New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Was bit by the bug early  (Read 885 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Share Your Knowledge
Was bit by the bug early
« on: June 20, 2012, 05:34:57 PM »
I am going through all my old photos and ran across this old 1961 Christmas photo and thought I would share it with the TH family. I have gotten my first 410 in 1959, when I had just turned 10, then in 1960 got my first 22 rifle and then in 1961 at the old age of 12, because I was a good boy, got this Ben Person Recurve Bow plus quiver and arrows. Look at the box that the bow cam in. The bow was taller than I was back then..LOL..took it deer hunting with me a lot but never got a deer with it. Missed a bunch of deer with it, just scared them. No sights nothing just a good guesstimate where the arrow would hit and let the arrow fly.

When I turned 21, it was time to upgrade and purchased me a Bear Whitetail Hunter Compound (the one with 6 wheels on it) the day before opening day. I found one and only one left handed and it was way to long of a draw for me but fixed it up with sights and something called fiberglass arrows...LOL..did manage to take my first deer with it a year or two later. A button buck at 20 yards. He was standing behind a huge pine tree and I drew back and when he stepped out from behind the tree, I let the arrow fly and he came out with his head down and whack the arrow hit him in the head and he went down...headache number 1. But used that bow for over 10 years until it was time to upgrade again.

In 86, purchased a PSE Mach Flite 4 and used it for years - Had to get fitted for the bow, it was like trying on a pair of shows, measure this and measure that, practice shooting, adjust this and adjust that...Had to get new aluminum arrows and broadheads and headed out to Colorado on my first Elk Hunt. Took 3 Elk in then next 5 years and all were close shots, 7 yards, 11 yards and 17 yards. I have used it for over 20 years and have taken many deer with it over the years.

I hurt my should at work and when I shot to bow more than 5 times, my left elbow really started hunting me. So I knew it was time for a crossbow. Last year purchased another PSE and this one is the TAC15i. Have not even shot it yet due to the knee problems I am having and will miss this years archery season. But next spring will be out in full force with it, getting to know inside and out.

I just wanted you guys to know that I got bitten by the bug early and still have all the bows I have every owned. The picture being over 50 years old is in real good shape....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
Re: Was bit by the bug early
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »
Bo... You poor man! Ha Ha! I still hunt with a Whitetail Hunter! Just upgraded to aluminum... LOL  %^$^

As a matter of fact the following three pictures are my trials and tribulations mounting and sighting in the peep eliminator. A 10 day progression from pic one to pic three. The first two are 10 arrow groups and the last one I didn't want to mess it up so quit at 6. Muscles get tired you know. These all were at 30 yards and with a little more practice I think I'm ready... to take a nap... in the hot-tub... with a beer... well it's just an idea... LOL
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Possum

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Was bit by the bug early
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »
That's Awesome Bo should make that photo your avatar.
That PSE Crossbow I saw at the ATA show all I could say is WOW

Sent from Possum's iPad using Tapatalk HD
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »
Awesome story bo. Nothing like the first bow and first gun. They are treasures for sure. I still have the .410 my grandpa let me cut my teeth on. Love the picture,looks like someone forgot it was picture day.lol Love the hair.

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »

great story  thanks for sharing and the pic too!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
Was bit by the bug early
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 08:12:08 PM »
Neat story Bo. We need a "bo's adventures" column in every magazine issue!  Just to keep things real you know...
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:39:33 PM »
Great picture and a cool story, thanks for sharing. Look like Dutch is getting the hang of the peep eliminator.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:44:11 PM »
great story Bo, thank you nice picture also.

I still have my first firearm that I got for christmas whewn I was 15, a Western Field 12 gauge pump made by Noble manufacturing in Haydenville, Massachusetts. Noble Manufacturing has been out of business sinse sometime in the early 70's. I us to fish in the river below their plant as a teenager.

Dutch, looks like you have the peep eleminator down now
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • trukey season next
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »
you look cool in the picture.      i still have my first gun it is my pellet gun still kills things dead
turkey season near you sooning come on may 1

dave 1211

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 06:51:09 AM »
Great picture there Cuz... I've still got my .410 I got for Christmas when I was 10. Cedar arrows remember them well. I had several misses with my recruve that I got at 14 and I still have it too. Great story thanks for sharing!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

New Page 3

Google Ad