talkhuntin.com
Thank you for visiting the TalkHunting Community. We encourage you to register and jump right in. Since membership is free, what do you have to lose? This is a place to learn, have fun, share your experiences and express ideas. As a member, you can add your own comments and topics, participate in the promotions and really enjoy all that TalkHunting has to offer.

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to view pictures or post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. Our members can register for monthly prize drawings, enter contests and share their knowledge and stories of this great sport with others. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

Don

Author Topic: Savage Axis 243 Youth  (Read 10584 times)

Offline russcat

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • R-I-P "Big John"
Savage Axis 243 Youth
« on: June 18, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »
 I apologize if this has been asked before.

I'm looking for a good bolt action in .243 for my 8 year old son.  Eventhough I own two Savage rifles myself and have a very high opinion of Savage I don't know anything about the Axis.  I realize it doesn't have the accutrigger but I'm more concerned about putting a quality and reliable rifle in his hands that will give him many years of service.  I'll tell you now I'm out on the Remington 770 with all the plastic on it.

I can't spend the big bucks for high end gun.  But looking on Gun Broker.com I see there are a lot of Savage Axis Youth Rifles for sale in .243 and most are new in the box.   The price range is doable.  But I wanted to run it by the experts here to see if anyone knows how this gun is built and if I could expect the accuracy and reliability I have experienced with my Model 10's.  Any input would be appreciated!
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Offline yari

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
Re: Savage Axis 243 Youth
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 12:29:08 PM »
good choice russ. i bought one for my daughter last year. shoots great. it's killed 2 deer and a yote so far. almost no kick for a rifle

keep an eye open for sales. i think you can pick one up for under $300 w/ a scope new. scope is ok for a beginner. nothing fancy

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:29:24 PM »
Nice write regarding the Savage Axis, looks like a real nice rifle for the money.

http://www.gunblast.com/Savage-Axis243.htm
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
50 years hunting experience

Offline russcat

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • R-I-P "Big John"
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 01:13:26 PM »
Thanks Yari and Split Toe.  That makes me feel better.  Especially that article (review) on the Axis.

I'll keep looking but so far the Axis is where I'm leaning.....unless Bo or PA talks me out of it!  @--0--0105
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Online Dutch-Hunter

• Prize Team
  • TH Staff - Team Leader
  • 12 Point
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »
russcat, This is a perfect weapon to start you boy on. I have always been a Savage fan (I own 11). Their barrels are the most consistanly accurate factory tunes you can find. The biggest improvement Savage made with the Axis design is the bolt slide. As you know the older model Savage's were a little herky-jerky not so with the Axis. The old problem of magazine handing rounds in the Model 110's is not present either.

The Axis outfits with a bore sighted scope mounted are a great deal for a first time rifle owner. Stick with the 243 caliber, your boys confidence will come easier if the gun does not beat him up. After he has progressed beyond the scopes capability then switch it to a higher grade optic and warch his skill soar.

I don't think pa, Bo or anyone would argue that the Axis is the BEST starting weapon for the investment.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 16 Point
  • deer season is in a field near you
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »
we sell the savage and the rem 770 to me the savage is a much better gun  my own opinion
deer season what's not to love  
sent from my home computer

Blondie and the NY Slugger team

dave 1211

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Board Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 07:48:52 PM »
The Savage Axis is a nice looking gun and I have heard only good things about it for the price. It is hard to beat the 243 for a beginners round for young folks. Accurate and little or no kick. A fun round to shoot
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
Life Member of NAHC
NY lifetime sporting License holder
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
Attended 2009 Eastern Party
Attended 2010 Campout
Attended 2010 NE party
attended the 2011 SummerBlast

Offline BoBallistic

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • 12 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 08:38:05 PM »
RussCat - I agree with everyone here! I too am a big Savage fan. This should be a great rifle for him for about 5, 6 or even 7 years...just put a good ProStaff of Bushnell or ??. Add a scope for around $150 to $200, including rings and base and then you are set for the next step...finding out what ammo it likes....don't go to light on the round start about 75 to 80 gains and go up from there...get a hard case for it as well...good luck...let us know what setup you end up with....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
Butts County Sportsman Asso Member
53+ Years in the woods
19 yrs of Western Elk/Muley Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris

Offline russcat

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • R-I-P "Big John"
Savage Axis 243 Youth
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 10:16:30 PM »
Bo I did see where this gun is made with a 1:9 twist.  Do you still suggest starting with 75-80 grain with that twist rate?
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Offline pa deerslayer

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 03:11:16 AM »
russcat,for a long time now i have been buying used,or what is considered low grade factory produced rifles because of the price of rifles now a days.I have always been a savage fan,agree with bo,every youth should have good optics,its hard enough for them being so excited the first few years anyway,and remember get him a scope which has the biggest field of view u can, cause usually its hard for them to pickup the deer in the scope especially in deep woods.I started my grandsons all on 4x12 x50 scopes the 50s offer wider field of view and they all needed it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:13:42 AM by pa deerslayer »

Offline russcat

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • R-I-P "Big John"
Savage Axis 243 Youth
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 08:11:55 AM »
PA his gun will have good optics.
You may remember I bought him a H&R Handi Rifle in 22-250 last year. We put a leupold 3x9x50 on it. The gun just don't shoot good. Lucky to keep it in a 4" group at 100 yds off the bench. I'm planning on mounting this leupold on his new rifle and selling his 22-250. I normally don't sell guns but this H&R 22-250 is a scatter shooter.

I'm thinking of getting me an Axis in 22-250 and Logan an Axis in .243.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Offline yari

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 08:46:50 AM »
russ, just a suggestion. i started emily shooting a scoped savage .22 to get her comfortable shooting a scope. i'm sure we put well over 1000 rounds through it. we didn't shoot the .243 until right before she shot her 1st deer. worked great and she had no fear of the .243(even though it doesn't kick much it's still big to them)

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • 12 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 09:13:29 AM »
RussCat - Thanks for the question. Most 243's and I say most, have a 10 twist (1 revolution of the bullet for every 10" of barrel). When I made my post yesterday, I assume that it was 10. That is why I said to start with 75 to 80 gn bullets and work your way up. I own 4 - 243's and all have 10 twist (I measured to make sure) and two of the like th 70 to 80 gn bullets and the two others like the 95 to 100 gn bullets. So each rifle has it's own personality when it comes to ammo, especially factory ammo.

Now you said that the rifle has 9" twist, that would tend me to be leaning toward heavier bullets. So start with 90 and to 100 gns. Don't be afraid to change ammo manufacturers. Keep your targets and record what ammo you are using along with dates, weather conditions, wind, etc., and save your targets! I have thousands of targets I have shot over the years that has filled up 2 full size file cabinets. 

Take you son to the range a lot and both of you practice - a lot. Be sure to break the rifle barrel by cleaning it after each shot for 25 to 35 times. Take your cleaning rod and lots of patches and solvent to the range. You don't have to super clean the barrel after each shot, just run a couple of wet patches down the barrel and then about 5 dry patches. Each time you fire the barrel the bullet comes in contact with the barrel and the copper jacket will peel back and stick to the rifle groves. Sort of like food in your teeth after you eat. LOL...But also the bullet will hit the lans of the barrel and take off a micro part of the barrel, the ignition blast also take some of it out as well, but we are talking micro size particles. Military 308 sniper rifle barrels last up to 5000 rounds before they change them out. Most of them are changed out long before that. I own 10 - 308's and have not worn one out yet...LOL...When you shoot your rifle, the bullet is actually honing your barrel, it actual helps it. The more you shoot most rifles the better the more accurate they shoot. My 270 Win in a Winchester Model 70A did not start shooting good until I had about 200 rounds down the barrel. Now days, it shoots dime size groups at 100 yards. I reload for it and have found that magic combo.

Be patience with the rifle and your son. The rifle will shoot good as long as you listen to it - that is - looking at your targets. Also when you are breaking in the barrel, take you a cooler of drinks and snacks and be prepared to spend a few hours there. Wait at least 5 minutes between your shots so the barrel doesn't get that hot. You will need two or even three boxes of ammo to do a good barrel break-in. Buy two different brands and bullet weights of ammo. That way you can start your journey in finding out what shoots good in the rifle. Good Luck...

Yari - Good Suggestions....

PS - On the 22-250 you plan to sell - Did you do the above to it? Proper barrell break-in and tried different ammo in it?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:18:59 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
NWTF Member
SCI Member
Butts County Sportsman Asso Member
53+ Years in the woods
19 yrs of Western Elk/Muley Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris

Offline russcat

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • R-I-P "Big John"
Savage Axis 243 Youth
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 11:03:46 AM »
Thanks for the info Bo.

Yes I did go thru the break in process with the 22-250 very close to your suggestions above. PA helped me through that. I've tried at least 6 different bullet brands and 3 different weights. They all suck thru this gun. I've probably put 150 rounds thru it and it still doesn't group well at all. And my rest is identical to yours. I saw your set up in another post. After about 150 rounds with no improvement I've pretty much given up on this gun. I can take my savage model 10 .223 and my weatherby mark V .270 to the range and easily shoot sub 1" groups at 100 yds. But the 22-250 has no consistency at all.  I don't have much in it and didnt expect sub 1" groups with it, but I was hoping I would get lucky and it would be useable. Eventhough I've shot at and killed 3 yotes with it I just can't live with 4" groups at 100 yds.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Offline russcat

• TH Staff - Prize Team
  • R-I-P "Big John"
Savage Axis 243 Youth
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 11:50:56 AM »
russ, just a suggestion. i started emily shooting a scoped savage .22 to get her comfortable shooting a scope. i'm sure we put well over 1000 rounds through it. we didn't shoot the .243 until right before she shot her 1st deer. worked great and she had no fear of the .243(even though it doesn't kick much it's still big to them)

good luck
Sorry Yari I missed this post. Thanks for the suggestions.
Logan has been shooting for 2-3 years now. I started him with a pellet gun (scoped) and one with open sights. And he's probably shot 500 rounds thru my 10/22. Then I got him on my .223 and then the 22-250. He has shot about 50 rounds thru the 22-250. I always put ear muffs on him which has helped a lot with getting him calm for the shot. I've nicknamed him "sherrif dead eye". He loves it when I call him that.  The little toot takes his time and can shoot!

A couple months ago I filled several 2 liter bottles with water and let him shoot them with the 22-250 with hornady vmax bullets. He loved it. Now all he wants to use is "the exploding bullets" lol.

We haven't started practicing without the rest yet. But once I get his new rifle broke in and him comfortable shootin it I will start teaching him how to shoot from different positions. Hopefully by November he will be ready. I hope to put him on his first deer this season.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

New Page 3

Fall Hunting Classic Online at Basspro.com