:23 PM »
Thanks everyone!  ;D

Slowly, but surely I've been working the main muscle groups into the new form with my old recurve. However, it's about time for me to start working on the smaller muscle groups (and more technical aspects of the shooting.)

Since, I'm going to be in need of a new bow now, I figured I should actually spring for something from this century (my other bow was a 90's relic, or so it seems. It was a craigslist special.)

I would like to keep the price below $500. I don't need the extra gear (sights, arrow rest ect..) since I can just transfer that from my old bow.

We live in a very brushy climate here on the west cascades. (Reference pic below)

...and I'm female, so something slightly smaller and lighter would probably be good?

We've got a Cabela's a couple hour drive away, and plan to go there in a few weeks to test shoot some bows. I wanted to check in with you guys to see if you had any recommendations for brands and/or product lines within brands that I should check out?

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 09:02:47 AM »
everyone will have a favorite  i would try lots of different one and pick what feels comfortable to you       @--0--0101 
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
USAF Veteran
Bow, Shotgun, & Muzzleloader Hunter
Acts 10:13 "...Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Proverbs 12:27 "...the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt."

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 02:08:26 AM »
Cabela's sells Bear archery, among others. Bear has a bow for the ladies called the "Siren", which should strike fear in any male in the world, but anyway... it's developed with the help of a lot of the top female archers and hunters.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Archery/Bows/Compound-Bows%7C/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/104235480/i/103967280/Bear-Archery-Siren-Bow/1299852.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunting-archery-bows-compound-bows%2F_%2FN-1100005%2B4294757261%2FNe-4294757261%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103967280%3FWTz_l%3DSEO%253Bcat104235480%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104235480%3Bcat103967280

According to the website it's available in right hand only....  @--0--0128

But I will still check it out! Perhaps they know where I can find a lefty! Thanks for sharing!!!  ;D

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 06:53:30 AM »

But I will still check it out! Perhaps they know where I can find a lefty! Thanks for sharing!!!  ;D

This one is LH. It comes in a package, but they prob could get it without the accessories.
http://www.walnutcreekarchery.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1818
USAF Veteran

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 08:10:08 PM »

This one is LH. It comes in a package, but they prob could get it without the accessories.
http://www.walnutcreekarchery.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1818

Nice!  I'm afraid it's probably going to be out of my price range (I'm hoping to stay under $500), but it's always good to try many different bows!

I didn't have much luck online or at Cabela's (found only one bow, and I can't seem to find it online now, so I'm not sure they carry it anymore), so we're headed to Nock Point here in the next week or so. I'll see if they have one there!

I'm about 1.5 months into Crossfit, so I'm pretty sure I can pull 50lbs well enough.

If I strike out at the Nock Point...man, I just don't know what I'm going to do. I had no idea finding a left handed hunting bow for under $500 was going to be so difficult...  @--0--0128
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:15:57 PM by cuzsis »

Offline Duane72

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 06:55:19 AM »
They just aren't that common... and because they are less produced they price them high to recoup the manufacturing cost. At least that's the story they'll give you. Personally I think they just price them where they want because they know someone has to buy them.
USAF Veteran

New Page 3

Google Ad